Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gaterman Lifters

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2013, 12:24 PM
wurk_truk
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

07roadhawg is 100% correct. The lifters are not what determines if one can re use pushrods... it is the cam profiles. What cam set are you thinking of using and someone can look up if the base circle is stock.

I have used numerous sets of Woods lifters. On my own bikes, it always seems to end up with one lifter that does not pump up correctly.

Lately, in customer bikes... I have been using the Gatermans with great success. No more Woods lifters for me.

Old 10-11-2013, 09:33 PM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,406 Likes on 4,014 Posts

Is there somewhere online you can buy Gatermans....?

Old 10-11-2013, 09:55 PM
DanDman
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

This guy selling some. He's running a ad in parts for sale. I don't how to post a link to the ad.
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/membe...pendent_1.html

Old 10-11-2013, 10:51 PM
BJB
Tourer
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by DanDman
This guy selling some. He's running a ad in parts for sale. I don't how to post a link to the ad.

I exchanged an email with him & he has them for sale. Gaterman only sells through dealers now according to his sales rep. I found his info on their web site & he was very informative. gave me the name of a well respected local speed / machine shop that does NOT advertise because they (2 man shop) are busy enough & operate with no sign in a rural neighborhood. I'll just buy there & pay the state sales tax.

Old 10-12-2013, 02:19 AM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,406 Likes on 4,014 Posts

Originally Posted by DanDman
Thanks.......

Old 10-12-2013, 03:37 AM
jammerx
Stellar HDF Member
Received 327 Likes on 221 Posts

Gaterman lifters are manufactured in China...

Old 10-12-2013, 04:17 AM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,547 Likes on 3,057 Posts

Have you noticed the similarities between lifter threads and oil threads? I look at both with a skeptical eye unless someone can show me specifically what makes their lifter ( or oil,) emperically superior to the competition.

Gaterman, Woods, Black Ops, Comp Cams 850-1 ( Chevy Lifter (actually a Corvette lifter,)) etc as though one is actually superior to another. How so? Different internal bore? Greater reach? Superior valving? Faster "pump up"? Slower bleed down?

I ran Black Ops for 50,000 miles ( my chosen swap out schedule,) and then ran Comp Cams 850-1 Corvette Lifters. The difference? About $140. Comp Cams work just as well as Black Ops in my bike at $11 a piece. ( 95" Stage II, Andrews 26 cam with Andrews/S&S gear drives.)

My point is that just like oil threads, we're hoping to find a product that cures an ill ( like rattling,) that actually has little to do with our choice of lifters.....but we just keep on trying anyway!

Last edited by Stiggy; 10-12-2013 at 04:21 AM.
Old 10-12-2013, 07:49 AM
nhrider1
Road Warrior
Received 53 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Hog Yild
So guys,
I see Gaterman Lifters pops up on a number of threads when doing a search, but I didn't see much on reviews of them. The look like a good product but some feedback would be good to hear.
If you've used them or are using them, what is your impression? Description of build would be good too including type of cam and head work (valve springs or seat force).
I'm using Gaterman 1023's in my 2010 96" with Andrews 48 Cams and stock heads. They are a very good, high quality, reasonably priced lifter, specially designed for HD engines. They are manufactured in China to US design and quality standards (just like ipads and iphones). They are very popular on another forum that deals more with the technical and performance issues. I see a few members here as well.

I can send a link via private message if anyone needs a source or some technical background. I'm reluctant to post it here as I'm not sure if the forum rules will allow it.

Old 10-12-2013, 08:32 AM
jus2anoyu
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Gatermans and woods both are made specifically for Harley engines. I tried the cheap stuff to no avail. I refuse to buy anything that has 'woods' on it to make something quieter. Everything woods sells seems to be inherently noisy. As someone else mentioned, there is another 'Internet destination' that can explain lifter operation as a science, and the Gatermans are at the top of their list for quality lifters.

All I can say is that after 2 sets of lifters in 8k miles, the Gatermans worked well for me.

Old 10-12-2013, 08:55 AM
SavageChopper
Tourer
Received 63 Likes on 38 Posts

I have over 6000 miles on my Gatermans and couldn't be happier. They are quiet on startup and during the hottest days. My only complaint is that they take 30 minutes to bleed down during a pushrod adjustment. Oh, that's not a bad thing. Nevermind.

Quick Reply: Gaterman Lifters