Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2012 roadking exhaust options

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2012, 05:17 AM
btmonnat
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2012 roadking exhaust options

I just bought a 2012 Roadking FLHR. Looking for a better sounding exhaust. Do I need a full exhaust system to get rid of the cat. converter stock exhaust I know have and also will I have to change my fuel management system if all I change is the exhaust. All I care about is a good sound with out spending a lot of money. Any suggestions will be helpful because I am kinda new to this.

Last edited by btmonnat; 03-03-2012 at 06:27 AM.
Old 03-03-2012, 07:28 AM
Tn.Heritage
Grand HDF Member
Received 183 Likes on 131 Posts

First congrats on the king. Nothing like the excitment of a new ride and making decisions on some of the first mods you want to do.
Now with that have been said, sometimes your answers are just a search away. Exhaust is probably one of if not the most talked about mod to do on a Harley and can also be expensive. Just to get sound, replace the mufflers and nothing else and your good to go. To get sound and power you will have to spend more money. There's alot of vendors and sponsors on this forum that can steer you in the right direction to what mods you can do and what the cost will be. Hope this helps a little and good luck with your mods.

Old 03-03-2012, 08:51 AM
clbking
Cruiser

Congrats on your FLHR. Got mine last year and I too had the same intentions. So after doing a lot of reading here, and You Tube listening, I decided on V&H Power duals headers and V&H Monster Rounds for the exhaust system. I wanted to improve the breathing better so I installed Fuel Moto's Stage 1 Air Cleaner (which enables me to keep my stock cleaner cover).
So with the bike inhaling and exhaling better, I had to modify the ECM via Dynojet's Power Vision which was a 30 second job.
The sound and improvement is amazing. Just love this combo I have.

Attached Thumbnails 2012 roadking exhaust options-p1210206.jpg   2012 roadking exhaust options-p3020325.jpg  
Old 03-03-2012, 09:51 AM
scotracy
Road Captain

I am currentyl having my Indy do my stage 1. I am getting Arlen Ness Big Sucker A/C Freedom Performance Exhaust, and PCV. If I were you I would strip off exhaust, and install Freedom Performance. Good price, great system, and my indy swears by this setup. If you are only doing exhaust, you do not need a fuel management setup. Run the bike and it will reset itself. I think it would be better to do the stage 1 myself tho. Enjoy!

Old 03-09-2012, 04:49 AM
btmonnat
Advanced

Thanks to all. Lots of good helpful people here. As I learn I will try to do the same.

Old 03-09-2012, 05:25 AM
dohadex
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wink Suggestions...

Congrats on your new King! You won't be dissappointed!
I'd like to offer a suggestion regarding your exhaust and fuel management.

Before I bought my RK, I did allot of research on things like fuel injection (completely different than carbs), the newer 96" Twin Cam engines, and also the newer frames (2009 and up). Exhausts were another topic.

Someone suggested going to motorcycle events and listening to other bikes, then talking to the riders about them. Bikers LOVE to talk about their bikes and the mods they did. So it's a win-win...you get to hear their bikes AND an ear full of advise and suggestions.

I ended up with V&H Monster Ovals because of several factors. I also felt the need to richen up the fuel by means of a Power COmmander V from Fuel Moto...an excellent product from an excellent vendor.

Good luck finding what you want....it won't stop at an exhaust!

Cheers....

Old 03-09-2012, 06:33 AM
ChristoHD
Road Warrior
Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Exhaust sound is subjective.

1st, congrats on the King! I just got done with a winter project on a 2010 FLHP, Police King.

As the others have suggested, go listen. Find some bike night, and see who has what and hear who has what. I went with a complete Fuel Moto system on mine. I love the sound, and the added power. 4" Jackpots, new headers, A/C, and Power Vision.

Enjoy!

Old 03-09-2012, 06:53 AM
TKDKurt
Elite HDF Member
Received 126 Likes on 88 Posts

My suggestion is to ride your new bike for a while first and see how you will use the bike. The sound you might like for around-town barhopping may not be the same that you will like to listen to all day on a long trip. If you find that you ride with others, if you go too loud, your buddies may not want to ride with you (or at least not behind you). If you do a search on these forums for threads on exhausts, you will read alot about people who wnet one direction with exhaust and then changed it when they decided they'd made a mistake. It's expensive experimentation.

You may also want to search threads about gutting the cat. There is a split of opinions on whether that is a good idea or not.

I am still trying to decide on mine.

Old 03-09-2012, 07:10 AM
storm8732
Road Captain
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

I too have a 2012 FLHR. I sent my mufflers off to American Custom (sponsor here) to have them modified. Great Price, great customer service, fantastic turn aroundf time, very pleased with the result. I have had others in the past......these sound just as good if not better than most I have heard for half the cost. I did not have my cat removed from the headpipe....I dont think I would want it much louder....

Last edited by storm8732; 03-09-2012 at 07:17 AM.
Old 03-09-2012, 07:45 AM
fzggm4
Road Captain
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default re: EXHAUST

Congrats on the new bike. Can't go wrong with a King.
I, (like you will find many others on the forum), chose the Fuel Moto Stage 1 route. They provided a Fuel Moto head pipe (no cat), Stage 1 intake, Jackpot slash-up mufflers, and a Vision tuner with their map. Sound and style are subjective, but the performance gained is an added plus. They can provide other brands as well. Their products are quality and their service is fantastic. The tuner comes mapped to your setup and if you do any other work down the road they can e-mail you an updated map for your setup that you just download into the Vision.
They are the "EASY" button.

Quick Reply: 2012 roadking exhaust options