Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking bout cams, mmmm maybe not

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2012, 01:57 AM
klaybus
Stellar HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Just do it! You'll be glad you did...

Old 04-17-2012, 06:23 AM
mrfikser
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

I understand the power thing...Like I say.....horsepower is like *****...all men will do what they can to have more and we all want to use all that we have...

Old 04-17-2012, 06:26 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,387 Likes on 3,301 Posts

I added my cams for low end torque... riding 2up in the mountains with luggage it's nice turning in a switchback and gunning it ....OOOOMPH!

Old 04-17-2012, 06:30 AM
PghCycle24
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by livindadream
So I been thinking bout added some cams to my road glide custom but I'm thinking I might be getting myself in some trouble. Point is, when I'm driving my car or truck I drive mostly the speed of traffic and never in a hurry. But when I'm on my bike I'm always getting on it, pushing its limits. Since I added the bassani road rage, se a/c and power vision I've gotten worse. I really want some cams but I'm thinking I might abuse the increase in power. I wish I could just slow down and enjoy the ride, I know a harley road glide is not a racer but don't tell my throttle hand that. Any of you guys have this problem? And if so whats the cure?
I like your thinking, livindadream. My Ultra 88 was modified by the original owner, then traded in @only 3500 miles. His loss, since the mods/upgrades came to several thousand $$. They said the Stage II was "highway cams", but I don't know the SE part name/#. The bike had issues for the first two years I owned it, which were only resolved when an old Harley mechanic figured out that it was a cam issue. He opened it up and found the front cam had been intalled "out of time" by the selling/modifying dealer when the bike was new. He reinstalled it properly, retuned it and it runs like a dream now! The bike has more power at highway speeds than I need, since it doesn't really shine until I'm running at 80 mph+. The one time I really got on it (after the cam re-install/re-tuning) I ended up having an extended conversation with a State Trooper. He was an aquiantence, so I was fortunate my license didn't go bye-bye. He pointed out that a deer running into my path (late Oct./night time/pre-rut) would create lots of paperwork for him and a funeral for my family to plan. ENOUGH of that $hit!

I don't know what the top end on the Ultra is, and probably never will. That conversation with the PSP was my wake up call. I push my '08 FLHTP to 9/10ths and beyond on a regular basis. I have to-it's my job, and you do what you have to. But I ride my Ultra for relaxation and enjoyment. If I bought a new Ultra, I'd leave it stock aside from some slip-ons. The stock 103 provides plenty of HP and torque for police service, so it would be MORE than enough for touring on a personal bike.

My '04 Ultra had received all the perfomance modifications she'll ever have. Your gut instinct is right on this one, livindadream. Just ride it the way it sits now. I think you'll be better off in the long run.

Last edited by PghCycle24; 04-17-2012 at 06:34 AM.
Old 04-17-2012, 06:37 AM
RBWIDE
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Chunker
One thing to think about for the future. If/when you go to sell it, you may have trouble because of the engine work. Personally my FLHTK has plenty of power and I have no intention of "going inside" it. Pipes, intake etc, but not inside and I wouldn't buy a used bike that someone had. Never know what kind of work was really done, or their skill level. But do what you want to your bike for yourself, but be aware of possible consequences.
I would tend to disagree here. No offense, but HD performance out of the box can best be described, IMO, as anemic. Cams are not a major overhaul, and can wake a bike up some. Done properly, and picking the right ones result in a mod your 'butt Dyno' can feel. To each their own, though, and I respect anyone's decision to leave theirs alone.

Old 04-17-2012, 07:10 AM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 70,873 Likes on 21,498 Posts

Cams are fine, it's the getting them dialed in part that is a pain in the *** and it is not inexpensive either.. Tune, auto tuner,dyno to the tune of $$$$$.

Old 04-17-2012, 09:19 AM
frog13
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 2black1s
Age! My Limited is the first vehicle in my life that has not seen its top speed. I'm 58 now and 100mph on a Harley is fast enough.
I'm going to be 57 this year and yep, 100mph is plenty fast, but I like to get to 100 mph in a few seconds. Seriously though, adding the cams and getting it tuned properly is a great boost. I also can't stress the tune, you'll read on here about how smooth it runs and the "driveability" factor, all that and I now beleive it's true. My last bike and now this one, I ran "canned" maps, they worked great, lots of power, no "hiccups", all was good. This year, I had a dyno tune done, wow is all I can say! Even the ol' lady noticed how smooth everything worked together. I'm not even going to plug my tuner, although I have great faith in him, what I am plugging is the dyno tune itself, if done by a good tuner does make a difference.

Old 04-17-2012, 09:27 AM
Buckinfitch
Supporter
Received 4,081 Likes on 1,514 Posts

Originally Posted by thenewrage
Its a power increase but its not an outrageous increase. It just gets you to your speed faster. I more than likely will not have another bike without cams.
well... if you do, don't reckon you'll get too far

Old 04-17-2012, 09:38 AM
frog13
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Buckinfitch
well... if you do, don't reckon you'll get too far
Now that was just funny!

Old 04-17-2012, 09:48 AM
blusmbl
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I probably wouldn't do mine again. It's definitely quicker and made a noticeable improvement, but it wasn't "oh my god this bike is a beast". I suppose I should've had realistic expectations. I came off an 02 Suzuki Hayabusa, and still have a CRF450X dirtbike.

The other bummer is with a full face helmet it got too loud. Between pulling the cat headpipe off and the cam swap, with a full face it is too loud to enjoy now. With a half helmet it's okay, but that's not how I like to protect myself with the horrible Michigan drivers.

Quick Reply: Thinking bout cams, mmmm maybe not