Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

motorcycle ramp

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2011, 12:15 PM
harley11
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default motorcycle ramp

Looking for a good ramp to load my dresser in to truck.I saw the black widow 10ft. ramp for about $450. Does anyone know of a ramp same quality but a little cheaper?

Old 11-06-2011, 01:08 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 395 Likes on 337 Posts

I use a 3 section atv ramp from sams club, $69 rated for about 1200 pounds. I think it about 7.5' long

works fine, it has "rungs" so I cover it with a 1/2 sheet of ply to make smoother for the tires, maybe spreads out the weight a bit.

has flimsy chains to secure to truck, so it doesn't slide back and off the tailgate.

being for atvs it's plenty wide so can walk up beside the bike

mike

Old 11-06-2011, 01:34 PM
speedwaysteve
Road Captain

I have the black widow,worth every penny..well made.try discountramps.com

Old 11-06-2011, 01:48 PM
rlaf75
Tourer

Whichever ramp you choose just make sure you tie the front of it to the truck or trailer so it doesnt kick out on you when your rear tire hooks ups. Im sure we've all seen it happen and its usually not a good outcome. Cant help with a brand of ramp but thought id remind you cuz it happens all the time.

Old 11-06-2011, 03:11 PM
jeff.georgalas
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I got the 10' Black widow from discountramps.com myself and it's worth every penny. As far as I'm concerned I didn't cheap out on my bike and I'm not going to cheap out on my ramp either. I've only used it once or twice for my bike in five years, but I've used it to put my garden tractor in my truck and many other things. It comes in handy, and even if I don't use it very often I'm glad it's there when I need it instead of trying to "rig" some other bullshit way of getting something into the back of my truck.

Old 11-07-2011, 05:32 AM
Cazimere
Road Captain

I made my own out of an old heavy duty 36' aluminum ladder. Made 2 sections, 12' long and covered in 1/2" plywood. I set them side by side with a brace under the middle for extra strength, and walk up one while i throttle the bike up the other. Got the ladder off C-list for 50$.

Old 11-07-2011, 09:53 PM
NorCalFBLO
Road Master
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

I use the Big Boy ll from Discountramps.com. I like this ramp because it's two pieces and each piece folds in half and then both pieces fit in the back seat of my extended cab Ford F250. When I go on trips the ramps are secure and not sitting in the bed of my truck.
http://www.discountramps.com/big-boy...cycle-ramp.htm

Old 11-07-2011, 10:02 PM
Lowcountry Joe
Elite HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 45 Posts

Lots of screw-ups loading touring bikes into the beds of pickups. Check out YouTube for some encouraging videos of loading into pickups.

I recommend you spend your money on a trailer with a drop down ramp on the rear. Much safer getting in and out. More tie-down anchor options as well. But each to his own.

Old 11-07-2011, 10:51 PM
jackstrr
Road Warrior
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I use a black widow from discount ramps. Its 8' long. Works great for me. Wife and I travel 6-7 months a year. Will load bike about 10 to 15 times into a F250. 33" high at the tailgate and I clear undercarriage of bike 95% of the time, unless I'm a little fast ( 5 1/2" ) clearance under my wide glide. 10' would be a better for a lower bike. I did a lot of checking and compairing DON'T GO CHEAP. You will discover your mistake about the 3rd time up.

Old 11-07-2011, 11:33 PM
rlaf75
Tourer

Originally Posted by Lowcountry Joe
Lots of screw-ups loading touring bikes into the beds of pickups. Check out YouTube for some encouraging videos of loading into pickups.

I recommend you spend your money on a trailer with a drop down ramp on the rear. Much safer getting in and out. More tie-down anchor options as well. But each to his own.
dont know your needs regarding loading into a truck but a small utility trailer can be bought new for about the same as those $500 ramps. You can even customize the trailer with some sort of wall system to keep it clean while transporting the bike. You can also use it for other various jobs as well.

Quick Reply: motorcycle ramp