Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

American Custom (exhaust)

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2012, 08:48 PM
jjnoble
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DannyZ71
I too have their slip-on mufflers. The rest of my bike is stock. When I first got the slip-ons, I was amazed at the rumble and how loud they were with the CAT still in place. But I was having a problem with a lot more decel pop, and at the time, a drop in performance that I didn't realize.

So I ordered their mid-rumble baffles. When I got them, three things were very noticeable. First, the decel pop was gone! Second, the bike ran like a raped ape. I didn't realize that I'd lost any performance, and maybe I didn't. But I sure noticed an increase when I installed the baffles. And the third thing I noticed was how quiet the bike was now. Too quiet. Honda quiet.

So I pulled the baffles out and studied on it a bit. There were two rows of six 3/8" holes around the circumference of the baffles. So I grabbed the drill and added another set of six holes making the baffles with a total of 18 holes instead of the 12 it came with. I gained some noticeable sound, and an even deeper rumble, without a loss in power or creating any new decel pop.

I'm very happy with them now. And they look stock, so I get a lot of questions about them when I pull up somewhere.

On my favorite set of baffles I increased the size of the holes to 1/2" and doubled the number of them.

Old 02-11-2012, 09:50 PM
5point56
Cruiser
Received 8 Likes on 1 Post

I also run them with the mid baffles and without. I added more holes to the mid baffles and I love them.

Old 02-11-2012, 11:52 PM
JohnScrip
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Wrote a bunch about 'em here -- http://www.johnscrip.com/html/blog_f...d_mufflers.php

In short, pretty darn happy. Wanted a set that looked basically 'stock' - even under a certain amount of scrutiny (someone looking at factory stamps if you know what I mean) that was 'tunable' to some extent.

Then I added those incredibly sexy black end caps... Still, factory stamps. :-) And when you drill out the "medium" baffles enough, you get a good amount of air through them but there's still that all-important "stop" when certain types of people try to make sure there's still a baffle in them...

Old 02-12-2012, 10:06 AM
oldhdrider
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JohnScrip
Wrote a bunch about 'em here -- http://www.johnscrip.com/html/blog_f...d_mufflers.php

In short, pretty darn happy. Wanted a set that looked basically 'stock' - even under a certain amount of scrutiny (someone looking at factory stamps if you know what I mean) that was 'tunable' to some extent.

Then I added those incredibly sexy black end caps... Still, factory stamps. :-) And when you drill out the "medium" baffles enough, you get a good amount of air through them but there's still that all-important "stop" when certain types of people try to make sure there's still a baffle in them...

Thanks for the link. Good reading. I like the idea that I can modify the baffles and if I really mess them up they can be replaced easily. And cheaply. ride safe

Old 02-12-2012, 10:33 AM
apxpred
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Happy w/ product & service, I drilled 1/2" holes on the 4 flats at the ends & opened up 1 row of the 3/8 holes on the circum. to 1/2 " as well.

Old 04-15-2012, 04:34 PM
Bighdman
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AC with Rush

thinking about buying some American Custom Headers. I have Rush slip ons with 2.25 baffles. gonna call in the morning but was wondering if anyone thinks my mufflers will work with the AC headers?

Old 04-15-2012, 04:37 PM
JonW
Road Warrior
Received 348 Likes on 157 Posts

I've got the AC slip-ons on my Heritage. The sound is awesome and perfect. I wish I would have put them on my SG as well. Great product, great service, very reasonable price.

Old 04-15-2012, 04:40 PM
botz723
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

My buddy just put em on his '11 RK Classic....I'm sold. ordering tomorrow.

Old 04-15-2012, 05:01 PM
jeffreydsilver
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 163 Likes on 112 Posts
Default I Like Them

I have an 09 Road King I purchased their "bomber" slip ons for. I got their slash forward mufflers and mid range baffles with the black end cap inserts. The rest of my bike is stock. When I originally put the mufflers on I opted to not use any baffles. I loved the loud but gained a very noticable decel popping. I contacted Vance & Hines about their Fuelpak - put it on - and wah-lah, no more popping. Fuel mileage wasn't effected AT ALL, so I'm guessing it is running at about the same fuel mixture as stock.

At the end of last year the wife commented that her ears were ringing after a prolonged highway run so I put the mid range baffles back in. I also drilled additional holes in them (to me they made the bike to quiet) and I'm happy with the results.

To me they were an extremely affordable, quality alternative with more than acceptable results. Without the baffles I am constantly asked what work I've had done to the motor. Loud = performance? I wouldn't hesitate to do it again!

Old 09-14-2012, 07:26 PM
twigg246
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just put the Whole system on my 2012 RKC. Love it. The sound is awsome and a deep rumble. I have not noticed any popping during decel but only have about 100 miles on them today. No other changes other than no baffles for the time. Was at the Delmarva Bike fest and took them about 60 minutes to change out my complete system with theirs. You can't even tell the system was changed out other than the sound when started. They will send me the super quite baffles once they retun to the shop I was told. After reading all the post's I may need to by one mid baffle as I like the sound just don't want to wake the neighbors. I must say they were very informative and had several different bikes that I was able to listen to before I made my decision. As for V/H their price was the same as the dealer and the system they started for me sounds just like what I have. And I paid a grand less. AC was great.

Quick Reply: American Custom (exhaust)