Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

more on shocks

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2011, 12:41 AM
Chunker
Road Warrior
Received 65 Likes on 46 Posts
Default more on shocks

I did some forum searching about shocks on the touring bikes, including a rather contentious one regarding Ohlins and it's representative. Based on Ohlins statement that if you are not looking for a performance shock and I am not a racer, I am looking at Progressives. There is a whole host of models that will fit the 2011 EG limited from 412, 440, 812, 940 and some I can't remember. I also looked in the Dennis Kirk site and they show some Drag Specialties shocks made by Progressive that sell for $200. Didn't research which Progressive model they resemble.

I don't carve canyons, race at Talledaga, haul 2 tons. I just want a rear shock that doesn't jolt me or the GF when I hit a minimal pot hole or bump. I have tried various air setting in the stock air shocks, I have the lowered version, and bumps are unpleasant. Need to stay with the lowered height since the front is lowered too. For what it's worth, the front handling is fine.

Suggestions to end my bone rattling ride without breaking the bank again??

Old 09-03-2011, 06:03 AM
tj316
Stellar HDF Member
Received 476 Likes on 124 Posts

I've run Ricor , Progressive 940's & Ohlins , didn't care for the Ricors , the Progressive 940's people seem to hate if they are under 200lbs , I'm 235lbs , for me they rode good solo , 2up & 2up loaded and I was happy with them , Ohlins takes it to the next level , they ride great solo , 2up & 2up loaded , you can find the 940's for about $500 , Ohlins 2-2A are about $540 and are 12" with a 84mm stroke , I'd buy the Ohlins 2-2A and be done with it

Old 09-03-2011, 06:08 AM
131tman
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

11.5" HD 412's

Last edited by 131tman; 09-12-2011 at 01:45 PM.
Old 09-03-2011, 07:16 AM
El Agouti
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just put a set of Ohlin's on my RK (#2-2a). This is my first set of performance shocks, but what a difference compared to stock. The ***-end is more stable in corners and I do not feel the road imperfections (in the rear) like I used to. And I still have not got them dialed in yet. Now I need to do something with the front.

Old 09-03-2011, 08:28 AM
GPHDXLC
Grand HDF Member
Received 345 Likes on 238 Posts

I have been looking in to new shocks all summer, spent a lot of time reading up on different shocks on here. A problem I have that most people don't talk about is I'm 5' 9" with a short inseam.
I cant have a shock that stretches over 12" because the bike will raise up when I'm standing up making it very hard for me to foot park it and back it up and so on.
From what I have seen most all the good shocks they call 12" will stretch out longer when you stand up, I don' want a shock that will go over 12" at any point.
Looks like with a 12" short travel shock, it's hard to find a smoother ride. I have had the air pressure at all kinds of settings and I cant make my stock 13" shocks ride smooth over sharp small bumps, on large bumps it seems to ride pretty decent, other then this I love my Road King.
I just put the 1" lowering blocks backs on so at this point I will live with the stiff ride for now.
From what I see, all shocks are built for 2 up and solo riding so with me riding solo only, and under 190 lbs, all the real 12" shocks come out feeling stiff.
I think Ohilns may be one of the better shocks but they are one of the 12" shocks that go over 12" when not setting on the bike. If your taller then me then you will have a lot more options to pic from...good luck.

Last edited by GPHDXLC; 09-03-2011 at 08:35 AM.
Old 09-03-2011, 08:57 AM
ocezam
Road Master
Received 96 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by GPHDXLC
I have been looking in to new shocks all summer, spent a lot of time reading up on different shocks on here. A problem I have that most people don't talk about is I'm 5' 9" with a short inseam.
I cant have a shock that stretches over 12" because the bike will raise up when I'm standing up making it very hard for me to foot park it and back it up and so on.
From what I have seen most all the good shocks they call 12" will stretch out longer when you stand up, I don' want a shock that will go over 12" at any point.
Looks like with a 12" short travel shock, it's hard to find a smoother ride. I have had the air pressure at all kinds of settings and I cant make my stock 13" shocks ride smooth over sharp small bumps, on large bumps it seems to ride pretty decent, other then this I love my Road King.
I just put the 1" lowering blocks backs on so at this point I will live with the stiff ride for now.
From what I see, all shocks are built for 2 up and solo riding so with me riding solo only, and under 190 lbs, all the real 12" shocks come out feeling stiff.
I think Ohilns may be one of the better shocks but they are one of the 12" shocks that go over 12" when not setting on the bike. If your taller then me then you will have a lot more options to pic from...good luck.
Go back and investigate the progressive 940. From what I've read in the J&P Catalog it says this 13" shock was designed to give the lowered ride of a 12" shock and the stance of a 12" shock while the bike is on it's sidestand.

This leads me to believe the sag is preset for the weight of the bike and will maintain 12" stance with you standing over it. Apparently the only time the shocks extend to the full 13" is when riding and the suspension is unweighted by riding over low areas.

I'd check with Progressive to be sure.

Old 09-03-2011, 09:23 AM
Chunker
Road Warrior
Received 65 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by 131tman
11.5" HD 412's
Is that HD or Progressive 412's. Haven't seen the 412 designation on HD shocks.

Second question, how are shocks measured. Loaded. unloaded, if there is a preload adjuster, does that change the unsprung length. My stock on the FLHTK were 13", just measured them in the box and the lowered, HD version, are 12" on the bike and sitting on the side stand. I wonder if measurements are like the handle bars, everybody has their own method, hope not.

Old 09-03-2011, 09:31 AM
131tman
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Chunker
Is that HD or Progressive 412's?
412HD = Heavy Duty

Last edited by 131tman; 09-03-2011 at 10:12 AM.
Old 09-03-2011, 09:45 AM
RHillbilly
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I am thinking of trying a 13" shocck on my SG to stop the bottoming out I think the 13" shock and 1" lowering kit it will still sit at stock height with a inch more travel

Old 09-03-2011, 09:51 AM
AlanStansbery
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

I have Progressive 940's. I'm 215#. They ride good, don't jar you, and don't bottom out. I also had Progressive 440's on a prior bike. I can recommend them, too. For two-up with the 440's, I'd recommend the heavy-duty spring.

Alan

Quick Reply: more on shocks