Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Maybe a dumb question!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2012, 09:31 AM
Skeeter229
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Maybe a dumb question!!!

I have a 2010 Electra Glide Classic and I was wondering if there is a proper way to shut down the engine. The manual says to turn off the engine run switch and then the ignition switch. Does it matter if you shut off the ignition switch first? Does it do any damage if it is turned off before the run switch? I shut down the bike with the ignition switch and someone told me that you can do damage to the electrical system but I don't believe him.

Thanks

Old 08-12-2012, 09:36 AM
carrmat
Road Master
Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Do a search, lots of threads on this and just as many opinions on the topic.

No one ever seems to have a problem with doing it either way. Lots of people never touch the rocker switch and just use the main switch.

Old 08-12-2012, 09:37 AM
stuart1270
Tourer
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

When I picked up my 07 Ultra I was told to turn off using the run switch. No reason to do it any other way.

Old 08-12-2012, 09:40 AM
torinoman
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't think it will do any damage.I think the reason they want you to shut down that way is so hands are on the controls until the engine shuts off.I shut mine off with the ignition switch several times when I wasn't sitting on the bike.when I'm on the bike I use the run/stop button for convenience and safety.

Old 08-12-2012, 09:40 AM
katobird
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Yes,
I use it once in a while just to cycle it and make sure it still works..

Damage...Naaaaaa

Old 08-12-2012, 09:41 AM
bigheadted
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 41 Posts

Why would good old Mother Harley bother to put a shutdown procedure in the manual if that was not the way the system was designed to work? I am certain there are going to hundreds who do not and claim no problems and maybe there really are not any issues with doing it. Do you wanna pay to find out? I like the thought that in a emergency you would be conditioned to use the handlebar switch and not remove your hands from the bars.

Last edited by bigheadted; 08-12-2012 at 09:45 AM. Reason: added to post
Old 08-12-2012, 09:46 AM
dansflhti
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 34 Posts

I think I should get in the habit of using the ignition switch,because a couple of times lately I've shut down with the run switch and left the ignition switch on.My buddies have pointed it out to me,so no dead battery,but its gonna happen.

Old 08-12-2012, 09:46 AM
Wally
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bigheadted
Why would good old Mother Harley bother to put a shutdown procedure in the manual if that was not the way the system was designed to work? I am certain there are going to hundreds who do not and claim no problems and maybe there really are not any issues with doing it. Do you wanna pay to find out?
It's pretty simple actually. The lawyers made them put that in the manual in case some dumbass is too simple minded to realize his bike is in gear when he reaches for the ignition switch with his left hand.
Most people look for the green light , then turn it off with the ignition switch.
the procedure in the manual is about liability, not damaging the bike.

Old 08-12-2012, 09:48 AM
1Canuck
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,252 Likes on 1,439 Posts

As said both methods work and no ill effects reported. I have noticed some cases of problems related to the run switch. none associated to the shut off procedure but using the run constantly may lead to wear of the contacts resulting in run related issues. JMO

Old 08-12-2012, 10:32 AM
bigheadted
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Wally
It's pretty simple actually. The lawyers made them put that in the manual in case some dumbass is too simple minded to realize his bike is in gear when he reaches for the ignition switch with his left hand.
Most people look for the green light , then turn it off with the ignition switch.
the procedure in the manual is about liability, not damaging the bike.
I would be thinking if the stinking bottom feeding lawyers were so concerned about starting the bike in gear they would have safety switches on the clutch and pressure switches on the seat as well as a neutral only start. Not buying that one.

Quick Reply: Maybe a dumb question!!!