Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LeNale fan install

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2011, 08:04 PM
myred55
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default LeNale fan install

I received my new LeNale fan in the mail today. I would like to pick up power from a spare in the fuse box but have no idea how to access it to tie into it. I have already used the accessory switch for my Road Zepplin seat and don't realy want to go directly to the battery with an inline fuse if I can help it.

The fan is thermostat controlled but I will be installing a switch so I have the option to turn it on when I want to. Anyone know how to access the fuse box to tie in the fan wires?

2009 Ultra Classic

Thanks!!

Old 09-15-2011, 08:50 PM
cdestuck
Supporter

Received 211 Likes on 101 Posts

Are you sure the fan is thermostat controlled. And if it is, even with a external switch, you wont be able to turn it on unless you bypass the thermostat. BTW....really like mine.

Old 09-15-2011, 10:55 PM
cmc seabee
Cruiser

Received 71 Likes on 26 Posts

This is what I used when I installed the Lenale fan on my 2010 Street Glide. It works really slick.

Switched Circuit Adapter Harness

This harness allows two accessories to be connected to the switched accessory circuit featured on '94-later Touring models. You then may switch two accessories on or off simultaneously as required.

Fits '94-later Touring models.

70264-94A

Our Price US $17.95

Old 09-15-2011, 11:42 PM
myred55
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cdestuck
Are you sure the fan is thermostat controlled. And if it is, even with a external switch, you wont be able to turn it on unless you bypass the thermostat. BTW....really like mine.

Nope, no thermostat. I assumed it had one.

Old 09-16-2011, 10:46 AM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

Check out the Ultra Cool oil cooler with built in fan. It is a one piece unit that takes care of it all.
http://www.ultracoolfl.com/
Drew

Old 09-16-2011, 12:56 PM
pappy42
Cruiser

Received 88 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by DR. V-TWIN
Check out the Ultra Cool oil cooler with built in fan. It is a one piece unit that takes care of it all.
http://www.ultracoolfl.com/
Drew
Gee, I feel like I'm entering the lion's den by challengeing a member with as many posts as Dr. V-Twin; but here goes.

My impression of the ultra cool is that it is a thermostatically controlled, fan cooled oil cooler. Doesn't the LeNale just blow air between the cylinders and remove the heat from that area?

Is it just different methods of arriving at engine cooling?

Old 09-16-2011, 01:15 PM
djkolp
Road Captain
Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by pappy42
Gee, I feel like I'm entering the lion's den by challengeing a member with as many posts as Dr. V-Twin; but here goes.

My impression of the ultra cool is that it is a thermostatically controlled, fan cooled oil cooler. Doesn't the LeNale just blow air between the cylinders and remove the heat from that area?

Is it just different methods of arriving at engine cooling?
One of the forum members here posted some extensive data on the effects of cooling the cylinders with a parade fan vs an oil cooler/fan combo. Reduction in oil temperature was much greater with the parade fan as opposed to just using an oil cooler/fan combo. I have the LeNale fan and the Harley oil cooler, and I am very happy with it's ability to keep oil temps at 200 when cruising and 230 in traffic. I'm sure the Ultra Cooler is a fine addition, but the data showed that you'll get more bang for your buck with the LeNale fan keeping the cylinders cool in traffic, and having an oil cooler do the rest while cruising. The Lenale fan blows air across the cylinders and is very effective.

DJK

Last edited by djkolp; 09-16-2011 at 01:20 PM.
Old 09-16-2011, 04:28 PM
05 Ultra
Road Master
Received 63 Likes on 45 Posts

I use the Switched Circuit Adapter Harness for my install also. I'd rather beable to turn on the fan before the motor starts to heat up. Easier to keep it cool then to try to cool if after its already getting hot.

Old 09-16-2011, 07:44 PM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by 05 Ultra
I use the Switched Circuit Adapter Harness for my install also. I'd rather beable to turn on the fan before the motor starts to heat up. Easier to keep it cool then to try to cool if after its already getting hot.

I understand that concept, and agree with you. But that web site makes sense when it says it allows the engine to get to a certain temp first to eliminate condensation/water before it starts the cooling process.

Old 09-16-2011, 09:07 PM
steelerdude1
Grand HDF Member
Received 283 Likes on 215 Posts

not sure if its the same on an 09, but my 06 has an accessory plug behind the left side cover, by the ECM, and 1 under the seat (which you are using for your Zep)

Quick Reply: LeNale fan install