Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Inside Fairing fade......

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2012, 05:01 PM
Joboo1966
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Inside Fairing fade......

I have noticed on my 97 Electra that if you are sitting and looking at the fairing from on the bike .....right above the speaker just underneath the windshield to the extreme right of the fairing about level on the inner fairing with the handlebars....the black on the fairing is starting to fade in spots....I am assuming because its not really painted plastic rather injected molded black plastic and thats where it gets its color..........any way it is faded.......just in spots.....the rest of the fairing looks ok....does anyone kow of anything made by HD or anyone else that you can put on this to kind of restore the black color to the fairing?

Just curious or am I stuck with having to have this painted?

Old 02-05-2012, 05:18 PM
HDV-GLIDE
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

The trick to keeping the inner fairing black and shiny is to use a product like 303 Aerospace Protectant from when it is new. My 09 inner fairing looks better now then when it came from the factory. I reapply the stuff about 6 times a year.

Not sure if you can get the color back at this point with a protectant but it can't hurt.

Old 02-05-2012, 06:05 PM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by HDV-GLIDE
Not sure if you can get the color back at this point with a protectant but it can't hurt.
Nothing worked on my '06 Road Glide.
All the protectants I used just kinda made the fairing shiny.The faded areas were still white.

Old 02-05-2012, 06:18 PM
Punjabi Rider
Grand HDF Member
Received 242 Likes on 192 Posts

Really not bad for a 97 mine 05 EG faded in 6 months replaced it with painted one just have to pay price difference and free labor which is real killer some what 4 hrs at $ 79/hr.But now I'm educated on how to replace it my self both our 07&08 UCs have painted ones.

Old 02-05-2012, 06:32 PM
budwfo
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Paint it yourself, all it takes is a little time, 400 grit wet/dry and a couple cans of Krylon for plastic,,,,my buddy bought his and I did mine,,I do believe mine looks as good if not better.

Old 02-05-2012, 06:38 PM
Joboo1966
Road Master

i was just trying to avoidf the painting.....I can paint but lord I hate it.

Old 02-05-2012, 06:40 PM
Pastor John
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Try Mother's "Back To Black" and see if that helps a bit. I found on mine that it does a good job of evening out the appearance. You'll need to reapply it every time you wash the bike, but it might restore much of the black look of the plastic.

Old 02-05-2012, 06:58 PM
Joboo1966
Road Master

Originally Posted by Pastor John
Try Mother's "Back To Black" and see if that helps a bit. I found on mine that it does a good job of evening out the appearance. You'll need to reapply it every time you wash the bike, but it might restore much of the black look of the plastic.

Thank you sir I will give it a try.....is this a product you can get at autozone?

Old 02-05-2012, 06:59 PM
krazy3
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Pastor John
Same here. When I noticed mine was fading, I started using it and it helped a lot.

Old 02-05-2012, 07:10 PM
Lowcountry Joe
Elite HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 45 Posts

On old faded radio ***** during restoration Vaseline really does a good job. I know it sounds crazy, but try "polishing" your inner faring with a little Vaseline and see how it goes. Of course rub off any residue, but you might be surprised how well it can make dull plastic look.

Quick Reply: Inside Fairing fade......