Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shark Nose VS Batwing Fairing

Old 05-30-2012, 03:40 PM
byersmtrco
Supporter
Received 492 Likes on 343 Posts

I wonder how many times this subject has been debated (on this forum alone)?
My minimal experience on these, out of the box (Out of the Box) the Batwing fairing offers more protection for the rider (& passenger). I'm sure either model can be tweaked to work for most riders.

Old 05-30-2012, 03:43 PM
bagman1
Elite HDF Member
Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by The Pawnbroker
Let's really get into this....

It's obviously a matter of personal preference in the long run. However, I would like to offer my opinion's and get other people's opinion's of the pro's and con's of each fairing design. I think it would be nice to get opinion's from those people who have ridden both a fair number of miles.

I've put I don't know how many thousands of miles on Batwing bikes starting in '07. Lot's. I've recently put 5,500 miles on my Road Glide.

1) The main feature that everyone states about the Shark Nose is that it's better in the wind. Such as out on the interstate. I have to say that I have found that not to be the case. Maybe it's the type of wind I usually ride in around here. It moves around and comes at you from different angles. I've been caught out in very windy/gusty conditions this spring many times while riding my Road Glide. I felt like I was being moved around quite a bit more than I ever was on my Batwing fairing bikes. I've put some thought into it and am wondering if the larger side profile of the Shark Nose catches more wind? Kind of like a mini barn-door effect? It really seems to push me even though it's attached to the frame. Maybe even more so because it's attached to the frame? In any case, I consider this "myth" busted. In my opinion and experience, the Shark Nose fairing is worse in windy conditions than the Batwing fairing. By the way, I've also never had the sensation that the Batwing fairing was pushing the steering around like some have commented on.

2) The windscreen and fairing in general on the Shark is a lot further away from the rider. I've ridden in the rain a few times on the Road Glide and get much more water on me by far than I did riding behind a Batwing fairing. Both had lowers. With the Batwing, I seem to be able to tuck behind it for more protection during really heavy rain.

3) At first I thought low-speed maneuvering was harder with the Shark. I seemed to be able to make tighter U-turns and was more able to "throw" the Batwing bike around at slow speeds. I'm going to reserve my final judgement on this because I'm getting a little better feel for the Shark. A lot of people make the assumption that because the fairing is attached to the steering on the Batwing, it makes it harder to slow-speed maneuver. I don't find that at all. The Shark fairing sits pretty far out in front and high up. I think it actually increases the center of gravity in such a way as to make it feel more "top heavy".

Of course, my Road Glide is a gorgeous bike and rides and handles fantastic in most conditions. It's a blast to ride. It's just that for me, I'll be going back to a Batwing for my next ride.

Have at it boys...
I completely disagree with everything you stated!
#1 There is no wind pressure on your upper body as the fairing is mounted to the frame. End of of discussion on that theory.
#2 The area behind the windscreen is a dead zone, in fact since it is farther away there is even more dead space to keep the wind out of your face.
#3 It is the same frame as a batwing so low speed maneuvering is exactly the same, if you are focusing on the fairing being way out there you are not properly looking where you want to go. Unless you are driving a conventional Peterbilt through Chinatown, there is no front end overhang factor.

The following users liked this post:
Captain Grego (10-04-2020)
Old 05-30-2012, 03:48 PM
The Pawnbroker
Road Captain
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by jacobharley3
3. Are you telling me that all of moto gp is wrong?? Watch a race. These are the fastest, best handling motorcycles on the planet. And not 1 of the bikes in an entire field, will have a fairing mounted to the handlebars.
I have one of each also. I have a 2004 Electra Glide Classic.

But by the same token you mention above, look at all the Motor Officer's who put their Batwing bikes through very difficult cone courses. Why aren't they on Roadie's?

Old 05-30-2012, 03:49 PM
tj316
Stellar HDF Member
Received 476 Likes on 124 Posts

I agree. It's not the turbulence that I'm talking about. Or the wind. That's all part of riding. I'm talking about being pushed towards another lane of traffic.

Maybe it's all the bridges we have around here. Ton's of creeks, rivers, and of course the Chesapeake Bay. I ride across the Chesapeake Bay bridge very often. On a lot of the bridges, the wind can shift direction constantly. And a few times I really had to pay a lot of attention to keep in my lane. I never had to do that on my Batwing bikes.

tj316 - I have no idea why you took this to a personal level. But maybe you're the one that's full of BS?
I'm not taking it personal , I'm calling it like I see it , in Florida the land is flat so wind can be very severe , I ride across the Sunshine Skyway a very tall bridge and many shorter bridges , I ride on 4 lane roads with with water on both sides and when it's windy water splashes across all 4 lanes from one side to another , so I think I've ridden in wind as well plus I take trips covering 4 states or more in a weeks time , the Batwing will beat you to death in wind unless you ride very slow , the Road Glide cuts through the wind with no problems and I've never been pushed out of my lane , let a Semi pass you on interstate with a batwing and it will move you around , on the Road Glide you don't even notice it , if your bike doesn't handle this way it's either you or something is out of adjustment on your bike

Old 05-30-2012, 03:56 PM
The Pawnbroker
Road Captain
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by bagman1
#1 There is no wind pressure on your upper body as the fairing is mounted to the frame. End of of discussion on that theory.
I don't think it has to do with wind pressure on your upper body. I'm suggesting that because the Shark Nose has a bigger side profile, it tends to catch more wind gusts from the side, and because it's bolted directly to the frame, it pushes the bike around.

Old 05-30-2012, 04:19 PM
bagman1
Elite HDF Member
Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

Its not the wind pressure on your body I speak of but the effort you must use to stay in your lane. For example I run interstate with batwings and non fairing bikes, we have ridden a couple hundred miles in a stretch with 45+ mph head and side winds. At the end of the day I felt like I could keep going and the others crawled off their bikes. Sure I got blown around a little but I didnt have to maintain a death grip on the bars, stayed in my lane all the time. Watching the batwing get blown over the double yellow was making me nervous just watching, I can imagine what went thru their minds.

As someone else mentioned about police bikes with batwings, one reason is they do drop their bikes and more often than you think, and a batwing could sustain more falls than a shark nose without too much damage. Another reason may be tradition and low bid for muni agencies.

Old 05-30-2012, 04:21 PM
rochkes
Elite HDF Member
Received 460 Likes on 211 Posts

I can't really compare the two because the batwing is the only HD fairing I have ever ridden behind, but I have ridden tens of thousands of miles behing frame mounted metric fairings.

I have to say that the wind causes me more handling problems on the batwing than any other frame mounted fairing, but again, it's not a fair comparison because I have no miles on a sharknose.

I will rent a Road Glide and put at least 1,000 miles on it before I buy another batwing. I'd like to know the difference in the ride for myself.

Dennis

Old 05-30-2012, 04:27 PM
beary
Grand HDF Member
Received 282 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by bagman1
#2 The area behind the windscreen is a dead zone, in fact since it is farther away there is even more dead space to keep the wind out of your face.
Well I know this isn't true, I rode with a long bearded RG driver who spent a lot of time pulling his beard out of his eyes because of the up draft on his upper body. I know the batwing has it also, but I almost wonder if it worse on the RG.

As for the dead space, the main reason I didn't choose a RG was because the draft coming off the windshield way up front came right down on the passenger. May be good for the driver, but certainly not the passenger. Still, there is that up draft issue.

Beary

Old 05-30-2012, 04:37 PM
Paul On The Run
Tourer
Received 100 Likes on 58 Posts

well, I rock a sharknose, and my previous experience with a fork mounted fairing was a vtx 1800 that i put close to 25,000 miles like that and I can tell you on that bike I never felt anything that pushed me away. as a matter of fact I would ride with a buddy that has a 2007 Street glide and he would always tells me how in heavy crosswinds he didn't feel safe going over 65mph. well the VTX is gone and I replaced with my Roadie, purely out of I love the looks, but I ride with my buddy and he still complains about it. I guess this isn't really a fair comparison, but I'm assuming something has to do with weight, suspension, tires, etc that contribute to how a moto handles with a fork mounted fairing.

on a side note a buddy with a vtx 1300 with the same fork mounted fairing I had would complain about higher speeds and getting whipped around.

Old 05-30-2012, 04:52 PM
jacobharley3
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have one of each also. I have a 2004 Electra Glide Classic.

But by the same token you mention above, look at all the Motor Officer's who put their Batwing bikes through very difficult cone courses. Why aren't they on Roadie's?

UMMMMM....don't see how that is "by the same token".

Here's the easy answer... Harley doesn't make a Police Road Glide.
But I will still play along.
A departmental Choice is why they are on the bikes that they are on. Harley doesn't make a Police Road Glide, so not really an option for a department. There is also FXDP (Dyna Police), FLHP (Road King Police). Some departments are riding Honda VFR's and some are on Kawasaki's. But all that it mind. I guarantee they'd knock the course on it's *** on a Road Glide. I know I would. I also have a bunch of motorcops as customers that daily ride the Police Road Kings and Electraglide, but who own Road Glides. There's really no debate here. The Road Glide Handles way better. If you are totally in to the way your Harley handles and you want a touring Harley...it's a Road Glide. If you like the look of the Bat Wing more and you don't care quit as much about the handling... your on a FLHsomething

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Shark Nose VS Batwing Fairing