Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Inspection Stickers in Virginia

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2012, 06:44 PM
kdodd
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Inspection Stickers in Virginia

This mite be kinda weird question, so bear with me, Does the inspection sticker have to be mounted on your bike and visible in Virginia, or can you just have it, and show it, if by chance you get pulled over. I ask because I installed my lower Fairings today, and had to remove the inspection sticker plate, it was rubbing against the fairing on left side, cannot really find another good place to mount it.

Old 02-01-2012, 06:54 PM
Hog Yild
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by kdodd
This mite be kinda weird question, so bear with me, Does the inspection sticker have to be mounted on your bike and visible in Virginia, or can you just have it, and show it, if by chance you get pulled over. I ask because I installed my lower Fairings today, and had to remove the inspection sticker plate, it was rubbing against the fairing on left side, cannot really find another good place to mount it.
Mine is mounted on a plate that is attached to one of the bolts for the pivot of the rear swing arm on the left side. It's visible, but you got to look for it. I also have a sport bike and it's mounted on one of the front forks in the fairing and isn't visible, both were put where they are by a dealer. It may not need to to visible, but I bet it has to be attached to the bike.

http://lmgt4u.com/?q=Are+motorcycle+...le+in+Virginia

Last edited by Hog Yild; 02-01-2012 at 06:58 PM.
Old 02-01-2012, 06:54 PM
TKDKurt
Elite HDF Member
Received 126 Likes on 88 Posts

The law requires that it be displayed. According to the Virginia Motorcycle Law Group's website (a great resource for Va law relating to motorcycles-- http://www.motorcyclevirginia.com/statutes.aspx ) Virginia Code section 46.2-1163 provides "If the vehicle is a motorcycle, the approval sticker may be placed on a plate securely fastened to the motorcycle for the purpose of displaying the sticker or in any other location designated by the Superintendent." According to that website the Superintendent has designated the left side of the motorcycle.

On my Sportster it was down at left side of the bottom of the frame, oriented sideways and facing forward and usually was covered with road grime (and therefore illegible). (See photo). I commented to one of the service guys at my dealer and he said that Law Enforcement Officers don't even know where to look for them on bikes because they can be anywhere. The service guy told me that alot of people do exactly what you suggest and just carry it in their saddlebags. If challenged, they pull it out and tell the LEO that is fell off and that they haven't had the opportunity to put it back on.

On my RKC it is to the rear of the derby cover, partially behind the headpipe for the left side muffler and also obscured by the passenger floor board. You can hide it almost anywhere. (See the photo)

Attached Thumbnails Inspection Stickers in Virginia-img_2675-small.jpg   Inspection Stickers in Virginia-sporty-inspection-sticker.jpg  

Last edited by TKDKurt; 02-01-2012 at 07:49 PM.
Old 02-01-2012, 07:06 PM
ybnorml
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 24,373 Likes on 10,031 Posts

Maine will be trying a new idea this year with theirs.....
A much smaller version to be attached to the license plate,
in one of the corners.

Old 02-01-2012, 07:10 PM
kdodd
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ride with guys that have never had a inspection, I may gamble and just carry it on the bike.

Old 02-01-2012, 07:33 PM
Fatboy Brian
Grand HDF Member
Received 464 Likes on 191 Posts

mines up high in front of the engine on the upper engine guard bolt.

Attached Thumbnails Inspection Stickers in Virginia-sg1.jpg  
Old 02-01-2012, 07:48 PM
TKDKurt
Elite HDF Member
Received 126 Likes on 88 Posts

To the OP--I edited my previous post and gave you the Virginia statute and photos of where they were on my bikes to give you some ideas of where you can stick it if you decide to mount it.

Old 02-01-2012, 08:17 PM
hoops928
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Inspection sticker must be attached to the vehicle by the inspector at time of inspection in Va...

Old 02-01-2012, 08:35 PM
Ragtop
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,011 Likes on 576 Posts

I'm not putting no stickers on my bike! Haven't for years!

Old 02-01-2012, 09:04 PM
fj1200
Tourer
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

On my Ultra Limited, mine is in the same area as TDKurt has his on his Road King. When I had a Dyna, I had a plate attached where the highway pegs attached to the frame. I do have my county sticker (proof that I paid the personal property tax) on the left fork leg, since the only time I have every been stopped on a bike is when one of Fairfax County's finest could not see my county sticker

Quick Reply: Inspection Stickers in Virginia