Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LED turning lamps (pros and cons)

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2005, 07:22 PM
screamn_eagle
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LED turning lamps (pros and cons)

hey guys,

i am thinking of getting the led front and rear turning lamps. does any one have them on their bike and will they just plug into my existing light sockets? is there a greater apm draw...are they as visible as the regular amber bulbs, and does anyone know how much they cost and how long they last

thanks
scott

Old 08-16-2005, 08:09 PM
AceArt
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: LED turning lamps (pros and cons)

I have no first hand experience but have been looking into similar things. If you visit "Custin Dynamics" you will find some of the answers to your questions. You'll see them just to the right of the posts and can click there. Keep us posted as to what you decide. Art

Old 08-16-2005, 08:13 PM
HDF Tech
Banned
Received 148 Likes on 41 Posts

I believe one of the drawbacks is that they are not as visible from an angle.

Old 08-16-2005, 08:44 PM
pointswhat
Road Captain

I had put the replacement led bulbs in on my soft tail and were not impressed with them but they are probably better ones out there now. The only problems I had though was that the resistance acros them is alot lower than the filament bulbs, therefore the electrical system was indicating to me that they were burnt out did the quick flash of the indicator. Also my security system didn't seem to like them. This all could possibly be rectified with a load stabilizer. So if you decide to go that route realize it may cost you more than just the bulbs.

Point

Old 08-16-2005, 09:19 PM
screamn_eagle
Outstanding HDF Member

points,
what is aload stabalizer and where would it go on my bike

Old 08-16-2005, 09:50 PM
wild1
Cruiser

As was mentioned they are not as visible in most directions, especially during the day. At night most leds are pretty bright. They draw less amperage so you need to add more resistance to the circuit. The load equalizer is easy to add on, but I would stay with the stock set up you have.

Old 08-16-2005, 10:54 PM
Terry TK
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 154 Likes on 52 Posts

Scott,

If you are going to do it I would put on the taillight too. I have the Kuryakyn Panacea Deluxe Taillight w/Blue Dot and Front and Rear Turn Signals. After reading the above posts I went outside and checked every angle I could and could not see any problems with visibility. Kuryakyn makes a really good set. Call M&M Cycle and ask them what I bought (Terry Tillis). It's all plug and play and the load stabilizer comes with the taillight. The load stabilizer/control unit is one piece and plugs into your harness under your seat. The turn signals just plug into your old light sockets. Less than 30 minutes to install.

The Kuryakyns w/Taillight turn your turnsignals into running lights. The brake lights flash (along with the turnsignals/running lights) 3 or 4 times then stay on bright constant. The taillight has turn signal arrows buildt into it that flash along with your regular turnsignals.

Total cost under $300 shipped from M&M
List-$359.00

If you have any other questions send me an IM

Terry

Old 08-18-2005, 05:25 AM
Choke03RKC1
Advanced

Ditto to Terryt1955

Have the complete Kuryakyn Panacea Blue Dot set-up on my FLHRCI.......installed them after a taillight bulb went out at night and folks were constantly running up my back before they noticed me.........day or night, these rascals are VISIBLE compared to stock.......get lots of comments about how bright and easy they are to spot from people I ride with. Plug and Play with excellent customer service was my experience.

Choke

Old 08-19-2005, 04:52 PM
screamn_eagle
Outstanding HDF Member

thanks for all the input... i will call m&m when i can afford another 300..lol..i didnt think it was that expensive...thanks terry

Old 08-19-2005, 06:04 PM
TheRealCopey
Advanced

IMHO, they are like anything else. There are good quality led lights out there, and they are MUCH brighter than filament bulbs (The good lights at least). The thing to look for is the amount of leds used in each light. There are some cheap lights out there that dont use alot of leds. Ive seen a few out here with the kits all around and they are substantially brighter. Yes, you need the load balancers, but from what I've seen they are simple to install. If brighter lights that will last longer are what you are looking for, LEDS are a good investment. They also add a nice look to the bike at night.