Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do you clean your wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2011, 09:16 PM
JohnTM
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do you clean your wheels?

I've had my RKC for 2 months now and my chrome wheels are not shinny any more. I got myself some chrome cleaner and shined up the front wheel - just the right hand side - real good. I figured out that every few times the wheel will stop at a different spot in my garage and after a couple of times I'll be done.
Yes, now my problem. How do I clean the rear wheel and the left sides?

Old 08-14-2011, 09:35 PM
Palau
Advanced

John, There is no easy answer here; however, a motorcycle jack makes the job much easier.

1) remove the saddle bags
2) raise the bike on the motorcycle jack
3) put the bike in neutral
4) find something low to sit on
5) and polish to your heart's content

Good luck.

Old 08-14-2011, 09:47 PM
Morris9982
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

On my bike, I remove the saddle bags before washing the bike and they spray a wheel cleaner from Griot's Garage on both wheels. The cleaner is supposed to be safe for all types of wheels and I have not seen any type of issue so far (after two years).

Griot's also offers a chrome wheel cleaner but I have not tried it as the wheels on my bike and my car are aluminum.

The cleaner seems to help remove any residue on the wheels. I do try to wipe as much as I can with a wash mitt and then rinse the wheels.

After finishing the rest of the bike, I do something similar to what Palau suggested. I have a center stand on my bike and I sit on the floor of the garage and using a clean microfiber cloth, I spray the cloth with a product called Z-6 from Zaino. This product cleans off any residue left behind and also any water spots. It also leaves a protective coating that helps make the wheel easier to clean the next time.

I have the Z-6 on hand as that is what I use as a detailing spray on both my car and my bike.

Wheel cleaner I use:
http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/...rrivals&page=1

Z-6:
http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/...oduct_Count=11

Old 08-14-2011, 09:49 PM
D2R
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get yourself a lift or a jack of some kind.Wire wheels look great but are a chore to keep clean.I raise the bike up stick the sissor jack under the front or rear and can spin the tire.Makes detailing and servicing a breeze.

Attached Thumbnails How do you clean your wheels?-kllift003-1-.jpg  
Old 08-14-2011, 10:05 PM
Matt0987
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I just did this last week on my RKC. I have the aluminum wheels so I do not have the grooves of a steel rim. However, I wash my bike on the motorcycle lift. I remove the saddlebags, get down low (but not as low as if the bike were sitting on the floor), and wash the rear wheel. With the disc brake on one side and the sprocket on the other there is no easy way.

The front is easier. I just sit on a chair and work my way around. With the lift the bike is up high enough to work with the rim without too much leaning over.

I use Adam's Detail Spray on the chrome. Once the chrome is clean and shiney I use this stuff and it makes the chrome shine and sparkle. And it seems to give it some depth.

Last edited by Matt0987; 08-14-2011 at 10:11 PM.
Old 08-14-2011, 10:11 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 929 Likes on 571 Posts

Simple. I don't clean them.

Old 08-14-2011, 10:45 PM
Texas Fat Boy
Extreme HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

get a Motorcycle/ATV jack. Simple to use, cheap and you can spin the wheels to clean.
I've got the red sears jack. It's a cheap jack but it works.

Old 08-15-2011, 12:08 PM
JohnTM
Tourer

Thanks to everyone for the help. My wheels are standard Road King Classis, so I assume they are chrome. Right?
My thoughts were to go to a car wash that has that self service high pressured "wand"" or hose and just high pressure wash the wheels and maybe even the entire bike. Is this bad judgement and can actually hurt it? What if I was careful and just high pressure washed wheels and brake pads?

Old 08-15-2011, 12:16 PM
Capecodgirl
Cruiser

Hate to say it, but I never clean my wheels. Until i get new Rims that blend in better with my blacked out bike, i'll just stay away from the extra work.... I imagine the could actually eventually get as black! hmmm , just a thought!

Old 08-15-2011, 01:16 PM
jberg
Road Warrior
Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

High pressure washes are never a good idea. They can spray the grease right out of some bearings and can put water in places it could never get from rain. It probably wouldn't get the wheels clean enough anyway.The only answer for clean wheels is what most have said. Remove bags, raise the bike on a jack and work at it. I also traded my un-cleanable Knuckle style wheels for some nice 9 spoke chrome wheels. Now it's almost a pleasure to polish them.

Quick Reply: How do you clean your wheels?