Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FLHT rear detachable docking kit-HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2007, 02:19 PM
THABULL
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FLHT rear detachable docking kit-HELP!!

I am getting ready to install my tour-pak with this kit and have a ? The instuction say the rear saddle bag bracket needs to be removed and 2 spacers 1/8 thick need to be installed on the back side then reinstalled. It looks to me this would compromise the alignment of the saddle bag. Can anyone tell me why this is necessary!!

Old 01-09-2007, 02:26 PM
maineultraclassic
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: FLHT rear detachable docking kit-HELP!!

It is needed so when you open the saddlebag, the lid won't hit the rear long bolt for the detachable hardware. Once you install the hardware, you will see what I mean when you put in the saddlebag.

It's not 100% needed if you are going to be very careful when opening the saddlebags.....but you are better of doing it.

Steve

Old 01-09-2007, 02:36 PM
THABULL
Road Master

ORIGINAL: maineultraclassic

It is needed so when you open the saddlebag, the lid won't hit the rear long bolt for the detachable hardware. Once you install the hardware, you will see what I mean when you put in the saddlebag.

It's not 100% needed if you are going to be very careful when opening the saddlebags.....but you are better of doing it.

Steve
Thanks!!

Old 01-09-2007, 02:51 PM
RonH
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Using both spacers made my bag crooked, so I ended up using one spacer on the front and back to get everything lined up correctly, and have plenty of room to open the lid. You kinda have to feel your way through and do what works for your scooter.

Old 01-09-2007, 03:03 PM
THABULL
Road Master

ORIGINAL: RonH

Using both spacers made my bag crooked, so I ended up using one spacer on the front and back to get everything lined up correctly, and have plenty of room to open the lid. You kinda have to feel your way through and do what works for your scooter.
Just by looking at it thats what I thought would happen , you put 1 spacer on the front and rear bracket right?

Old 01-09-2007, 03:13 PM
RonH
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yep - two made the back end stick out and the whole thing was way off, and w/o a spacer the lid would hit, so I tried one in the front and one in the back and it seemed to solve the clearance problem and keep everything square. But try it first by the book and see how it works, cuz your mileage may vary.....

Old 01-09-2007, 04:33 PM
Capt611
5th Gear

Hey All,

I think this is great stuff, except for one thing... How / where do you go to get the parts necessary for this on an Ultra? I am VERY interested in doing this, and have not been able to find anything on it.

Thanks for your help.
Jeffro

Old 01-09-2007, 06:18 PM
maineultraclassic
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: Capt611

Hey All,

I think this is great stuff, except for one thing... How / where do you go to get the parts necessary for this on an Ultra? I am VERY interested in doing this, and have not been able to find anything on it.

Thanks for your help.
Jeffro
Right at your local dealer.

53804-06 - docking hardware - $54.95
53276-04 - 2-up tourpak rack - $169.95

You'll also need a laydown license plate bracket.

After that, it's the wires that are the hold up for most people. You are on your own to make quick disconnects for the antenna wires, the lights & speakers already have quick disconnects from the factory.

Steve

Old 01-09-2007, 08:03 PM
THABULL
Road Master

Hey All,

Thanks for your help.
Jeffro

After that, it's the wires that are the hold up for most people. You are on your own to make quick disconnects for the antenna wires, the lights & speakers already have quick disconnects from the factory.

Steve

Right on with the part #'s needed , but my stock license plate is working fine with everything.

Old 01-09-2007, 08:10 PM
soos
Grand HDF Member
Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Hey All,

Thanks for your help.
Jeffro

Steve

You might also want to consider the front docking kit #53803-06 just in case you may want to use a passenger sissy bar backrest for those times when you really don't want to put the tourpak back on just to do a quick 2 up ride.

Forget your local dealer, use Zanottis or Chicago HD for the hardware. Save yourself some $$$.

Quick Reply: FLHT rear detachable docking kit-HELP!!