Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adding satellite radio

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2011, 12:17 AM
pargenz
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Adding satellite radio

I have Sirius in my truck and would like to add satellite radio to the scoot.

I just can't bring myself to spring 5 bills for the H-D XM unit. I know it's an integrated solution, and that would be cool. But 5 benjamins cool?

Looking for alternatives, I came across an XM Snap sat radio (model XSN1V1) that retails for $60. This unit plugs into a 12-volt accessory socket for juice and uses the aux port to play through the head unit.

My Road Glide Ultra has a 12-volt socket on the left side of the fairing.

Anyone using one of these units on their scoot?

Old 05-24-2011, 04:49 AM
glide2005
Supporter
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I have Sirius on my bike and have for years. I have the 60 $ model from Walmart. Just break the plug apart and connect the hot and ground wires to 12v. It has to run through the plug because the unit is 5 volts. You'll have to solder the two ground wires together and make a new hot lead in the positive location from the plug. You'll know what I'm talking about when the plug is apart. Sirius or XM, either one, the plugs are going to be the same. Or just plug the into the cig. plug it doesn't enterfer with the handle bars when turning. I have my antenna double stick taped to the small flat spot above the right speaker on the outside of the fairing. I tried the top of my radio on the insde, but kept looseing reception.

Old 05-24-2011, 04:53 AM
marvincbr
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Keep an eye on e-bay for the H-D parts. I got the XM module for much less than the 500 Harley wants for it, then got the connect harness from my local dealer. I am very happy with the clean set up and being able to use all the handle bar controls.

Old 05-24-2011, 05:11 AM
Oiltrash
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hook up is simple. I run the Sirius and hooked up same on friends bike. All it takes is to visit the RAM mount site, there are many other sites that carry mounting options for these radios for scooters. there are motorcycle accessories as in the small antenna with 6 inch cable,that also mounts on the radio mount, hot wire that wires direct to a hot wire on your bike and an direct wire that goes between the antenna plug in and the radio female plug. Very easy and quick hook-up. You can check out TSS Radio, GPS city, Discount Cell and XM Fan Store to mention a few.

Old 05-24-2011, 06:06 AM
ltmdl90
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Old 05-24-2011, 06:25 AM
dougk33
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use the XM Onyx from my wifes car, bought another car kit and attached to inside my tour pak, stays dry and can't change the channels until stop someplace but usually only listen to one or two stations anyway.

Old 05-24-2011, 06:34 AM
kjkustoms
Road Captain

I tried the XM Snap on my 08 FLHX, the power adapter that plugs into the cig. lighter stuck out too far and hits the tank when I turn the front wheel to full left.

Old 05-24-2011, 06:46 AM
HDV-GLIDE
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by dougk33
I use the XM Onyx from my wifes car, bought another car kit and attached to inside my tour pak, stays dry and can't change the channels until stop someplace but usually only listen to one or two stations anyway.
I have my Sirius Stratus 6 mounted inside my left saddlebag (w/velcro) with quick disconnect cables for the power and AUX cable coming from the radio. I have the antenna mounted between my Mustang bag lid cover and the saddlebag. Out of site and unless I'm under a heavy tree line, reception is good. I also only listen to one channel, so changing channels while moving is a non issue.

Old 05-24-2011, 07:00 AM
shortride
Ultimate HDF Member

I've always been plagued with sticking to the OEM equipment mentality. I also have Sirius in my 2010 F150 and would have liked to had Sirius on the Harley as well but I went ahead and bought the XM module against my better judgment. I thought since XM and Sirius had merged I would only have one bill but that proved not to be true. They have separate billing. If I had it to do over again I would have bought a Sirius unit.

Old 05-24-2011, 07:03 AM
TMART
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the roadtech from Harley,mounts to handlebars,comes with all the brackets,wiring
etc.It is 249.00 at HD,I bought mine from a HD dealer on ebay for 229.00.This thing works great!!!

Quick Reply: Adding satellite radio