Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road King fender trim install...

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2013, 12:37 PM
Hotrodz_n_Harleyz
Road Captain
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Road King fender trim install...

My road king has the custom fenders that are clean with no trim. I decided i wanted to dress them up some so i bought the harley fender tips for the front and rear fenders and the chrome side rails for the front fender. My issue is, the instruction simply say to take the existing trim off, line up the new stuff with the existing holes and screw it on... ok fine, but i have no existing stuff, and no existing holes in my fenders. So the question is, you guys have any suggestions for a fairly accurate way to mark where i need to drill the holes for this stuff? measuring on a curved surface, such as a fender, is a complete pain in the ***... i was thinking maybe some fingernail polish on the screw holes in the trim peices and push em on there to mark it or somethin? i'd like to hear how someone else has done this. Thanks.

Old 01-24-2013, 12:57 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts

Use some masking tape or parcel tape and a marker pen for the fender tip. My bare fender is away for painting, otherwise I could measure where the holes are! I haven't taken my chrome side trim kit out of the wrapping yet, but I suspect you will find the location of the holes is more flexible. Tape and pen will help you there as well. I suggest you install the tip first, before offering up the trim strips.

Old 01-24-2013, 01:11 PM
RaceFace
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

If at all possible, see if you can use another fender that already has the holes in it for measurements. I think I still have my old front fender off my RKC around somewhere. I may be able to help.

Old 01-24-2013, 01:18 PM
Hotrodz_n_Harleyz
Road Captain
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

It sure would be nice if harley would take into consideration the possibility that someone may add this stuff to fenders that never had it and throw some measurements into the damn instructions. heh. Thanks guys for the help... the tape idea is great. Actually if i use a couple layers of tape for the tips so it's a bit soft, i can likely get the tip where it needs to be and press on it hard and the mounting holes should leave indentations in the tape. The front fender side trim uses t-bolts, so i imagine they're a bit more forgiving. Looks like if i drill maybe an eigth of an inch up from the bottom on the of the fender side there'll likely be enough play to move it around where it needs to be and tighten it down.