Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do I know when my 2001 RG is overheating?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2012, 09:14 AM
yoosernayme
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fabrik8r
My 06 doesn't have the "EITMS" either, but it does still have overheat control functions, don't remember if it was in the service or owners manual, but there will be a description some where, explaining the enrichment and skip fire modes. I got my EITMS info from the TTS Mastertune manual. There are a couple parameters that trigger EITMS and a couple stages, but roughly when you hit 300F triggers it. That is measured at the front cylinder head. You could make your own simple dummy light with a thermal "snap" switch (rated at your temperature choice), and a miniature LED, for less than $20. If your interested in something like this I can look up the component links and post it for you later this evening.
I guess the bottom line is: was my bike ready to strand me because of something that was programed into it's ecm (this I can deal with), or do I need to find some other reason it went into seizure.

BTW that "dummy switch" thing sounds cool. Id appreciate the info

Old 03-30-2012, 09:40 AM
Pondskipper
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

When the transmission case melts over your boot it is too hot.

Old 03-30-2012, 09:56 AM
dstrat1
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Chances are it got hot enough to give you vapor lock, ie boiled the fuel in the line, so you were not getting fuel....I rode my 09 thru the hottest summer in Texas with no problem, and did notice after installing an oil temp gauge that temps come down very fast if you even shut down for a minute or too...I never needed to, I would ride traffic and say, run into the hardware store for 5 minutes, and when I came out temps would usually be below 180....fwiw

Old 03-30-2012, 10:22 AM
yoosernayme
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dstrat1
Chances are it got hot enough to give you vapor lock, ie boiled the fuel in the line, so you were not getting fuel....I rode my 09 thru the hottest summer in Texas with no problem, and did notice after installing an oil temp gauge that temps come down very fast if you even shut down for a minute or too...I never needed to, I would ride traffic and say, run into the hardware store for 5 minutes, and when I came out temps would usually be below 180....fwiw
Makes sense..Will a fuel injected motorcycle vapor lock though?

Old 03-31-2012, 03:12 AM
Expat1
Road Master
Location: Annemasse (border of Geneva-Switzerland) facing Mt-Blanc.
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by yoosernayme
Will a fuel injected motorcycle vapor lock though?
While the vapor cushion forms during pressurised fuel delivery, the fuel pump continues to add new fuel into the line. The engine stalls then rapidly restarts as liquid fuel arrives into the pump. Since the fuel injection pump is a metering pump, it will capture and evacuate gas instead of liquid.
If the source of heat is not isolated this problem becomes recurrent/cyclic.

A simple heat deflector (aluminum + asbestos) fixed directly under the fuel tank should be perfect.