Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Checking for exhaust leak?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2013, 08:06 PM
Blitzburgh
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Checking for exhaust leak?

How do you check for an exhaust leak? I installed the jackpot 2-1-2 headers and had a tough time with the heads. The stock headers are tapered and fit in the seal really easy, the jackpots are not.

I think i got them on good but just want to make sure. What is the best way to check?

Old 03-31-2013, 08:08 PM
jus2anoyu
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Decel pop is usually the first indication of an exhaust leak. Other than that, you should be able to hear the leak, sometimes it imitates a lifter tick. Try a piece of vacuum hose, one end up to your ear, the other near the headpipe at the head

Old 03-31-2013, 08:14 PM
GaugeMods
Former Sponsor
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You can use a candle or lighter. If the fame flickers or goes out it could be suspect to a leak.

Old 03-31-2013, 08:31 PM
Lowcountry Joe
Elite HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 45 Posts

Cigar smoke. Works every time.

Old 03-31-2013, 08:46 PM
MareRider
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Try covering the end of or stuffing a rag into the muffler/pipe while idling. You ought to be able to hear a hissing noise from any leaks.
The last pipes I replaced I tightened the connections, rode it to get hot, let it cool & re-tightened all the connections/clamps again.

Old 03-31-2013, 08:54 PM
2black1s
Elite HDF Member
Received 167 Likes on 108 Posts

Personally I've never checked with any of the smoke or flame methods although they sound reasonable and I would try if I felt it was necessary. Typically I'll just listen. Also when it's cold and you first start it up you can put your hand up near the suspect joints and see if you feel anything. After that just ride it a while and inspect all the joints for a soot trail. If it's leaking, you'll see it eventually.

Old 04-01-2013, 06:21 AM
mrfikser
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

what I have done is to take a paper towel and roll it to look like a long cigar, nice and tight...next light one end and let it burn for a bit and then blow it out so that there are still red hots but no flame...there will be lots of smoke..now hold the smoldering part near all the suspect joints and you will see the smoke blow away if there is a leak, and if it is bad you might even see the paper burst back into flames...keep some water near by just in case it gets out of hand...

Old 04-01-2013, 06:27 AM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,063 Likes on 2,501 Posts

Incense stick.

Old 03-31-2014, 09:58 AM
dlpuette
Cruiser
Received 38 Likes on 20 Posts

Just reviving this old thread.. Has anyone come up with any other good ways to detect exhaust leaks? I'm getting a bit of decel pop and am pretty sure I have a leak somewhere. I reused my exhaust gaskets on my header/muffler change, as well as the other clamps. My guess is I have multiple possible places for a small leak. I'm figuring I really need to just pull it all apart and reassemble with new clamps & gaskets, but it'd be nice to see where the problem is.

Old 03-31-2014, 11:15 AM
CyGlide
Road Captain
Received 77 Likes on 59 Posts

I've used the smoke method before. Works pretty good and you can keep your hand far enough away from the pipes so to not get burnt.

Quick Reply: Checking for exhaust leak?