Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question on the crossover pipe gasket

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2011, 02:08 PM
shore
Stellar HDF Member
Received 96 Likes on 70 Posts
Default Question on the crossover pipe gasket

blah blah, I read it's hard to get it in there correctly and I can see why...so that leads to my question.

Why in the world is it needed in the 1st place?

Why didn't they just make that a slip fit like THE TWO DAMN other ones a few inches away?

Why would they over complicate this?

Old 12-14-2011, 02:16 PM
fuelmoto
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,118 Likes on 1,341 Posts

Originally Posted by shore
blah blah, I read it's hard to get it in there correctly and I can see why...so that leads to my question.

Why in the world is it needed in the 1st place?

Why didn't they just make that a slip fit like THE TWO DAMN other ones a few inches away?

Why would they over complicate this?
Because is allows the crossover to move slightly when the motor moves in the motor mounts. This is very apparent when we have a bike on the dyno and watch the right side of the exhaust move with the motor. Also note the crossover is very easy to install if it done properly, what most people do is try to slide the pipe straight on which does not work and damages the gasket because the crossover is angled. All you need to do is rotate the crossover at a 45 degree angle with the outlet toward the ground, align the inlet to the head pipe and it will rotate right into place like magic

Jamie Long / Fuel Moto USA
The USA's Leader V-Twin EFI & Performance www.fuelmotousa.com
Contact 920-423-3309
Email jamie@fuelmotousa.com

Old 12-14-2011, 02:22 PM
shore
Stellar HDF Member
Received 96 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by fuelmoto
Because is allows the crossover to move slightly when the motor moves in the motor mounts. This is very apparent when we have a bike on the dyno and watch the right side of the exhaust move with the motor. Also note the crossover is very easy to install if it done properly, what most people do is try to slide the pipe straight on which does not work and damages the gasket because the crossover is angled. All you need to do is rotate the crossover at a 45 degree angle with the outlet toward the ground, align the inlet to the head pipe and it will rotate right into place like magic

That's all well and good but this gasket was not on previous years and those years exhaust attached the same way, just not under the swingarm.