Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help me choose my mini apes

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2013, 09:09 AM
BigGelvis
Club Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Help me choose my mini apes

I was getting ready to pull the trigger on some Mini Ape hangers for my 2012 FLHTK.
While I think I know what I want, the LA Choppers Prime Apes, I want to see what others have or are looking at doing to their bagger as far as Ape hangers go.

The main reason I am going with Apes is for comfort believe it or not. Plus, I think they look good on the Batwing bikes as long as they aren't too tall.

The LA Choppers Prime Apes are 13" rise bars and 1-1/4" diameter. I am 6' 1" and the stock bars such as far as possition and comfort goes. I thing 14" is as tall as I want to go and no shorter than 10"

I also looked at Yaffe apes and HCC Apes but so far the LA chopper apes looked the best to me from the limited pictures I could find of them on batwing fairing bikes.

I really don't want to spend any more than around $300 for bars and the LA Apes can be had for $270 and the Yaffe's are around $350 or so.

I really like the look of the "Z" type bends on these bars and will only concider bars of this type.

I would like opinions, pro's & Con's and what you either already have as far as Apes go or what you are wanting.
If you went with Mini Apes, what bars would you choose and why?

Thanks

Old 03-03-2013, 09:41 AM
g-rat
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I run w/ prime apes nothing bad to say love them! There about 250 threw handle bar louie shipped 1 thing I did before running internal wiring was made the wiring holes on the outside bigger w/ a die grinder to help all that wiring come threw easier good luck ya wont be disappointed and there cheeper than yaffes and you wont have to wait to get them

Old 03-03-2013, 12:19 PM
MtnMan011
Stage I

I am conntemplating doing the mini apes as well, please post pics when done as I am not ready to pull the trigger just yet. Will be interesting to see what you do and how it looks.

Old 03-04-2013, 10:28 AM
BigGelvis
Club Member

Ok so I decided on the LA Chopper Prime apes 13"

Does anyone know where I can find a STERLING CHROMITE II kit with all the correct length cables for my application?I went to their site and looks like I have to order them in whatever length I need.
Anyone with 13" Apes know what the added length is for a 2012 FLHTK with ABS and 13" Apes?

Old 06-11-2013, 11:32 AM
Pete6114
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BigGelvis
Ok so I decided on the LA Chopper Prime apes 13"

Does anyone know where I can find a STERLING CHROMITE II kit with all the correct length cables for my application?I went to their site and looks like I have to order them in whatever length I need.
Anyone with 13" Apes know what the added length is for a 2012 FLHTK with ABS and 13" Apes?
Gonna wake this thread back up!
Did you get the bars installed? I'd like to see some pics, since i'm the same height as you are and like to know more about them, as far as comfort and installation on your 2012 flhtk.

Old 06-11-2013, 12:37 PM
instag8tr
Cruiser

I have my 10's on. I will try to post pictures tonight .

Old 06-11-2013, 01:20 PM
BigGelvis
Club Member

Originally Posted by Pete6114
Gonna wake this thread back up!
Did you get the bars installed? I'd like to see some pics, since i'm the same height as you are and like to know more about them, as far as comfort and installation on your 2012 flhtk.
Yes I got them installed.
In the end, I decided to go with all new chrome controls, switches, grips and bars.
I did the LA Chopper Prime Ares 13" and I went with the Sterling cables.

I ordered them +8" over OEM length. I could have gotten away with shorter but it doesn't hurt to go a bit longer. Plus if I decide to go with taller bars, I won't have to change cables again.

As far as comfort goes? This is the best thing I have done to my bike! It's one of those things where looking back, you don't know how you ever lived without it! Much more comfortable now with my arms closer to level with my shoulders. No more lower back problems and no more "tennis elbow" on all day rides.

Here are pictures of the finished product. The mirrors you see were only on there for a week and I changed them out for some that are a little bigger.

Last edited by BigGelvis; 06-11-2013 at 01:24 PM.
Old 06-11-2013, 02:07 PM
Pete6114
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I likes! Did you loose the heated grips and did you install it yourself? What did it set you back for everything?
I got rid of the original mirrors and installed the fairing mounted, which will be a problem. Have to figure out what to do with the holes in the fairing before i do anything.

Old 06-11-2013, 02:10 PM
slammed05fatty
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

looks good, whats the mount your usuing for your zune?

Old 06-11-2013, 03:59 PM
BigGelvis
Club Member

Originally Posted by Pete6114
I likes! Did you loose the heated grips and did you install it yourself? What did it set you back for everything?
I got rid of the original mirrors and installed the fairing mounted, which will be a problem. Have to figure out what to do with the holes in the fairing before i do anything.
As much of a PITA pulling and splicing wires are, I decided to get rid of the heated grips. I don't use them here in Texas anyway.
And I don't have an answer for the total cost of everything. I did the install my self and took my time over several days.
The parts were purchased one by one as I decided what I wanted along the way.
If I had to guess at it, I would say it cost me somewhere around $1000 for all the parts.

Quick Reply: Help me choose my mini apes