Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Flat Tire Repair??

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2011, 07:35 AM
FLHTCU Owner
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Well, I have this kit with me and I would not hesitate to use it if I had a flat tire.

Name:  untitled.png
Views: 2254
Size:  607.2 KB

Old 06-24-2011, 07:39 AM
galtjunk
Stellar HDF Member
Received 287 Likes on 153 Posts

I used the mushroom shaped plug from the Stop & Go repair kit on my rear tire. The plug outlasted the tire.

I would use it again.

Old 06-24-2011, 07:58 AM
stewy1200c
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I picked up a nail in my rear tire, lucky enough to make it to my indy. He didn't want to plug it, but if I had insisted he would have patched and pluged it. It sucked to buy a tire with only 5000mi on the bike, but he said why take a chance with it. There's only 2 wheels and on the road running 60 if it lets go, it wouldn't be good.

Old 06-24-2011, 08:29 AM
kpb46
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is what I use. I fixed a tire using this. Ran until it wore out. When I replaced it I took the old (plugged) tire home and tried to get the plug out. I almost had to destroy the tire to get it out

http://www.stopngo.com/products/Pock...ess-Tires.html

Old 06-24-2011, 09:55 AM
relli
Road Warrior
Received 19 Likes on 3 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by sl954
50 people will tell you you shouldn't plug it. 50 people will tell you it's not a problem running a plugged tire.
Plug kits are cheap. pick one up at the hardware store and do it yourself. I doupt the dealer will do it for you.
ive been a tire man for 50 years. i have never had a "PROPERLY PLUGGED" tire with a problem. plugged my frt tire.

Old 06-24-2011, 10:30 AM
TexasSG
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kpb46
This is what I use. I fixed a tire using this. Ran until it wore out. When I replaced it I took the old (plugged) tire home and tried to get the plug out. I almost had to destroy the tire to get it out

http://www.stopngo.com/products/Pock...ess-Tires.html
Thanks for the link, I've been wanting to get that kit, just ordered the one with the CO2 cartridges.

I've been in the tire business for 26 years now (started out in a 126 degree hell-hole recapping tires @ 18 years old, ran an over-the-road service truck, busted tires in a high volume shop, managed a store, etc, etc.) and have dealt with just about everything under the sun related to tires.
I have never seen a failure that was proven to be related to plugging or patching a tire and have never had a tire failure due to a patch or plug.

Don't patch or plug a damaged tire and you'll be fine.

Old 06-24-2011, 11:26 AM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 308 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by Jinks
Even if you elect to put a tube in you'll have the tire off the rim anyway so you should patch the hole in the tire. A patch & a tube will give you a better chance of avoiding problems later. That being said, I doubt you'll find a motorcycle dealer that will do it. Too much liability involved & they loose the sale of a tire. Good luck.
If you put a tube in it the patch is basically useless. If the tube gets a hole it will leak. The tire won't hole air because the valve stem of the tube is not sealed in the rim.
If you are going through the effort to put a tube in it spend the extra $80 (or whatever) and just replace the tire.
Me I'd put a plug in it. Most dealers, bike and tire shops won't.

Old 06-24-2011, 11:54 AM
THABULL
Road Master

Plug it and ride it , the very reason I had the dealer take off the laced wheels before delivery! I have had to plug about every rear tire and have never had a problem!

Old 06-24-2011, 12:42 PM
j1mmy
Elite HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

people will say you cant repair a tire..they ether dont know and are repeating what they were told,or the shop wants you to pay a lot of money for another tire..of course you can patch it or put a tube inside..the same tire fits a laced rim with a tube..plugs are only for a temp fix and not a good idea on motorcycles anyway

Old 06-25-2011, 05:42 PM
FLSTF2001
6th Gear

Thanks for all the good information. I didn't mean to inspire another "plug vs don't plug" debate.
I was surprised that my dealership (Grand Junction HD) suggested putting in a tube.
I'm definitely adding a tire plugging kit to my on-board tool kit. I wouldn't have a problem running a plugged tire, but think I would put a tube in it as soon as possible just for peace-of-mind.
Anyway, it was nice to spend $30 on a tube and rim sleeve vs $200 for a new tire.

Quick Reply: Flat Tire Repair??