General Topics/Tech Tips Discussion on break in periods, rider comfort, seats and pad suggestions. Tech tips as they become available will be posted here.

FLHTCUSE troubles

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2019, 08:57 AM
Goretto
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FLHTCUSE troubles

I live in Jakarta, Indonesia and I recently purchased a FLHTCUSE with, wait for it, 9,000 miles on it, although I'm under no illusion that is correct. The bike is stock except for free flow modified original exhaust.

I would like to preface with this: roads in Jakarta are congested to say the least. A lot of traffic jams and intense, humid heat during the day. Roads are in poor conditions with a lot of pot holes and uneven roads. Motorbikes are not allowed on the motorway so we rarely get to ride the bike fast unless we go touring outside of the capital but even then it's still no motorway, just quieter (and beautiful) roads. Maybe we do about 45MPH on average during those times.

First troubles came on the way home when I lost the clutch due to heat in traffic jams. Got the hydraulic fluid changed and so far so good.

Then I started getting troubles like in this video:

When the bike gets hot and I stop somewhere and restart the bike shortly after, the above occurs. Sometimes I can restart in the first try sometimes after the 5th or more time. The last time this occurred was this morning after I had oil coming out of the air cleaner. It was quite a bit of oil, spraying allover the crank case, exhaust, bags and yours truly, with a lot of white smoke when it hit the hot bits (excluding me).

At this stage I felt the engine was very hot to the point where it was uncomfortable on my legs. Stopped the bike for a couple minutes and had some troubles starting again like on the video.

Later that day, I stopped again for a few minutes and had even more troubles starting the bike.

The owner of the garage is a friend and while not a mechanic himself, he's been riding Harleys for a long time and owns several show rooms. He reckons the oil is bad, as in the wrong kind. It's dark and too liquid according to him. It wouldn't surprise me because it looks like the bike got some shoddy work done to it in the past. I will replace the oil this week.

I also have an engine light coming on after starting. So I turn the ignition, flick the on switch, engine light comes on (normal) while the fuel pump does its thing, then I start the bike and the engine light comes back on for a couple seconds then off.

Last week, after facing similar troubles, I ended up with a solid engine light and battery charge light. Took it to the mechanic who showed me a busted rotor. He fixed that along with some electric issues in the fairing as well as a busted front motor mount.

After replacing the mount (Drag Specialties, old style kind), I've noticed some fairly strong vibrations at low rpm. Say, I'm stopping at a stop light, as soon as the needle crosses down the 2k mark, I feel those vibrations through he fairing, crotch and floor boards.

Next, I feel that from 3rd to 4th gear, I don't get much engine pull at all. Feel very sluggish, like I tist the throttle but the bike hardly pushes.

There is also this noise that I can clearly hear from the air cleaner, a kind of "knocking" sound on rhythm with the engine although I feel this is the cooling system kicking due to heat. I tried to look around for something lose, even the push rod covers, air cleaner, etc. Nothing that I can see externally.

Oh and I also had an error code for idling problems. I can't remember exactly, something about irregular idle.

So to sum up:
- hard start when hot with smoke coming out of the air cleaner
- oil coming out of air cleaner when bike is very hot
- engine light coming on for a couple seconds after engine start
- knocking sound coming from air cleaner (that's where I hear it lost but feels like the sound is inside the engine and coming out through the air cleaner)
- low pull in 3rd and 4th gear (haven't event had the chance to go to 5th geary yet).
- vibrations at idle.

Aside from the above, anything I should be looking out for? I've already read extensively about the cam chain tensioners, so I shall get those checked soon.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Old 01-13-2019, 09:06 PM
Nitro 54
Road Master
Received 81 Likes on 67 Posts

What year is your bike ???????

Old 01-13-2019, 09:13 PM
Ed Ramberger
Stellar HDF Member
Received 888 Likes on 622 Posts

Flhtcuse = 2006

Old 01-13-2019, 10:39 PM
Goretto
Stage III

Originally Posted by nitro 54
what year is your bike ???????
​​

Old 01-14-2019, 08:44 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,853 Likes on 2,420 Posts

Hi from the UK and welcome to HDF. Your bike is obviously a CVO, also a Touring model and HDF has dedicated sections for both of those. You will reach many more members by posting in one of them, but take a look around in both first, to get an idea of which is most suitable. Best of luck sorting your bike.

Old 01-14-2019, 08:51 AM
Goretto
Stage III

Originally Posted by grbrown
Hi from the UK and welcome to HDF. Your bike is obviously a CVO, also a Touring model and HDF has dedicated sections for both of those. You will reach many more members by posting in one of them, but take a look around in both first, to get an idea of which is most suitable. Best of luck sorting your bike.
Hi and thank you for the welcome.

Would you mind moving this thread to the Touring forum?

Thank you.