Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Windshield torque

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2011, 10:47 PM
Texas Fat Boy
Extreme HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

It would be nice to know which windshields you are cracking.
I'm on my 4th Bat Wing Fairing, with about 15 different windshields, changed out about (at least) 60 times and never torqued one or cracked one.

Old 09-05-2011, 08:10 AM
Garemlin
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Tighten til tight but not over tight. Snug 'em don't crack 'em. I have never cracked a windshield myself. In fact I have a Fast Aire 8" shield that I have had since 2006. It has been off and on more times than I can count and has never cracked.

Old 09-05-2011, 08:14 AM
streetg7
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

can try the blue locktite....take your torx wrench along. After a short ride...recheck

Old 09-05-2011, 08:20 AM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,220 Likes on 1,622 Posts

I'd have to ask if there are other factors involved w/these frequent shield cracks..?? Are your fairing mounts OK, do you frequently run over RR tracks/speed bumps, or are thre any other vibrations while riding? The shields shouldn't be cracking so something doesn't seem right...

Old 09-05-2011, 08:34 AM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 64 Posts

I using a Memphis Shades shield which are thicker than the others.
I just tighten the screws by hand.

Old 09-05-2011, 09:27 AM
Rickr01
Club Member
Received 76 Likes on 68 Posts

I already stated that there were 2 Stock Harley and one wind splitter. My son accidentally knocked my windshield trim on to the concrete floor and damaged it so I picked up another. Interestingly the instructions for the new trim say tighten 8-15 inch pounds. I still have the instructions for the other trim and it said 20-30. I had been tightening the shields to the 20-30 inch pound spec, which seemed a little tight to me for plastic. Maybe this will work? I tightened to snug about 10 inch pounds using feel and no wrench this time.

Originally Posted by Texas Fat Boy
It would be nice to know which windshields you are cracking.
I'm on my 4th Bat Wing Fairing, with about 15 different windshields, changed out about (at least) 60 times and never torqued one or cracked one.

Old 09-05-2011, 10:30 AM
dirtracin23
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mike horvath
And when yer a retard like me, and tighten them according to ''feeeeyul", you'll strip the metal ferul thing right outta the plastic mold. Thank goodness for JB Weld. I 've had to repair two of them this way, which seems to be a pretty good fix.
Sir, your "feeler" is out of adjustment.

I just snug all 7 up by hand, maybe just a bit past snug. Ain't had a shield crack yet and my fairing hasn't fallen off.

Old 09-05-2011, 11:18 AM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 63 Likes on 49 Posts

Here's a simple trick that I used to keep those screws from coming use. I installed a chrome trim strip. Insert the screw through the strip, and then put a faucet rubber washer under the strip as you attach it to the fairing. The slight compression of the faucet rubber will keep the screw tight without over torquing it, and if the screw does come loose, it won't fall out as the rubber will hold it in place.

Old 09-05-2011, 11:45 AM
Rickr01
Club Member

Harley has the same idea. The windshield strips now come with the rubber washers of which you speak.

Originally Posted by MNPGRider
Here's a simple trick that I used to keep those screws from coming use. I installed a chrome trim strip. Insert the screw through the strip, and then put a faucet rubber washer under the strip as you attach it to the fairing. The slight compression of the faucet rubber will keep the screw tight without over torquing it, and if the screw does come loose, it won't fall out as the rubber will hold it in place.

Old 09-05-2011, 02:51 PM
Rickr01
Club Member

Does anybody who has ever pulled the outer fairing off completely know for sure whether the rubber strips that run up both outside edges between the inner and outer fairing halves, is glued or is it just held in place by the two halves?

Quick Reply: Windshield torque