Catalytic Converter Removal - Page 2 - Harley Davidson Forums

Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Catalytic Converter Removal

P

Old 04-01-2012, 02:39 PM
Road Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultra89Rider View Post
First, what it does suggest is that many that post here like to buy tuners. If downloads didn't work, the sales would be really low and many dealers would not waste their time to perform them.

Next, if you look at number two and three, they contradict each other.
As for number three, it is just your opinion, and I disagree.
I installed the A/C and mufflers before I took my RG down to have the Stage 1 download installed.
When it was done, I noticed a slight improvement in performance (My opinion).
But what is not my opinion is the increase in fuel mileage. It increased 4 MPG over before I had the download installed.

So to say the Stage one download is worthless is incorrect, and just your opinion. And then to say you recommend a tuner makes no sense. A tuner is just a different MAP from the stock MAP. There are Factory Harley tuners as well as aftermarket ones. So any Tuner, or just aftermarket tuners?
For you to recommend one over another (rather than to just state your results) must mean you work for, or make something from it? Or you just need to justify your purchase of one instead of just a download?

But, again this is just my opinion.
A Harley Stage 1 download still runs lean, thats why your mpg stayed or increased. It does richen it up some but still under EPA guidelines. Also devises like the fuelpac I installed are more of fuel management not true tuners.
Old 08-17-2012, 10:16 AM

Hey..I can't figure out how to PM here yet..but I am trying to get this mod done right NOW!
I have talked to 4 or 5 custom exhaust places and a couple of custom bike builders, and they have all said they won't or can't.
I have found one who is finding out exactly what he has to do to get this done correctly, but hasn't quoted me a price yet...he hasn't performed this mod yet.

PLEASE PM me with his info!
I'm in Spring.
Old 08-17-2012, 10:27 AM
Road Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicwinger View Post
Hey..I can't figure out how to PM here yet..but I am trying to get this mod done right NOW!
I have talked to 4 or 5 custom exhaust places and a couple of custom bike builders, and they have all said they won't or can't.
I have found one who is finding out exactly what he has to do to get this done correctly, but hasn't quoted me a price yet...he hasn't performed this mod yet.

PLEASE PM me with his info!
I'm in Spring.
Check Ebay..that way you can keep your stock header if ever needed. Sometimes some good deals for a gutted header pipe there or even in the classifieds here
Old 08-17-2012, 10:47 AM
Senior Rider

Wild Pig Pipes will do it for the price quoted by the OP.
http://www.wildpigpipes.com/
If you are Military, give them a call for a better deal.
Old 08-17-2012, 02:38 PM

I appreciate the info, but I'd like to get a local shop, in and/or around Houston, Texas to perform the work.
Old 08-20-2012, 05:42 PM

C.H.L., can you give me the guy's name and number who cut out your cat?

Thanks!
Old 08-20-2012, 06:33 PM
Extreme HDF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by one-up View Post
After you gutted the cat., did you install a different air cleaner or do a download or add a tuner?? I'm interested in guttin' the cat. on my 2011 EGC 96'' engine and wondering what needs to be done after that in the way of tuners, downloads??

I think it's going to depend on the bike. With just slip-ons, my bike doesn't need a tuner or download (stage 1), to run properly. But I have my cat still in place and stock a/c. I can detect just the slightest decel pop on it and have made sure there are no exhaust leaks. If I gut the cat, or do a hi flow a/c, there is no doubt in my mind that it would need one or the other. In mine, the cat provides just enough back pressure to keep things running good.

To the OP, how does the stock slip-ons sound on the gutted pipe?
Old 08-20-2012, 07:04 PM
One Of The Regulars

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyZ71 View Post
I think it's going to depend on the bike. With just slip-ons, my bike doesn't need a tuner or download (stage 1), to run properly. But I have my cat still in place and stock a/c. I can detect just the slightest decel pop on it and have made sure there are no exhaust leaks. If I gut the cat, or do a hi flow a/c, there is no doubt in my mind that it would need one or the other. In mine, the cat provides just enough back pressure to keep things running good.

To the OP, how does the stock slip-ons sound on the gutted pipe?
On my bike taking out the cat made the bike alot more fun to ride..the heat on it was unbearable to both me and my gal.. her foot/calf area was constantly turning very red form all the heat and so was my thigh area, I got a gutted pipe from a guy off craigslist ...he charges 125.00... then put it on with no other additions and the bike was a joy to ride again, after a month I decided to get a Power Vision a neighbor near me was selling after he sold his bike, got a new license for it from D/J and did the stock improved tune in it and it runs pretty darn good right now...actually a bit cooler than jus with the gutted pipe on it...
Old 08-20-2012, 07:37 PM
One Of The Regulars

I have to ask, I have a 2011 FLHP, all stock. I don't feel any extra heat other than the heat of sitting on top of an engine, just like many other bikes. Are the people that complain about heat, wearing proper riding gear or shorts and sandals? Are they actually riding somewhere or idling around town? I wear riding gear and ride the bike and don't experience any heat issues even when it's 100 degrees and humid here in the mid- south??? :-/
Old 06-25-2013, 03:32 AM

Send me the info please
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.H.L. View Post
I am not including the guys name so I don't get flagged with.....

.... And I already know that.....

But here we go....

Me, and my two riding buddies, just had our CC's cut out by a guy out in west Houston, and he does a GREAT job. He does NOT cut the pipe in half.... This way, there is not fittment issues going back together (too short, or welded back at an angle)

He cuts a widown in the pipe, removes a section, and uses an air chizzle to get all the crap out.... Then welds the widow he cut out back on.

He does super clean work, and it takes about an hour. He charges $100, but don't think if you bring him 10 he'll cut you a deal, he won't, we all 3 tried haha

It is $100 per pipe, take it or leave it. We are all 3 VERY happy with sound and performance after removal.

If you want his info, PM me, and I'll send it your way.

Thanks!!!!

P