Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chrome Lower Wind Deflectors

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2012, 08:51 PM
Stickman81
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

On the Wide Glide, I just took off the windshield and put up with the forces while riding. It was better than the buffeting.

Now that I have had the Street Glide just over a month, I have been experimenting with different setups and still have buffeting issues, some worse than others.

I have tried almost all combinations with the following -
* Tall clear windshield that I can see over.
* 6.5" Klock Werks windshield. (suspect too short).
* Little bitty worthless (IMO) opaque windshield.
* Fixed Dragon Wings.
* Stock seat.
* Mustang Solo Seat.
* HD Reach seat.
* Modular helmet.
* Half-style helmet. (not quite 1/2 and not quite 3/4 but inbetween).

After reading a bit about the buffeting on this forum, my next tries will be the 8" Klock Werks windshield and fork mounted lowers. I hope I get a marked improvement soon.

Old 03-28-2012, 09:01 PM
Gotham
Road Captain
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I had lowers on my Voluisa and now I have HD Chrome Lowers on my Road King. Added the fork deflector from an earlier touring bike and no buffeting at any speed.

Ed

Old 03-28-2012, 09:31 PM
byersmtrco
Supporter
Received 492 Likes on 343 Posts

Ok. So here's my dumb question.

Is it me . . . Or do less RoadKing owners complain about buffeting
than EG or RG riders?
Does just the tall standard shield work better? I'm not trying to be a smarta$$ here.
I possibly have my Heritage sold. I WANT a touring model.
I see where the angle of a RK windshield is different than the Heritage.
W/o the chrome deflector things-the Heritage SUCKS.
You better have that helmet strapped on tight, or it'll blow right off-glasses too. Sick of it!!!

Old 03-28-2012, 09:48 PM
HAWGMAN
Cruiser
Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts
Question Chrome lower wind deflectors

Just to make sure that we are talking apples and apples, are these also called the chrome fork air deflectors ?? If we are talking about the same deflector, is there any issue in using them in the heat of the summer ???
I have a 2007 FLHTC and use a Clearview windshield (I have a 10 in., a 12. in., and a 14 in. for touring) All three windshields work very well as far as deflecting the wind over the top of the shield. But like everyone else I get the bad airflow from UNDER the fairing and tank.
My main concern in using the fork deflectors is changing the airflow to the engine during the summer. I have the E/G Classic so I do not have the hard lowers.
I am getting ready for a ROAD TRIP very soon so this information is coming at a very good time.
Thanks for the info./ Ride Safe and Happy Trail's !

Old 03-28-2012, 10:26 PM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by myflhtc
Just to make sure that we are talking apples and apples, are these also called the chrome fork air deflectors ?? If we are talking about the same deflector, is there any issue in using them in the heat of the summer ???
I have a 2007 FLHTC and use a Clearview windshield (I have a 10 in., a 12. in., and a 14 in. for touring) All three windshields work very well as far as deflecting the wind over the top of the shield. But like everyone else I get the bad airflow from UNDER the fairing and tank.
My main concern in using the fork deflectors is changing the airflow to the engine during the summer. I have the E/G Classic so I do not have the hard lowers.
I am getting ready for a ROAD TRIP very soon so this information is coming at a very good time.
Thanks for the info./ Ride Safe and Happy Trail's !

My bike gets very, very, hot. I got it this past August, just in time for a long stretch of 100+ degree temps. Also took a road trip to Texas. 500 miles a day, in 100+ degree temps. I don't know if they caused the bike to get hotter than it normally would, but it did get very hot. So hot that I made a couple of extra stops just to let her cool off a bit. It hasn't seemed to hurt her any.

I plan on experimenting a little more this summer by leaving on the fork baffle, and removing the chrome fork deflectors. And vice-verse. If I can eliminate the deflectors without increasing the buffeting, I may leave them off until Winter.

Old 03-31-2012, 01:38 PM
byersmtrco
Supporter
Received 492 Likes on 343 Posts

You feel more heat on your legs with them on. They're just blocking
some of the cooler air.
No noticeable difference in eng heat or oil temps.

Old 03-31-2012, 02:33 PM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member

Well I took mine off the other day. I'm definitely getting more air hitting my upper body. I have to now decide if I want to leave them off because I discovered something by accident. I'm getting 18 more miles per tank without the deflectors

Old 04-01-2012, 09:59 AM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member

Ok. I put mine back on last night. Most of my riding since taking them off have been short jaunts down the highway and my regular commute to work.

Yesterday evening the wife and I took a 215 mile ride. I was miserable. Wind beat me to death at 75 mph and when we got off the bike, I felt like I was in a tunnel. My hearing was really affected. So the first thing I did when we got home was put them back on. And they are staying this time.

Old 04-01-2012, 10:32 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,854 Likes on 2,420 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by DannyZ71
My hearing was really affected. So the first thing I did when we got home was put them back on. And they are staying this time.
You should be wearing ear plugs! The noise we are all subject to was documented and published widely back in the 1970s and still doesn't seem to get through! If we work in a noisy workplace as bad as riding a bike, we would all be compelled to wear ear protection. Protect your hearing on all but the shortest rides!

Old 04-01-2012, 10:40 AM
JoeTag
Road Captain
Received 17 Likes on 6 Posts

I have a set of fork lowers in chrome for my SG and cut the buffeting substantially. I used them for about a month or so. I removed them after mounting the lowers. Let me know if anyone is interested.

Quick Reply: Chrome Lower Wind Deflectors