Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rockford Fosgate Amp Surging?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2012, 02:53 PM
NC_John
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rockford Fosgate Amp Surging?

Hey guys. I just installed the RF 4 channel (PBR300X4) amp in my 05 FLHTCI and noticed at moderate volume when the bike is not running the volume seems to occasionally surge (get louder momentarily). It looks like the "booster" LED is flashing when it does this. I don't notice it doing it so much when the bike is running. I wonder if this is a) a voltage supply problem (I'm running the recommended 10 ga power wire), b) if this is the way this amp works (which seems odd) or c) if I have a problem and need to contact the factory....

I know a bunch of you guys are running the same amp- have yours done this?

Old 02-24-2012, 03:24 PM
dmathieu
Intermediate

I just installed the same amp and it works great with the bike on or off. Have you tried adjusting the settings ( gain, crossover, channels)?

I didn't do anything special.
- I used the recommend 10g power and ground wire with a 30amp fuse.
- Plugged in rca cables from stereo to rca harness provided
- connected speaker wires to harness provided
- connected remote wire
- adjusted gain.

Old 02-24-2012, 04:02 PM
NC_John
Intermediate

Yep, I played around with the gain and the voltage setting for the input- still does it. You say you hooked up the RCA cables and remote from the deck. Are you using an aftermarket stereo or the H-D unit? I'm running hi-level inputs from the pre-HK stereo to the amp on mine (05).

Old 02-24-2012, 04:18 PM
dmathieu
Intermediate

I have an Dragonfly fairing on a RK with a standard car stereo, so yes I hooked up the remote wire and rca cables straight to the stereo.

Old 02-24-2012, 05:06 PM
DEW2112
Cruiser

Havent noticed any surging issues with mine and Ive been playing it all winter with a trickle charger hooked up in the garage. You might want to contact RF and explain the issue cause that dont seem right.

Old 02-24-2012, 05:38 PM
dbell66253
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm wondering if you have a remote wire hooked up, I know it says you don't need it if you use the high level input, but it won't hurt. Alos how strong is your battery, before I changed the battery on my wifes bike the volume would only go so high and then it would clip real bad.

Old 02-24-2012, 06:10 PM
NC_John
Intermediate

Originally Posted by dbell66253
I'm wondering if you have a remote wire hooked up, I know it says you don't need it if you use the high level input, but it won't hurt. Alos how strong is your battery, before I changed the battery on my wifes bike the volume would only go so high and then it would clip real bad.
Nope, no remote wire hooked up. Battery is good too. Fairly recent with a tender on it whenever its in the garage. I wonder if its the speed compensated volume somehow acting up.....

Old 02-24-2012, 06:11 PM
NC_John
Intermediate

Originally Posted by DEW2112
Havent noticed any surging issues with mine and Ive been playing it all winter with a trickle charger hooked up in the garage. You might want to contact RF and explain the issue cause that dont seem right.
Yeah, if nobody else has experienced it, I might have to do that.

Old 02-24-2012, 06:21 PM
NC_John
Intermediate

I just went out to the bike and turned off the AVC (automatic volume compensation) and it seems to have fixed it... Fingers are crossed thats all it was. Thanks for the suggestions. Not sure why that would do that but if that fixed it its good enough for me.

Old 02-25-2012, 08:07 AM
pauly3
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NC_John
I just went out to the bike and turned off the AVC (automatic volume compensation) and it seems to have fixed it... Fingers are crossed thats all it was. Thanks for the suggestions. Not sure why that would do that but if that fixed it its good enough for me.
That's great news! AVC is not good for your amp and speakers any ways!

Quick Reply: Rockford Fosgate Amp Surging?