Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Help with Heated Jacket connection!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2011, 01:01 AM
Mixter
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Need Help with Heated Jacket connection!!!

I got an HD heated jacket for xmas. I want to hook it up to the acc switch on my 2010 street glide. The fused cable for the jacket has pigtails on it and a single plug that plugs into the jacket....the plug that is attached to the acc switch on the bike is the standard one that is on the bike from the factory (same type of plug for a battery tender etc...) and it terminates in a square ended type of plug that plugs into a female version on the bike. Hope this makes sense...I attached a couple of pics of the square plug.
So how do I connect the jacket to the acc switch? as the cable for the jacket has pigtails and not a square box at the end?
Hope this makes sense...

Attached Thumbnails Need Help with Heated Jacket connection!!!-img_0983.jpg   Need Help with Heated Jacket connection!!!-img_0981.jpg  
Old 12-26-2011, 01:04 AM
Casper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 286 Likes on 190 Posts

Somewhere you going to need a controller, be it Gerbings of HD. It's like a thermostat..allows you to control the heat. Otherwise it'll be on of off, no control of how warm the jacket gets...

http://gerbing.com/Products/tempControls.php

Last edited by Casper; 12-26-2011 at 01:06 AM.
Old 12-26-2011, 01:18 AM
Mixter
Road Warrior

The jacket has a thermostat with three settings on it and an on/off in the left hand pocket. The plug that is attached to the acc has sae ends on it....the jacket needs coax.

Old 12-26-2011, 01:24 AM
Casper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 286 Likes on 190 Posts
Old 12-26-2011, 01:40 AM
HDD
Club Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also wanted my hd heated vest to be controlled by the accessory switch on my ultra LTD. I noticed like you that my accessory switch ended at what Harley calls a "duetsch" connector (what u have pictures of).
I did not want to splice wires into my factory duetsch (cut/solder). I purchased a duetsch splitter from HD. This splitter plugs directly into the factory connector and has two duetsch connectors on the other end. Then I located hot and ground on one of the plugs on the splitter, and cut/soldered my fused vest connection in. Works great. All you need is a electrical tester. If you need more details let me know. Merry Christmas.

Old 12-26-2011, 02:05 AM
Mixter
Road Warrior

I'd like to avoid any cutting and splicing as I gave no idea what I am doing...can I use the power let Sae ti coax adapter? I just change the fuse?

Old 12-26-2011, 02:19 AM
HDD
Club Member

I think the adapter will work fine unless you want to control this via the acc switch. As far as I know, the only way to wire to accessory switch is to do a little soldering and shrink tubing. The splitter was great because I could do all of the work on my work bench and then plug it in without messing with my bike factory wiring.

Old 12-26-2011, 02:28 AM
Mixter
Road Warrior

Thanks for the message...I'll definitely give you a shout. Doesn't anyone make a deutsch plug that terminates in a coax rather than pigtails?

Old 12-26-2011, 02:41 AM
HDD
Club Member

I thought there would be a simple adapter for acc switch. Couldn't find one.

Old 12-26-2011, 01:09 PM
Mixter
Road Warrior

I like the Sae to coax adapter...just gave to check if the acc cable is fused

Quick Reply: Need Help with Heated Jacket connection!!!