Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Broken Antenna Wire

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2013, 08:20 PM
bullitt
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Broken Antenna Wire

Well I was wrapping up the installation of my new Roadtech Zumo 660 GPS on my '07 Ultra when I noticed the radio antenna wire was kinked 90 degrees. The radio was working so I was tempted to leave it but since the front fairing was off, decided to cut it and splice it. Not an easy job since the center wire is a single thin strand. Went to Radio Shack and bought 2 RG-58 Crimp-on SMA straight male plugs and an SMA female to SMA female coupler. Had to use a heat gun to get the male plugs under the shield wire. Once I warmed up the outer cover, the plug slid into place and the crimp-on slid back over. Not sure all that makes sense without pics but too late for that. The hard part was inserting the center wire into the center male plug pin and soldering it in place. Had to have a second set of hands to hold the soldering gun while I positioned the center wire and the pin. Connected everything up, re-routed the cable to relieve the tension that caused the kink in the first place and taped everything up to prevent moisture. Not a great way to spend 2 hours (including running to Radio Shack) but I wouldn't have felt right buttoning everything back up knowing that I had a broken wire lurking inside my fairing.

Oh, and the GPS works great.