Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Saddle bag latch not staying closed.

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2012, 02:03 PM
blackflame
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Saddle bag latch not staying closed.

Noticed that one of my saddle bags latch is not staying closed, if i close and just hit my bag it pops open?
Steve in Ct

Old 06-03-2012, 02:50 PM
jeeplite
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check to make sure that the latch on the lock is going into the slot that locks the bag.The nut on the back of the lock can come loose and the locking tab won't line up with the locking slot, so the latch won't fully close.

Old 06-03-2012, 02:51 PM
diggerv
Tourer
Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

the canvas that holds the top when open sometime gets in the way when you close it. before you latch it down slide your fingers between the cover and the saddle bag, pushing the canvas out of the way so it doesn't get pinched in between. Hope that helps.

Old 06-03-2012, 02:53 PM
2black1s
Elite HDF Member
Received 167 Likes on 108 Posts

Check the lid retaining strap. I bet it's folded over onto the saddle bag upper edge and getting caught between the bag and the lid.

Same thing happened to me.

If the strap has been folded long enough it will probably have a sharp crease in it. You can remove that crease by taking the strap off and ironing it.

Old 06-03-2012, 03:49 PM
AlanStansbery
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

There's also a spring that wraps around the hinge pin and helps keep the latch closed. The springs break. I believe you need to loosen the canvas and look underneath. Check the spring.

On mine, I bent the hinges a little, and even with the spring broken, the hinge stays shut. I'm not recommending you bend your hinges...but it worked for me. The latches stay closed without being locked...and the springs on mine are broken and have been for some time.

Alan

Old 06-03-2012, 04:21 PM
Texas Fat Boy
Extreme HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by diggerv
the canvas that holds the top when open sometime gets in the way when you close it. before you latch it down slide your fingers between the cover and the saddle bag, pushing the canvas out of the way so it doesn't get pinched in between. Hope that helps.
Probably what he said, just make sure it is folding in over your stuff in the bag.
It will become second nature to you once you start checking it.
It's the most common problem.

Old 06-03-2012, 06:41 PM
tidbit1
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 2black1s
Check the lid retaining strap. I bet it's folded over onto the saddle bag upper edge and getting caught between the bag and the lid.

Same thing happened to me.

If the strap has been folded long enough it will probably have a sharp crease in it. You can remove that crease by taking the strap off and ironing it.
Happened to me and that is what i did with a buddy. We didn't take off the canvas, we just put a short 2x4 under the canvas using it as an ironing board. No problems anymore but still make sure it isn't folded as i close the lid.

Old 06-03-2012, 06:45 PM
09FLHT
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep, same thing happened to me. After a few times pushing the strap in it has quite doing it.

Old 06-03-2012, 09:41 PM
yzf1999
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

bend the cups closed alittle...they pop over the hinges and keep the latch closed..had to do it to mine. The more you bend them the more positive the close on the latch

Old 06-05-2012, 05:29 PM
blackflame
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

It's not the canvas, it looked good and was folding inside the bag. Anyone have a pics of the hinges that you bend? It unlatches real easy too.
Steve in Ct

Quick Reply: Saddle bag latch not staying closed.