Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Salvage Title - Value impact??

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2012, 08:22 PM
streetbobkid
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Salvage is worth 60-75% of value in most places. The worst part about salvage is that all it really means is insurance paid it off at some point, could be reasons that caused no damage.

I've never had a problem insuring, but most banks are only gonna give you 50% value, and resale is horrible. Is pay 7-8k max for it if I was wanting to keep it

Old 02-26-2012, 08:22 PM
Thet
Tourer

But to the OP, no. $12,500 is WAY too much to ask for a salvage title on that thing, regardless of how well it was done. Take that and cut it in half... then maybe.

Old 02-26-2012, 08:24 PM
ClassicBill
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is a clean title price for that bike in Nebraska at this time of the year. Look on craigs list and you'll see lots of similar bikes for similar prices.

Old 02-26-2012, 08:34 PM
buggin02
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Lots of low mileage bikes around with clear titles for that kind of money.

Old 02-26-2012, 08:36 PM
streetglide44
Road Captain

I personally wouldn't buy one. Reason being I'm more likely to sell. I tend to buy my bikes from September -November when riders want to unload cheaply.

Old 02-26-2012, 08:38 PM
Bigdave12768
Tourer

I have to agree 12.5 No way 7k maybe. Look around plenty out there.

At a dealer same miles almost same price

http://hdmotorcyclesforsale.com/SingleAd.aspx?id=3844

Old 02-26-2012, 08:42 PM
Bigdave12768
Tourer
Old 02-26-2012, 08:44 PM
Tinman265
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

From my experience getting basic bodily injury / property dammage is not a problem but they will not insure any loss of the bike. No collision or comprehensive.

So if you buy it and it gets dammaged it's on you. If someone else hits you it could be real fight to get them to pay.

You can check your state and possibly get the title turned into a rebuilt title. Still worth less but fully insureable then.

Old 02-26-2012, 09:39 PM
Neggy ZRXOA 5248
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 816 Likes on 462 Posts

I am a licensed insurance appraiser, and I have rebuilt dozens of totaled cars, but I stay away from bikes because salvage bikes are a PITA, but I have friends who do many salvage titled bikes with no problems.

Most insurance adjusters have no clue how to write a bike, they write wrong and it gets totaled on cost, not damage.

The cost of parts and labor to get a bike to be a economic loss for the insurance company is easily hit.

How does a bike get totaled with very little damage you ask?

By law in MA when the cost of the repair and the SALVAGE VALUE exceed the actual cash value (replacement cost minus depreciation or adding improvements) then the bike is totaled.

HD's have a high salvage value at auction, so it is possible that a bike that is worth 15 grand, that has 4K in damage can be "totaled" because the bike is going to bring 11,100 at auction.

As with salvage cars, you really want to know the person who did the work. Bike frames are really easy to bend, some of the damage is obvious, some can be found by a trained eye, some is only found by precision set up in a jig and measuring it out.

If you are confident the bike has been repaired properly, and the price is 60 to 70% of book, then buy it, but understand if you go to sell it, it is not going to be an easy sell. The best way to buy a salvage vehicle is to plan on keeping it a few years until the value has dropped to the point it won't matter if it is salvage or not.

Many banks will not loan money on a salvage vehicle. They don't want to end up with it if it is a lemon and you let them re-po it, they are not going to get anything for it at auction.

As for insurance, the company only has to pay you actual cash value, and salvage titled vehicle already have a diminished value to start with when it comes to figuring Actual Cash Value.

So it is buyer beware, make sure the bike has been returned to pre accident condition in every department..frame, suspension, electrical,paint, and know that the vehicle is worth much less than a non damaged vehicle, and that the resale is going to reflect that too.

b tw insist on seeing the appraisers report that totaled the vehicle, that will specify all the damage that caused the vehicle to be declared a total loss. Make sure all items have been addressed in the repair

Last edited by Neggy ZRXOA 5248; 02-26-2012 at 09:42 PM.
Old 02-26-2012, 09:48 PM
marvo75
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was told by 5 people (die hard HD riders)that salvage kills the whats it worth price by 40%. My friend bought a 2005 EG with a salvage title, he took it to the dealer last year, i was with him, dealer offered him $2000 because of the salvage ...They ran the vin...if you are gonna dealer trade ever your gonna get dry f&cked, private party resale you will find someone willing to buy it a a decent price, theres always people that either dont give a sh&t bout salvage title, or people that are dumb...

Quick Reply: Salvage Title - Value impact??