Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ignition switch install problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2012, 08:34 PM
CLL375
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MichiganRider
I've watched the youtube video clip a bunch of times and he makes it look so easy.
I do make it look easy, don't I. HAHAHA The key is lining up both the cams in the switch. Take a flashlight and look down in the hole. Line up the upper cam with the lower cam by orientating it in the direction of the the lower one. Then measure your tool against the stock switch and make sure the tool you have will reach both cams in the switch. Turn the tool until you have them both where you want them. Reinstall factory keyed switch.

Hope the helps.

Old 02-11-2012, 08:51 PM
MichiganRider
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CLL375
I do make it look easy, don't I. HAHAHA The key is lining up both the cams in the switch. Take a flashlight and look down in the hole. Line up the upper cam with the lower cam by orientating it in the direction of the the lower one. Then measure your tool against the stock switch and make sure the tool you have will reach both cams in the switch. Turn the tool until you have them both where you want them. Reinstall factory keyed switch.

Hope the helps.
So the lower cam is fixed and the upper cam needs to be aligned with the lower?

Old 02-11-2012, 09:01 PM
CLL375
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

So the lower cam is fixed and the upper cam needs to be aligned with the lower?
Nope, they both rotate. Aligning the upper with the lower is the easiest way to align them both.

Old 02-11-2012, 10:14 PM
MichiganRider
Tourer

Originally Posted by CLL375
Nope, they both rotate. Aligning the upper with the lower is the easiest way to align them both.
Thanks again! Without this board I would still be out in the gargage pushing and turning!

Old 02-11-2012, 11:40 PM
Potato_Potato
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have had mine off several times but only once was it difficult. I eventually got it by trying different widths and lengths of screw drivers. Those paint can tools are kind of short - maybe it is not long enough to reach to the bottom tumblers.

Old 02-12-2012, 11:14 AM
1Canuck
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,252 Likes on 1,439 Posts

with the keyed piece removed and you then turn the bar it will go out of alignment. twice now all I used to re-align was the keyed swith without spring etc. just lower slowly rotating right to left between locked and on position to feel the top cam, then turn cam to position where it was when you removed it, usually in locked bar left position. continue down to confirm lower cam is aligned the same. works for me without any tool.

Old 02-13-2012, 11:55 AM
MichiganRider
Tourer

Originally Posted by 1Canuck
with the keyed piece removed and you then turn the bar it will go out of alignment. twice now all I used to re-align was the keyed swith without spring etc. just lower slowly rotating right to left between locked and on position to feel the top cam, then turn cam to position where it was when you removed it, usually in locked bar left position. continue down to confirm lower cam is aligned the same. works for me without any tool.
This worked out perfect, got it installed and everything works. Didn't really understand how everything worked. Last question. When I turn it to fork lock, it makes a audible clunk when it locks. Is that right? Don't really remember it doing that before.

Old 02-14-2012, 10:09 AM
1Canuck
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,252 Likes on 1,439 Posts

This worked out perfect, got it installed and everything works. Didn't really understand how everything worked. Last question. When I turn it to fork lock, it makes a audible clunk when it locks. Is that right? Don't really remember it doing that before.
that is because it is in locked position when you turn the bar far left. normaly you turn then lock

Old 02-14-2012, 12:31 PM
murph
Elite HDF Member
Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

yes normal. mine does it

Old 02-14-2012, 07:22 PM
pscyclepath
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This just happened to me today after installing iniminators in forks.
Funny to cause i had the switch out many times no prob.
All is well now and thanks forum dudes

Quick Reply: Ignition switch install problems