Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

dropped

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2012, 10:30 AM
iamfree
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default dropped

guess there's a first time for everything and mine was saturday. at the terrible's gas station in parker, az. got up early to beat the heat and rode 100 yards from the best western to the gas station for fuel and coffee. kickstand down and thought the bike was on its way to leaning on the kickstand but i was wrong, it was leaning the other way and when i swung my leg over down she went. ouch. a street glide on it's side is a sad site. luckily the only witnesses were the elderly woman at the next island (who pretended not to notice) and the young guy working inside. thank you hdforum's for that video, i had the bike up in about 20 seconds.

Old 05-14-2012, 10:38 AM
Axels
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't feel like the Loan Ranger iamfree, It's not a matter of if, but a matter of when. I learned the hard way and now I kick out the Kickstand vigorously before I lean it over. Hope the rest of your ride was enjoyable.

Old 05-14-2012, 10:45 AM
rdb1976
Road Master

It's amazing how much power being pissed off gives you to lift an 800-pound bike after putting it on its side. Happened to me the week I bought my bike. Beginner's stupidity: I stopped at a stop sign and never shifted to first. I hit the gas, dropped the clutch, picked up my feet, and over I went. Squatted, grabbed the handlebars and saddlebag guard and yanked that f'er right up...almost throwing it over the the other side.

Old 05-14-2012, 10:46 AM
longrideshields-1
Premium Sponsor
Received 74 Likes on 47 Posts

First time is always the worst. I've been lucky so far, only had one...knock on wood

General Inquiries:
Info@LongRideShields.com
Sales and Marketing:
Sales@LongRideShields.com
Phone:

Old 05-14-2012, 11:00 AM
HarleyRanger
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I hate it when that happens...

Old 05-14-2012, 11:05 AM
justglidin
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Knock knock

Old 05-14-2012, 02:04 PM
Demolitionman
Tourer

Did you scratch anything? My first time was a similar situation, but I got off on the right side (stupid me). As soon as I realized what was happening I grabbed the bars to try to keep it from falling over but it was too late. The bike fell completely on its side. The bottom of the saddlebag was scatched up pretty good and the fender is scratch and bent on the bottom from hitting the pavement. Luckily in my effort to keep the bike up, the fairing was turned to the left so it didn not touch the ground. Live and learn I suppose......

Old 05-14-2012, 02:14 PM
SinisterFLHTCI
Advanced

I dropped mine in my neighbors garage. I had it on the stand went to push it forward a couple inches to get to the front tire valve and did not check to make sure the kickstand was still under it. Sure enough it wasn't, down she went pinning my foot. Luckily he was there with me and helped me get it up right away. I was still on it when it started to fall so I let it down slow and no damage was done, except to my pride.

Old 05-14-2012, 02:21 PM
Bigdave12768
Tourer

Ok so you had it on stand and you go off on the right side??? I had read that you get off right side. I always get on/off left side. My feeling is if a pant leg gets hooked on something the bike is being pulled toward jiffy stand, not on top of me. I am easily tall enough to get on either side. But I reach over grab hand brake and swing leg over same with getting off. Maybe my size has something do with it.

Old 05-14-2012, 02:54 PM
semiret
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Agree with Axels. Don't feel alone. Seems to be a requirement that we all drop our bikes

Sounds like you finally got your required drop out of the way with minimal damage

Quick Reply: dropped