Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Luckiest Flat Tire

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2007, 04:38 PM
harleyplay
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Luckiest Flat Tire

I'm still pretty new my bike so I thought I'd take advantage of the 60 - 70 deg weather here for an overnight trip. I mapped out a 300 mile one way trip through the Texas hill country and then south to the boarder at Del Rio for the night. The trip was awesome with perfect weather and beautiful scenery. I made a loop back and got back into Austin late afternoon.

A perfect trip ... well almost. About a half mile from my house, the bike started handling a little funny. Then on my street, it was all over the map at 15 mph. When I pulled into my driveway, I found my rear tire about half flat and by the time I got the garage door open, it was all the way flat.

So my question is: Am Ilucky for having an incredible 600 mile trip and then picking up a nail in the last half mile? BTW, I'm on a RKC and a flat out where I was riding would have been a real problem.

Old 02-20-2007, 05:07 PM
gunrunner
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Luckiest Flat Tire

A problem if you have wire spoke wheels for sure. Alloys another story, a plug kit and 12 volt compressor and your back on the road in 10 minutes.

Old 02-20-2007, 05:46 PM
69z28
Road Warrior

I hadit happen to me on my old shovelhead,A block a way from the house.It'll get your attention quick!

Old 02-20-2007, 06:07 PM
Neckball
Stellar HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Alloys another story, a plug kit and 12 volt compressor and your back on the road in 10 minutes.
And if he wasn't carrying these items, the type of wheel really deosn't matter.

Old 02-20-2007, 06:53 PM
MACK
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Real lucky. If you are still eligible get the harley extended warranty with tire and wheel package. i had a flat one sunday. nothing open. got towed to a hotel where my wife and I spent the night ,went through 6 meals another tow to the dealer and a new tire. new tire ,6 meals,hotel room 2 tows and labor came to over 600.00. harley paid it all. no deductable on tire package.

Old 02-20-2007, 07:04 PM
bonzo2
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

WOW lucky the last block didn't do you in or that it wasn't a blow out

Old 02-23-2007, 10:13 PM
im
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 795 Likes on 606 Posts

we should all carry a 12 volt air pump,tire gauge and basic tools..if you have spokes a bottle of the green slime for tube tires and an air pump will get out going for a while...if running regular wheels use a plug kit....it really blows to walk up to your bike after a nice meal and see the tire flat..also the air pump will make you the nice guy when you come across a stranded biker...please stop and lend them a hand..do not just wave..

Old 02-23-2007, 10:16 PM
Neggy ZRXOA 5248
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 816 Likes on 462 Posts

my bike has "run flats" from the factory

Old 02-23-2007, 10:31 PM
harley0711
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 94 Likes on 80 Posts

ORIGINAL: MACK

Real lucky. If you are still eligible get the harley extended warranty with tire and wheel package. i had a flat one sunday. nothing open. got towed to a hotel where my wife and I spent the night ,went through 6 meals another tow to the dealer and a new tire. new tire ,6 meals,hotel room 2 tows and labor came to over 600.00. harley paid it all. no deductable on tire package.
I had the same thing happen on Highway 1 in Ca - HD was great - sure glad I was talked into that extra tire/wheel warr.

Now I run Ride-on Tire sealent

Do a search on either my screen name or ride-on

This is great stuff - I am complety sold on it - it is now in my bike and in my 66 vette - It really is as good as it sounds.. Works best on solid wheels but will work on tube tiresl

http://www.ride-on.com/prod_mot.asp
http://www.ride-on.com/test_motorcycle.asp

Old 02-23-2007, 10:45 PM
06POLICE
Advanced

mmmm...i ride a 2006 road king police (new) abs and run flat tires...no need for all the other stuff..

Quick Reply: Luckiest Flat Tire