Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

sat./xm radio

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2012, 05:04 PM
CHILLLS
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question sat./xm radio

thinking about getting it. what is every ones thoughts on this?
not sure if i want the factory set up or a portable one so i can use it in the truck or if the wife wanted to use it. i have heard that if its not built into the radio the reception is not as good (what ever that means). i do have an amp witch will amplify any noise that is produced if it has any.

thanks in advance Dave

Old 05-13-2012, 06:13 PM
zagles
Intermediate

I have the one that goes in the radio, I chose it so I could use the handle switches, all in all I like it, too expensive to buy new. I bought mine on ebay. For long trips it is great, and I can listen to ESPN on the ride to work without static. Don't know much about the reception of an add on unit, the reception is a little worse than my truck or car cuts out more under passes but that is only a few seconds. I dont like all the clutter on the bars that is why I went with it as well as the NAV system, no2 there is a POS system if I have ever seen one.

Old 05-13-2012, 06:23 PM
Spanglerm2000
Intermediate

I have both units built in in my truck and portable that the wife has in her car and I use in the garage too. More options as far as pause rewind and display options on the portable unit. No quality issues if you use the aux in line either. Plus you can use it in multiple places. They also have a new one that is basically a Sirius xm iPod. I think its called lynx. Check it out. I'll never go without satellite radio again. Love nfl radio and Howard

Old 05-13-2012, 06:27 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 395 Likes on 337 Posts

Although I was an early adopter and have comp accounts, I would not reccomend sirius XM to a new buyer.

the programming has suffered in the merger as has bandwidth, much of the programming has such poor audio quality ( due to band width and sampling rates) that it is difficult to listen to or even understand.

my Local FM stations sound awesome compared to some of xm music stations.

but in the middle of nowhere it can be nice.

My last big week trip I ended up using my ipod 95% of the time.

When I got the 09, I didn;t even bother installing the xm unit from the evo- it sits on the bench.

( I have the old delphi skifi, which mounts on the left bar, so the thumb can work the controls. plumbed into the radio via the FM modulator)

If sirius XM is something taht you really like in the car, then get it for the bike.

but the cost of the HD module is way stoopid, as the other guy said, check ebay or the classifieds here

mike

Old 05-13-2012, 06:29 PM
12limited
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I got a separate unit for the XM...I use it in my office at work, shop, home, cars-trucks, as well as on my bike. I have external antennas installed on my office, home and shop. If I am gonna pay for a subscribtion, I figure I need to as much as I can. It gets used all the time. I have use a commander FM direct modulator that injects the FM signal from the Road 2 directly into the antenna jack of the radio to totally isolate any outside interference. I use this on all my vehicles. It works good...no channel interference on the road trips. I do not have any trouble with sat signal... Set it and forget it. I use a Ram mount to hold the Roady2 and the antenna. I have
a weather cover that drops over it if there is a threat of rain.
There are some websites that just deal with Sat radio accessories, I use myxmradiostore.com. They have a lot ideas for a clean install.
What ever floats your boat on this. I understand that folks want to keep the bars clean. This works for me.

Attached Thumbnails sat./xm radio-dsc_0101-1.jpg  
Old 05-13-2012, 06:37 PM
jbkrab
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have had a Sirius Stiletto II portable for many years now with a lifetime subscription. I modified a car install kit to use on a RAM mount for my motorcycles. I like the idea of a portable unit since I use it in the "Man Cave", in the truck when traveling as well on the bike when on a road trip. IMO if you are going to jump into the satellite radio arena, go portable and use it when and where you want. As for plans, that's up to you just be careful and make sure the plan you get is transferable if you have to replace the radio. XM/Sirius keep changing the rules and I have no idea what is what anymore other than since I have a Sirius Lifetime plan, I have to stay with Sirius line of radios. Guess I'm in for a rude awakening when my time comes to replace my radio!

Old 05-13-2012, 07:09 PM
Guitar4Him
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a Zumo 665 on my UC with the XM package which includes Sat weather and traffic. The XM radio is built into the antenna which I have sitting on top of the H-K radio inside the fairing. Reception is good and the weather, especially the radar, has really been helpful. All the audio runs through the H-K radio. It also interfaces, via Bluetooth, with my cell phone, allowing me to make and receive calls through the GPS. It's pricey but the package includes the necessary mounting hardware for the bike and my car.

Old 05-13-2012, 07:25 PM
Romeo
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Guitar4Him
I have a Zumo 665 on my UC with the XM package which includes Sat weather and traffic. The XM radio is built into the antenna which I have sitting on top of the H-K radio inside the fairing. Reception is good and the weather, especially the radar, has really been helpful. All the audio runs through the H-K radio. It also interfaces, via Bluetooth, with my cell phone, allowing me to make and receive calls through the GPS. It's pricey but the package includes the necessary mounting hardware for the bike and my car.
+1 on that. The weather and traffic integration is excellent. Works best if you spring for the Navigation Interface Module (NIM). With the NIM, the turn by turn voice instructions will come through the audio system regardless of the source you are listening to (radio, CD, etc.). In addition, you can put your MP3's on a Micro SD card and play them from the Zumo through the bike's audio system.

Old 05-13-2012, 07:30 PM
CHILLLS
Road Captain

the zumo 665 has a lot to offer & seems like not a bad idea to have it all in one if your going clutter up your bars. it is a bit pricey though $800 WOW.

Old 05-13-2012, 07:36 PM
Guitar4Him
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My 665 in the regular Garmin....not the HD-branded model. For anyone interested, the NIM only works with the HD-branded model.

The only difference is that, as stated in the previous post, navigation directions will come through the audio system regardless of which audio source you have selected. Without the NIM, you will still get navigation directions if you are listening to the Sat radio or MP3's.

Me...I don't like the navigation directions. They drive me nuts after a while. I have them muted so it's a non-issue with me.

Quick Reply: sat./xm radio