Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SE Comp

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2011, 07:35 PM
alphadog001
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1fathog
Anyone have the part number for the latest SE Compensator listed above?
40274-08A is the latest SE comp part number

Old 08-29-2011, 07:36 PM
hoethree
Elite HDF Member
Received 68 Likes on 20 Posts

Every time I see this subject come up in a post I get pissed. Its all I have read about since getting my 2010 StreetGlide last year. I got so concerned about it that I talked with the Service Manager at the largest dealership in the area, where I bought my bike. I told him all the things I had read on the forum about compensator failures and resulting damage to bikes. He got really stiff-shirted about it and proceeded to supposedly look up on his computer how many compensators they had replaced in recent time. He told me they had only replaced THREE in the past TWO YEARS! Then he told me I should not believe everything I read on the internet. All the while giving me a look like I was a big dumbass for even asking. He reassured me that if anything happened to my bike while under warranty that it would be taken care of correctly. I offered then to have them replace my stock compensator and I would pay the diff in price for the SE compensator. He said he could not do that until the compensator failed. Thank you very much. Well, with 19K on the odometer I guess I will ride until the bomb explodes, hopefully before February 2012. It has always BANGED when starting, it has a vibration around 3K on the tachometer since day one, and makes so many noises I dont know which are good and which are bad. If I make it to the end of the warranty and it hasnt failed by then I will replace it on my own dime at that time. Fingers crossed.

Old 08-30-2011, 12:34 PM
rkoivisto
Road Warrior
Received 80 Likes on 38 Posts
Default replacement comp

If you go to the dealer with your symptoms and let them decide the compensator needs to be replaced, I bet you have better luck. I think there's a certain hostility most dealers have with internet information. But let it be their idea and you both will be happy.

Just a thought.

Old 08-30-2011, 01:01 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,570 Likes on 2,888 Posts

Hit up multiple dealers with your issue and I bet one of them will do the swap.

Old 08-30-2011, 07:31 PM
neverhme
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hoethree
Every time I see this subject come up in a post I get pissed. Its all I have read about since getting my 2010 StreetGlide last year. I got so concerned about it that I talked with the Service Manager at the largest dealership in the area, where I bought my bike. I told him all the things I had read on the forum about compensator failures and resulting damage to bikes. He got really stiff-shirted about it and proceeded to supposedly look up on his computer how many compensators they had replaced in recent time. He told me they had only replaced THREE in the past TWO YEARS! Then he told me I should not believe everything I read on the internet. All the while giving me a look like I was a big dumbass for even asking. He reassured me that if anything happened to my bike while under warranty that it would be taken care of correctly. I offered then to have them replace my stock compensator and I would pay the diff in price for the SE compensator. He said he could not do that until the compensator failed. Thank you very much. Well, with 19K on the odometer I guess I will ride until the bomb explodes, hopefully before February 2012. It has always BANGED when starting, it has a vibration around 3K on the tachometer since day one, and makes so many noises I dont know which are good and which are bad. If I make it to the end of the warranty and it hasnt failed by then I will replace it on my own dime at that time. Fingers crossed.
I'm with ya, very frustated with harley, and the dealers, I've tried 4, not one would help, I find myself talking like some othere's on here, 2 year warrenty that no one will honor, cupped, vibrating, over priced tires, and this. As far as the thread, the new number is -8a they are on back order, due to be released september 2nd. I paid full pop for mine, with the primary gasket and a quart of fluid, about 300.00, its not right, but my peace of mind, and future down time will hurt me more.

Old 08-30-2011, 07:42 PM
JayStronghawk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 279 Likes on 214 Posts

Guess I am Lucky .. Told my Dealer having all the symptoms of a Bad Compensator .. They replaced it with an SE .. No Charge ..

Old 08-30-2011, 08:34 PM
speakerfritz
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

"He told me they had only replaced THREE in the past TWO YEARS!"
obviously they are spending their time on low effort high return cash cows like bike services that include bike washes (oil change and shake and pull inspections). They probally have no records of stator , inner primary, volt regulators, trans main bearing, starter, etc replacements either. No incidence of heat issues, 6th gear clacking, etc.

all is good in cash cow land.

Old 08-30-2011, 08:54 PM
Lowcountry Joe
Elite HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by rkoivisto
If you go to the dealer with your symptoms and let them decide the compensator needs to be replaced, I bet you have better luck. I think there's a certain hostility most dealers have with internet information. But let it be their idea and you both will be happy.
No truer words have ever been spoken. It has to be their idea, not yours. You have to be smart enough to make the case. And the dealer was right about one thing....don't believe everything you read on this or any other forum! There's a lot of worry warts on forums.

Old 08-30-2011, 09:01 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by bentryder
...loud banging on start up...
That's standard equipment and I think they all do this, those failing or not.

Old 08-31-2011, 01:01 AM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 131 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by hoethree
My stock compensator is doing just fine 42 months after buying the bike, I think your dealer may be telling you the truth.

Quick Reply: SE Comp