Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front Engine Mount Inspection?

Old 01-25-2013, 10:36 AM
The Q
Road Warrior
Received 57 Likes on 46 Posts
Default Front Engine Mount Inspection?

I was looking through the Group Buy True-Track thread and decided to give the True-Track a look. While looking at their product for my '08 Street Glide I read the following:

NOTE:
Check the front motor mount for failure. It fails because the rear swing arm pivot is not anchored horizontally and is split on the bottom. If the front motor mount plate is sitting on the rubber and there is no space between the rubber and the motor mount plate, it has failed. The front rubber mount also fails when oil runs on the mount when changing the oil filter! The mount will continue to fail if the rear is not stabilized!

I went out and looked at my front mount, and sure enough it "looks" like it has failed according to the True-Track note.

I got out my handy Harley Service Manual and there is nothing I can find about inspection other than torque specs in the Maintenance section.

I have a Progressive Suspension Touring Link installed. Recently I have begun to notice a little weave or wobble when changing lanes at highway speeds and encountering uneven pavement or tar snakes.

Could a failed front motor mount cause these symptoms? I have Dunlop Elite III tires that I keep at the recommended pressures. The front end is equipped with Progressive Monotubes.

Since the Service Manual really doesn't seem to address Engine Mount failure I'm looking for a little advice.

Old 01-25-2013, 10:46 AM
DHubbs
Road Warrior
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Interesting,,, subscribed

Old 01-25-2013, 11:12 AM
HD Pilot
Elite HDF Member
Received 55 Likes on 47 Posts

I have a Dyna but will be interested in this too. I read a long thread about shimming the front engine mount and someone there tried to explain what to look for if you have a failure, but I still did not quite get it.

I am one of the committed on the True-Track group buy, I get the wobbles on all higher speed hard turns and the logic behind True-Track makes complete sense to me.

Old 01-25-2013, 11:43 AM
The Q
Road Warrior

Just watched the Glide-Pro front motor mount install video. Needless to say, when he was done installing the mount it too sat on the isolator (aka rubber).

All the video did was add more to the question than answer it.

Old 01-25-2013, 12:21 PM
Puttnutt24
Road Warrior
Received 209 Likes on 116 Posts

Good thread..
Whats a good replacement for the front motor mount? Thanks

Old 01-25-2013, 12:29 PM
fabrik8r
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Puttnutt24
Good thread..
Sta-Bo or Glide-Pro front motor mount, both have a "floating core" design that allow the motor to vibrate freely without translating a lot to the chassis. Sta-Bo is a bit cheaper I believe, but both will perform about the same. Excellent upgrade! Probably the last front motor mount you will buy.

Last edited by fabrik8r; 01-25-2013 at 12:37 PM.
Old 01-25-2013, 12:36 PM
The Q
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Puttnutt24
Good thread..
That's a loaded question. I'm guessing the opinions will very, but I'm leaning towards the Glide-Pro if I end up changing out mounts. I don't have any real rhyme nor reason to choose the Glide-Pro over any other brand other than liking the thought of his design (compound and larger mount bolt).

However, I'd still like to know how to "properly" inspect a front mount for failure. True-Track's description could seem to fit all bikes after looking at the Glide-Pro video.

Old 01-25-2013, 01:31 PM
The Q
Road Warrior

Ok, found two pictures I would say definitely show a failed motor mount. Fortunately this IS NOT how mine looks.

Attached Thumbnails Front Engine Mount Inspection?-onbike2.jpg   Front Engine Mount Inspection?-onbike1.jpg  
Old 01-25-2013, 02:43 PM
fabrik8r
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

That's an extreme example. The mount can be toast and still look fine on the outside, as installed. You need to remove it and inspect for torn rubber around the moulded in steel insert.