Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tested a 2012 Road Glide

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2012, 09:47 AM
beary
Grand HDF Member
Received 282 Likes on 187 Posts
Default Tested a 2012 Road Glide

Hi All

After all the hype from the RG guys, I’ve been considering the idea again. Interest rates are good and maybe something a little different would add to the fun, if more fun could be added. So I took my SG 2 hours up the road to Myers Duren Harley in Tulsa. They had a RG Ultra I could test as long as I wanted and I must say the RG hype, is mostly hype.

PLEASE! I mean not disrespect, the RG is a great ride. I had a lot of fun and I’m still considering one, it just wasn't that different of a ride. I ran it through all the kinds of riding I like to do and it was great, but the turbulent wind test is where I really wanted to compare. We get a lot of trucks and wind gust in Oklahoma, so really I wanted to feel the advantages of the RG in those conditions. Was it really that much better than my batwing SG?

It took a while but I finally found a couple semi-trucks crusing side by side 70mph that I could follow for a few miles and experience the RG handled that all the roadys brag so much about. And just like they said, it did great. I could have ridden behind those trucks, eaten lunch and cut my finger nails all day long. Yep, Great bike.

But it wasn’t all that much different from my SG with a 8 inch recurve windshield. The wind buffet was about the same around my head, so that wasn’t anything that stood out. The real advantage of the RG is the lack of buffet felt in the handle bars. That is a nice advantage, but it’s not enough of a difference to suggest the RG handles better in that situation. My SG with the new frame has never felt unstable behind trucks or crosswinds. Just like the RG, it tracks right along feeling very planted. In fact that is the reason I traded my 02 RKC for the SG. It's true the RG gets that weight off the front forks and that is better, but it's the new frame that makes the big difference. Harley baggers in general just ride great in those situations.

Now I didn’t have a chance to try the handling in the twisties that the roadies also like to brag about, but frankly “twistys” and “Central Oklahoma” aren’t something generally heard in the same sentence, so I wouldn’t know the difference even if I found a twisty near Tulsa. I will just give them that one.

That being said, THE 103 WAS FANTASTIC! I have always been a little disappointed with the 96 engine. I’m a little more aggressive on launches and have to ride the clutch with my 09 SG to keep from stalling. I didn’t have to do that with my 02 RKC, I’d just dumped the clutch and went. And it’s not like my SG is a dog, I had it DYNOed and the tech said the numbers were a little above average. But, I could dump the clutch of the RG all day long and not worry about doing a restart in the middle of an intersection.

So the 103 alone might be a good reason to experience a new RG. And maybe even a new color. I understand the 2013 RG Custom is coming out with Oklahoma State Orange. OK, they didn’t call it that, but change is good for an old man, isn’t it?

Beary

Old 07-30-2012, 10:16 AM
AlphaInfinity
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can say that the bike will lean and take those corners. It all comes down to your preference man. I personally wasn't into the wind moving my bars around and overall I liked the RG custom over the Street Glide. I could of ended up with either bike.

Put some thought into it and go get the bike that works best for you. Nobody can convince you or tell you which bike to buy.

The 103 is really nice. Enjoy the new bike, whichever one you end up with!

Old 07-30-2012, 10:28 AM
tj316
Stellar HDF Member
Received 476 Likes on 124 Posts

had both , prefer the RG , and by the way it is coming out in 2013 in Gator Orange

Old 07-30-2012, 10:36 AM
frozensoul
Road Master

for me it wasnt hype, i rode a 2009 streetglide for 2 years, for me the roadglide custom i have handles better in the wind and i feel like i see my surroundings better on the fugly. now my sg was a very very nice bike its just the rgc works better for for some reason. i will agree it takes a bit more to find the right windshield that works on the roadglide.

Old 07-30-2012, 09:40 PM
Stubborn Irishman
Stage III

I own a 2011 Roadglide and it handles better than any of the touring bikes. The secret to eliminating the buffeting is to install the clip-on plastic wind deflectors on the cross bar between the forks, about a $32 option. After that it is completely gone

Old 07-30-2012, 10:07 PM
ndabunka
Intermediate

Thanks for the write up. Sending it to a friend who is deciding between the 2

Old 07-30-2012, 10:46 PM
Big E1
Tourer

Same old story it's like the hatfields and mcoys. Just kidding there both awesome bikes.

Old 07-30-2012, 11:54 PM
dbell66253
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I've had both the Bat and the Shark, I'll be sticking with the Shark.

Old 07-31-2012, 04:50 AM
OldArmy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tried one out when I bought the SG (2d one). Nice, different, cool but what I couldn't wrap my brain around was in a low speed turn when the wheel is going one way and the fairing another. I have also gotten used to having everything vertical and right in front of me too. Sweet but, not for me.

Old 07-31-2012, 04:54 AM
ctmedic
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have owned a Road King. 2 years later I morphed it into a Street Glide (Fairing, Stereo) and so on. I have admired the looks of the RG and the open area of not feeling right against the controls. I rode one in 2009 as a rental on a trip and again again demo days in 2010. I knew I wanted the RG for my next bike.

THEN BAMM!! 2011 the Ultra version. It was exactly what I wanted for my.... LAST (well maybe) bike.

I now have the 2012 RG ultra and love the ride the looks and the feel of this bike. I know its trully rider preference but the Road Glide has a soul of its own. I do think it rides better on the highway then the batwings, but again thats me. I like the handling and the feel at slow speed turns. It did take me awhile to get used to the fixed fairing and now its just second nature.

I am happy with my desision to get the FUGLY. Again its personal preference and what matters is what ever you ride you enjoy it.

Frank

Quick Reply: Tested a 2012 Road Glide