Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Salvage Title - Value impact??

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2012, 07:55 PM
sdoomaha
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Salvage Title - Value impact??

Looking to get my first Harkey...cannot afford what I want...so looking at an 07 ultra classic..salvage title. New front end...repair work looks solid and rides well up over 100 mph, will take to dealer to validate repairs before even considering dropping the cash.

Anyone have experience with salvage titles? If repairs take the bike back to looking new....what impact does the salvage title have on resale? I'm not scared of the salvage title...just want to try and make sure I am not paying too much that I'll never recoup if I try to sell.

07 Ultra Classic, 9,000 miles repaired to original..12,500

Thanks

Steve O!

Old 02-26-2012, 08:03 PM
ClassicBill
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dous it happen to be Black cherry in color

Old 02-26-2012, 08:05 PM
dickey
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,477 Likes on 2,477 Posts

It will be almost impossible to insure, finance, and resell. That is a 5K bike, IF that.

Old 02-26-2012, 08:09 PM
tidbit1
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I have an 09 Street Glide salvage I bought in Texas brought back to Georgia. They had put 2010 tins on and it looked brand new. I had to jump through a bunch of hoops but it was still in Warranty and I had the compensator replace with the upgrade and everything has been great with the bike . I see nothing wrong with buying one with a salvage title. You want get out what you have in a bike anyway be it salvaged or not. Others may rag you about it but it doesn't affect the performance/ride or apperance. If you can save some bucks go for it. Just don't pay a non salvage price.

Old 02-26-2012, 08:11 PM
fenderzig
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't buy a salvage bike if you ever plan on reselling it...Just my opinion but I'd save until I could by a clean title.

Old 02-26-2012, 08:12 PM
Thet
Tourer

Originally Posted by dickey
It will be almost impossible to insure, finance, and resell. That is a 5K bike, IF that.
Wait, what?

Insure? You don't even need a title to insure a car. So I find it difficult to see how it'll be difficult to insure with a salvage...

Finance, yes. I'll agree there.

Resell? Nah. Not if you put it at the right price. A salvage title'd vehicle is worth roughly 25% of the original CLEAN TITLE resale.

But a Salvage title doesn't necessarily mean it has been wrecked. Sure, maybe this one has, but that could also mean water damage, fire, etc. It just means that someone decided to bring it back from the grave after it was deemed "totaled".

Old 02-26-2012, 08:14 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 394 Likes on 336 Posts

Originally Posted by fenderzig
Don't buy a salvage bike if you ever plan on reselling it...Just my opinion but I'd save until I could by a clean title.

+1

yes, insure- when the insurance company run the vin and they may not be interested, or the price may increase.

try it, call the insurance company and ask for a quote

I had trouble with a '53 FL with an assigned vin, some carriers wouldn't touch it

mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 02-26-2012 at 08:17 PM.
Old 02-26-2012, 08:15 PM
tidbit1
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Insuring a salvaged bike in Ga is NO problem at all.

Old 02-26-2012, 08:15 PM
Lowcountry Joe
Elite HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 45 Posts

Lots of good titles out there for the same price range. I wouldn't do it for anything close to that price. Think about it this way, if the money is an issue for you now, it will be more of an issue of you ever want to sell this bike. If you are going to keep the bike forever, that may be a different story, but that's rare.

Old 02-26-2012, 08:21 PM
Thet
Tourer

I had an 88 S-10 with salvage title that I insured at 18. If I had put full coverage on it, it would have been even less than a clean title with full coverage due to it having a naturally lower resale value. My insurance agent checked with quite a few companies and the only one unwilling to insure me didn't want to not because of what it was, but because I was 18 with 4 tickets on my record. haha

Quick Reply: Salvage Title - Value impact??