Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heated gear wireless controller mount ideas

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2011, 02:17 PM
SharkBite
Road Captain
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Heated gear wireless controller mount ideas

So I finally got around to ordering the Gerbing heated gear. Through the website as a Police Officer I qualified for a discount but still not cheap. I went from neck to toe with jacket liner, gloves, outer pants, socks with a dual controller....

As if I hadn't spent enough money I found all the wires hanging to be a pain....I then saw that warmnsafe made a wireless controller which would allow most of the wires to simply be left in a pocket. I ordered and now have it also.

My only question is for anybody that have this, any suggestions on where to mount the controller. Obviously just slapping on the velcro is a cheap and easy solution. Just wondering if anybody has a nicer, more permanent looking suggestion.

Old 12-25-2011, 03:45 PM
Captain Itch
Sponsor
Received 605 Likes on 327 Posts

We are in the process of making some nice panels that will go on your tank with magnets...I wanted to make the best quality product possible so we are currently waiting for our shipment of Neodymium Disc magnets..I will say they are good to at least 100 mph as I don't want anything to move..I will let you all know when they are available..

Old 12-25-2011, 03:49 PM
2BikeMike
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dang, I have the Gerbings liner jacket and the G3 gloves and love them. I also have the dual temperature contoller that clips to your belt or pants. I found that it's a pain to get to when your all bundled up and on the road, so I just purchased and installed the permanent dual controller with the controls tha mount to my fairing. Now I have one thin wire that plugs into my liner. Haven't been out to try it yet.

Didn't know there was a wireless contoller out there. There is a portion of the permenaent mount that has to be stored somewhere on the bike. I ended up using industrial strengh velco and attaching it inside the right side cover under the battery tray.

Old 12-25-2011, 03:56 PM
jahays32
Tourer

someone needs a make a bar mount for it.

I have the gerbing dual controller and I wear it on the outside down at the bottom of my jacket on the adjustable belt loop thing on my jacket.

Old 12-25-2011, 04:15 PM
Krow
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the Gerbing/HD dual controller. I haven't decided yet whether to keep it clipped to the side adjustment strap of my jacket, clipped to my chaps, or mount it to the dash in front of my seat with velcro or a leather tab like Capt Itch has previously posted. I saw the advert for the wireless controller but didn't see the benefit of it - you're still tethered to the bike via your power supply, there's no way around that with a 12V system. Is the only advantage of the wireless unit the easy access to the controls?

Last edited by Krow; 12-25-2011 at 07:45 PM.
Old 12-25-2011, 04:23 PM
b1rider
Tourer

I clip my controller to a pocket on my chaps. I have easy access to the controller but the wires and all is still a pain. However, I will put up with all of this to be warm on a cold day. Sure extends the riding season for me. I ended up drilling a hole in the heat defector and panel mounting the connector. Only problem, the first location was too high and my leg was hitting it during the ride, good when stopped. So I put another hole in the shield down lower, works great while riding but is sort of in the way when stopped. I used a button plug over the first hole after seeing how expensive it was to just replace the shields...wow $75.00. Someday I will replace them so it will look neater but it will have to do for now.

Old 12-25-2011, 06:43 PM
speedwaysteve
Road Captain

Id really be interested in a magnet pouch for the dual controler from capt itch.

Old 12-25-2011, 07:33 PM
dougbk
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by SharkBite
So I finally got around to ordering the Gerbing heated gear. Through the website as a Police Officer I qualified for a discount but still not cheap. I went from neck to toe with jacket liner, gloves, outer pants, socks with a dual controller....

As if I hadn't spent enough money I found all the wires hanging to be a pain....I then saw that warmnsafe made a wireless controller which would allow most of the wires to simply be left in a pocket. I ordered and now have it also.

My only question is for anybody that have this, any suggestions on where to mount the controller. Obviously just slapping on the velcro is a cheap and easy solution. Just wondering if anybody has a nicer, more permanent looking suggestion.
I have no experience with the wireless controller; however, to help tame the wires I doubled them up and zip tied them together. I then clip the controller to the flap of my horizontal mag pouch and tuck the wires behind it from the bottom.

Old 12-25-2011, 07:34 PM
Mr Cujo
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't ride a sharknose so this may be a useless idea... but how 'bout mounting it in one of the dash pockets? Its out of the way and leaves a clean look, but easy to get to when underway...

Old 12-26-2011, 07:06 AM
HDV-GLIDE
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

I have a wireless controller that I attached with a small piece of velcro. It's stuck on the black insert close to the seat on the tank console(SG). The controller also has a string attached from the maker which I have wrapped around the seat mounting tang in case the velcro connection comes loose, which it hasn't in several 100 miles. In the spring, easy removal.

This is the controller I'm using...

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/p...ure-controller

Last edited by HDV-GLIDE; 12-26-2011 at 07:13 AM.

Quick Reply: Heated gear wireless controller mount ideas