Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best overall performance cams?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2013, 11:08 PM
chgofirefighter
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Best overall performance cams?

With the endless list of cams, its hard to pick one which will give you an all around best performance. S&S, Andrews, SE, Woods etc etc. I am learning that you have to pick what works best for your desire driving style, torque, midrange, horsepower cams, etc.

Was gonna go and do a big bore kit but after careful thinking, the best bang for the buck would be to do cams first then, maybe, later down the road upgrade if needed. I have an 11 Street Glide 103.. Any good recommendations for a good overall cam?

Sorry to the reduntant Cams inquiry but you know how us Harley guys could be bipolar sometimes

Old 04-13-2013, 11:26 PM
doc ock
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For touring I would go with Woods or Andrews. For top end HP try Zippers. Depends on how you ride. You have a big bore, cams and some head work will go a long ways. I did a Zippers 557 cam and head work and have almost as much torque as your stock 103. I stayed at 88".

Last edited by doc ock; 04-13-2013 at 11:28 PM.
Old 04-13-2013, 11:32 PM
scotracy
Road Captain

My Indy would say Andrews 54. Best overall Cam for the 103 engine. He also said the Andrews 57 if you do not plan to do anymore engine work. 54 the best for touring bikes.

Old 04-14-2013, 12:33 AM
ke5rbd
Road Warrior
Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

The TW 222 seems to work real well and is easy to tune even with true duals. The TW 555 are easy to tune with 2-1-2 and a little more difficult with true duals or 2-1. The TW 777 are easy with 2-1-2 and can be difficult with true duals or 2-1 unless you get it dynoed or have a good program. A lot of the talk about no torque is not necessarily true if you have the right tune. Any of the cams listed will be ahead of the stock and 255's by 2700 rpms with the right tune. If you want stump pulling power change the front pulley to a 30 tooth. It will make a world of difference. 6th gear will be useful down to 45 mph if you want with the cams. I am sure the Andrews 54 and S&S 570 and others will work also. The SE 259's aren't bad either. All the SE cams seem to have late timing on the Exhaust. I would stay on or below .575 lift and on or below 242 duration and below 105 center line. Just chose one that you can get a good tune for if you aren't going to dyno. You can always get a power package from someone like Fuel Moto which will have matched exhaust system, cam, PV tuner and program, and air cleaner. You will also get technical support. Cams like the TW 555 or 777 or 888 will stay with you on future mods also.

Old 04-14-2013, 12:45 AM
chgofirefighter
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by ke5rbd
The TW 222 seems to work real well and is easy to tune even with true duals. The TW 555 are easy to tune with 2-1-2 and a little more difficult with true duals or 2-1. The TW 777 are easy with 2-1-2 and can be difficult with true duals or 2-1 unless you get it dynoed or have a good program. A lot of the talk about no torque is not necessarily true if you have the right tune. Any of the cams listed will be ahead of the stock and 255's by 2700 rpms with the right tune. If you want stump pulling power change the front pulley to a 30 tooth. It will make a world of difference. 6th gear will be useful down to 45 mph if you want with the cams. I am sure the Andrews 54 and S&S 570 and others will work also. The SE 259's aren't bad either. All the SE cams seem to have late timing on the Exhaust. I would stay on or below .575 lift and on or below 242 duration and below 105 center line. Just chose one that you can get a good tune for if you aren't going to dyno. You can always get a power package from someone like Fuel Moto which will have matched exhaust system, cam, PV tuner and program, and air cleaner. You will also get technical support. Cams like the TW 555 or 777 or 888 will stay with you on future mods also.
Forgot to mention that I have a V&H Pro Pipe 2 into 1 and a Roland Sands intake and a PC5.. Just need the right cam to get this bike to run better without spending an arm and a leg...

Old 04-14-2013, 06:46 AM
jack6hd
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Cam threads usually cause an avalanche of info. Just try to decide. Best chance is to talk to some indy's and factor in your riding style.

Old 04-14-2013, 08:20 AM
user_1534GD
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by chgofirefighter
With the endless list of cams, its hard to pick one which will give you an all around best performance. S&S, Andrews, SE, Woods etc etc. I am learning that you have to pick what works best for your desire driving style, torque, midrange, horsepower cams, etc.

Was gonna go and do a big bore kit but after careful thinking, the best bang for the buck would be to do cams first then, maybe, later down the road upgrade if needed. I have an 11 Street Glide 103.. Any good recommendations for a good overall cam?

Sorry to the reduntant Cams inquiry but you know how us Harley guys could be bipolar sometimes
I am going with Andrews cams... Already have the TTS MasterTune system and Stage 1...

Old 04-14-2013, 08:37 AM
ColoSpgsMark
Road Captain

Going with just a brand name is of less importance than the model of cam the manufacturer offers. As others have said, if someone else is doing the tuning, let them help guide you as the tune will make the difference.

Old 04-14-2013, 08:49 AM
DTTJGlide
Stellar HDF Member
Received 236 Likes on 145 Posts

Andrews 54s or 57s are both very good, I'm running the 54s with a .030 head gasket & am very pleased with the performance. The 57s are a better choice jf that's all you're going to do, the 54s need a little more compression.

Old 04-14-2013, 08:53 AM
stupid_rope
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

jesus here we go............

OP there are 10 million cam threads on this forum plus you can google it.

Quick Reply: Best overall performance cams?