Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Correct Windshield Height?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2012, 07:02 PM
06SGWA
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Correct Windshield Height?

I am a little tall and I am sitting well above my windshield. I would say my line of sight is about 5-6 inches above the top of it. I am assuming that normally you should be looking through the windshield and not above it. If that is the case, how high should it be?

Thanks!

Old 03-24-2012, 07:12 PM
Wassup8687
Club Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You should be looking an inch over it. Not through it.

Old 03-24-2012, 07:25 PM
OldPhat
Elite HDF Member
Received 161 Likes on 146 Posts

Windshield should be just below your eye level about an inch or two.

Old 03-24-2012, 07:35 PM
KCFLHRC
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,300 Likes on 780 Posts

Yep, it should just about level with the tip of your nose.

Old 03-24-2012, 08:27 PM
fireaxxe
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Get a mirror mount in in front of you, like on a wall in your garage, or just have someone hold it. Make sure the bike is level, sit on it the bike, and you should see windshield positioned between your nose and your chin looking through the mirror. Anything higher will add more comfort but you wont like looking through it in the rain. Anything lower is purely for looks as a lower windshield will increase turbulence.

Old 03-24-2012, 08:33 PM
06SGWA
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for the replies. Looks like a new windshield is in my ever growing list of things to order

Old 03-24-2012, 08:38 PM
Montana Cowboy
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by fireaxxe
Get a mirror mount in in front of you, like on a wall in your garage, or just have someone hold it. Make sure the bike is level, sit on it the bike, and you should see windshield positioned between your nose and your chin looking through the mirror. Anything higher will add more comfort but you wont like looking through it in the rain. Anything lower is purely for looks as a lower windshield will increase turbulence.

Here's what worked good for me......drop a nice sized rock or what ever 40-50 feet infront of your bike. Go back and sit in the saddle in a comfortable riding position. Adjust the height of your windshield so that you can look over it and see the rock on the ground.

I had to cut the top off mine because I couldn't slip it down far enough. I looked up on line for suggestions and followed the one that made the most sense to me. Job came out real good.

It sure beats looking through on rainy days, with sun glare etc. The wind still is diverted over my head and riding is so much better.

Old 03-24-2012, 09:48 PM
KCFLHRC
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,300 Likes on 780 Posts

Originally Posted by fireaxxe
Make sure the bike is level, sit on it the bike, and you should see windshield positioned between your nose and your chin looking through the mirror.
That is simply not true. If the windshield is between your nose and chin that is way too low. This is direct from Memphis Shades Website,

Most riders like to be able to see over their windshields. But in order to do this and still get ample protection, the windshield must reach up between the tip and the bridge of a riders nose. If it doesn't, a rider will experience mild to severe buffeting.
Many riders like looking through their windshields, but what they often fail to account for is rain. When it rains everyone has to look over the top of the windshield in order to see clearly. When choosing a windshield it's vital a rider chooses one that isn't so high that he or she can't comfortably extend themselves to see up over the top of the windshield.

Old 03-24-2012, 09:49 PM
CT-Bagger
Road Master

Put and object on the ground 50ft. in front of the bike.
Sit on the bike at the normal seating position.
You should be looking just over the top when looking at the object on the ground.

Old 03-24-2012, 09:55 PM
CT-Bagger
Road Master

Put and object on the ground 50ft. in front of the bike.
Sit on the bike at the normal seating position.
You should be looking just over the top when looking at the object on the ground.

You can tape the windshield with a good coating of blue masking and cut it down if required.
use a metal cutting ( fine ) blade with a jig saw and simply sand the edges with medium and work towards fine papers.
The whole deal should be about 15 minutes.

Last edited by CT-Bagger; 03-24-2012 at 11:41 PM.

Quick Reply: Correct Windshield Height?