Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

bad lifter????

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2013, 09:17 PM
TO34
Road Warrior
Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

See this quick post I am very pleased with my lifters.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/engin...ved-today.html

Old 12-17-2015, 04:11 PM
navybuff
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a bit of a different problem that I suspect a lifter issue, would like to get some feedback here..., standby for a long story:

Bike: 2012 Ultra 103, 40K miles on the clock, regular recommended service, on time and complete.

On a Alaska trip this year (first the Ferry to Anchorage and then the ride home to California). The bike started to miss near the Canadian Border.

I'll spare you the details of the numerous HD dealer stops but as of today Harley has told me that there is nothing they can do to fix it. Here is what has been done:

Last year- 551 Cams, ran fine to Washington dc & back.

Since the problem has started, HD has done the following:

Coil, Wires, TMAP sensor, CPK, O2 sensors, Battery, checked all connectors, diagnosed, and finally the ECM.

The problem never happens until the bike is hot (running down the road). Cold runs fine.

It is now in a private shop and on a dyno and he has made it miss after a warmup, the ecm was NOT the problem. However he reports that the rear cylinder pressure is over 200 psi when it misses and I was wondering if this could be a lifter bleed-off issue on the exhaust valve causing the valve not to open fully and clearing the chamber completely, this has been 3 months that this is going on with different dealers. Really guys, I am guessing here and need your ideas... Thanks....

Last edited by navybuff; 12-17-2015 at 04:13 PM.
Old 12-17-2015, 06:15 PM
wscott
Road Warrior
Received 136 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by navybuff
I have a bit of a different problem that I suspect a lifter issue, would like to get some feedback here..., standby for a long story:

Bike: 2012 Ultra 103, 40K miles on the clock, regular recommended service, on time and complete.

On a Alaska trip this year (first the Ferry to Anchorage and then the ride home to California). The bike started to miss near the Canadian Border.

I'll spare you the details of the numerous HD dealer stops but as of today Harley has told me that there is nothing they can do to fix it. Here is what has been done:

Last year- 551 Cams, ran fine to Washington dc & back.

Since the problem has started, HD has done the following:

Coil, Wires, TMAP sensor, CPK, O2 sensors, Battery, checked all connectors, diagnosed, and finally the ECM.

The problem never happens until the bike is hot (running down the road). Cold runs fine.

It is now in a private shop and on a dyno and he has made it miss after a warmup, the ecm was NOT the problem. However he reports that the rear cylinder pressure is over 200 psi when it misses and I was wondering if this could be a lifter bleed-off issue on the exhaust valve causing the valve not to open fully and clearing the chamber completely, this has been 3 months that this is going on with different dealers. Really guys, I am guessing here and need your ideas... Thanks....
====================

AH,you resurrected a 2 & 3/4 yr old thread.

Anyway,as long as ign has been verified to still be ok to cyls thats misfiring when hot then id think possible issue with lifter-s,worn cam lobe & or even SVS/sticky valve syndrome wher valve stem expands enough when hot getting stuck in valve guide at times (but not all the time like when checking compression) which is most likely to happen on ex valve if thats whats happening which can & does happen.

Could also be a very weak & or cracked-broken valve spring too.

Good luck.

scott

Last edited by wscott; 12-17-2015 at 06:19 PM.
Old 12-17-2015, 11:23 PM
navybuff
Novice

Thanks Scott, can you point me to those threads?

Ken

Old 12-18-2015, 07:25 AM
navybuff
Novice
Default Update to Previous

I talked with Barry today about current status and he has run out of things to check. He checked the cam positioning and chain tension. It's right on. He said about the only thing left is mechanical. He says he is reading High Air to Liquid Ratios (ALR) between 13 to 1 sometimes 14 to 1 when they should be about 11 to 1 when running properly. Barry also thinks this is because not all the previous stroke ALR mixture has been released or because it has been reintroduced into the combustion chamber due to a leaking valve, maybe due to valve and valve seat misalignment or a sticky valve.

Anyway, the bike is missing pretty regularly now. I have a full warranty (active) and HD says they will not / can not fix it.... Its going to a business here in Temecula...

Old 12-23-2015, 03:22 PM
navybuff
Novice

Originally Posted by navybuff
I talked with Barry today about current status and he has run out of things to check. He checked the cam positioning and chain tension. It's right on. He said about the only thing left is mechanical. He says he is reading High Air to Liquid Ratios (ALR) between 13 to 1 sometimes 14 to 1 when they should be about 11 to 1 when running properly. Barry also thinks this is because not all the previous stroke ALR mixture has been released or because it has been reintroduced into the combustion chamber due to a leaking valve, maybe due to valve and valve seat misalignment or a sticky valve.

Anyway, the bike is missing pretty regularly now. I have a full warranty (active) and HD says they will not / can not fix it.... Its going to a business here in Temecula...
Update: Found the problem, Barry indicated that when he had the tank off and checking the wiring he just touched the ground wire to the TMAX sensor and it fell off... Testing tomorrow to be sure but he says that is why the high ALR readings would happen...