Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heritage Bars or Reduced Reach Bars

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2012, 09:13 AM
KCFLHRC
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,300 Likes on 780 Posts
Default Heritage Bars or Reduced Reach Bars

Trying to decide on either the Heritage style bars or the Reduced Reach bars from HD for my 11 RKC. Looks like the Heritage bars give you 3" of pull back and the Reduced reach give you 2". Not sure if the hand position is the same or not. What do you guys think? I'm not a short guy and I have fairly long arms but the stock bars just suck and I get shoulder pain on long rides.

Old 01-23-2012, 10:54 AM
Pumba11
Elite HDF Member
Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

I have the Reduced Reach bars for my RK and love them. Just my $0.02. I am 6' tall with average arm length.

Attached Thumbnails Heritage Bars or Reduced Reach Bars-dan-s-road-king-rear-compressed.jpg  

Last edited by Pumba11; 01-23-2012 at 10:59 AM.
Old 01-23-2012, 10:58 AM
bob5800
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had the reduced reach bars on my rk for 5 years. I like them, they put me in a comfortable position and reduced the strain on my back. I'm 6'1" and they seem to fit just right for the long haul.

Old 01-23-2012, 11:02 AM
KCFLHRC
Ultimate HDF Member

I'm 6' too, sounds like the Reduced Reach Bars will work for me. I don't have ape arms and I think the extra 2" would be just about right. I don't want them too close to me and I definitely don't want Ape's. Will the stock cables work OK? Thanks guys

Old 01-23-2012, 11:06 AM
dboyenga
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just did this on my 06. Had both the Heritage and reduced reach bars on the bench. Side by side the hand position ends up so close that there's not enough difference to matter. The specs/dimensions are quite different when you compare them but those differences have to do with base width etc. I went with the reduced reach bars for the internal wiring. Did chrome switch housings at the same time and it all went well. Haven't posted picks yet as I have the exhaust off and am waiting until I'm completely done.
Hope this helps.

Old 01-23-2012, 11:22 AM
dboyenga
Cruiser

Originally Posted by KCFLHRC
I'm 6' too, sounds like the Reduced Reach Bars will work for me. I don't have ape arms and I think the extra 2" would be just about right. I don't want them too close to me and I definitely don't want Ape's. Will the stock cables work OK? Thanks guys
The book recommends a wire extension for internal wiring on the reduced reach. I got the wire extension but think I could have gotten by without. There seems to be quite a bit of extra length on the harnesses inside the headlight nacelle.

Old 01-23-2012, 11:27 AM
KCFLHRC
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by dboyenga
The book recommends a wire extension for internal wiring on the reduced reach. I got the wire extension but think I could have gotten by without. There seems to be quite a bit of extra length on the harnesses inside the headlight nacelle.
Thanks for the info. Post some pics when you can.

Old 01-23-2012, 11:28 AM
chevele72
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

+6 on the reduced reach! Also as said, internal wiring and their nice chrome too.

Old 01-23-2012, 11:42 AM
one-up
Road Warrior
Received 27 Likes on 10 Posts

I put the Heritage "Style" bars (Part# 56902-08) on my 2010 Road King FLHR. They're the best in my opinion. $80 + labor (if you're not changing them yourself). If you're looking for internal wiring, then I don't know if these are the right bar.

Attached are a couple of pictures to possibly help you see what they look like on a Road King (man, that's a good lookin' bike - why did I sell it??:+)

Attached Thumbnails Heritage Bars or Reduced Reach Bars-sam_0110.jpg   Heritage Bars or Reduced Reach Bars-sam_0107.jpg  
Old 01-23-2012, 12:01 PM
Idaho Spud
Road Master

I looked at both and chose the Heritage. It is the #1 selling replacement and used on all police bikes so that was a good recommendation for me. If I recall, you don't need new cables on the Heritage and you do on the Reduced Reach so that was another factor. I find them very comfortable. I am 5'8" with a 32" cuff length.

Quick Reply: Heritage Bars or Reduced Reach Bars