Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cat advice?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2013, 02:13 AM
ridedaddy
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Cat advice?

Ok first off I know this has been beat to death, but a lot of the info is old or goes both ways. I just got a 2013 SG and NEED exhaust very soon! It currently sounds like a Honda Davidson. I'm still up in the air on slip ons becouse I haven't heard a lot of systems for myself but my real question is concerning removing the cat. It seems that a lot of people have done this and are very happy with the results they have gotten. My concerns go alittle deeper than that. The talk of the o2 sensers not reading properly and leaning the bike out is more more what I'm concerned with. Is this fact or fiction? It's tempting to save the $ and cut open my pipe as I have a friend who could weld it up no problem. I would like to save the money of a new header but not if it is going to cause problems with fuel mapping.

Last edited by ridedaddy; 05-09-2013 at 02:21 AM.
Old 05-09-2013, 02:30 AM
my67pnycar
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Get rid of it!! My advise is to get one from fleabay, round 100 or so, depends on the deal, that is delivered to your door. Make sure it has the window method used to remove cat (wont shorten length of pipe) then you will have your stock pipe that you can always put back on if needed. I have been here since Oct 10 (name change, long story) since I got my bike. I have not seen definite proof that there is cross talk between the O2 sensors after cat removal, some say its good, some say they cross talk, TONS say bike runs great, no issues. Thats what I have done and I will install it after this deployment and make my own educated decision,lol. There are limitless choices on slip ons out there from cheap (uncorked stock) to expensive, depends on your budget. I do also suggest investing in a set of xied's, it will help with the factory lean and make your bike happy even if you do nothing else to it. Good luck with whatever choice you make in your quest to make it yours. Stay safe!!

Old 05-09-2013, 04:21 AM
billbuzz
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Get rid of cat!!!

I have a 13 S.G. also. Paid $135.00 for a catless head pipe on e-bay. Went with Rush Big Louie 4 inch slip ons and put on a Performance Machine high flow air cleaner. Installed everything myself then took it to my dealer and bought the Screamin Eagle tuner and had them do the download to make sure everything was right with it not being too lean. The bike looks,sounds and runs better then stock. A little pricy but if your gonna do it---do it right

Old 05-09-2013, 06:43 AM
electricstart
Road Warrior
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I also have a 13 ,all that crap ( exhaust,air cleaner ) must go and go soon it is choking the engine. Also get a good tune . The motor will love you. My bike sounds terrible too.

Old 05-09-2013, 07:11 AM
Pine Tree

Received 1,964 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by ridedaddy
...I'm still up in the air on slip ons becouse I haven't heard a lot of systems for myself...
If you look at the various classifieds, you'll notice lots of slip-on's for sale. There's a reason for that...most THINK they'll just love the sound with a certain recommended brand and find out they don't.

Spend some more time and made as informed decision as you can.

Originally Posted by ridedaddy
...The talk of the o2 sensers not reading properly and leaning the bike out is more more what I'm concerned with. Is this fact or fiction? It's tempting to save the $ and cut open my pipe as I have a friend who could weld it up no problem. I would like to save the money of a new header but not if it is going to cause problems with fuel mapping.
As for the cat...there is documentation (dyno) that show some difference with respect to the o2 sensor issue. I've seen a couple dynos that do show some "crosstalk" when o2 sensor data is collected.

How much you'll experience with just hacking out the cat is to be determined.

And no, I do not have the dyno sheets to show...this was observed at a dyno shop.

It's you bike, do as you see fit.

Old 05-09-2013, 07:18 AM
09 YELLOWBIRD
Grand HDF Member
Received 820 Likes on 527 Posts

Do it right the first time and go with either Fuel Moto or Fullsac and get the whole set up from either.

Makes a hugh difference and will make your scoot sound like a real Harley!

Good Luck,

YB

Old 05-09-2013, 07:25 AM
TKDKurt
Elite HDF Member
Received 126 Likes on 88 Posts

Before you do it, I suggest you ask yourself "Why?" I have been reading all the threads on this issue for years and have come to the conclusion that no one can show that it accomplishes anything meaningful and that it can, in fact, cause problems, including decal popping and backfires and can screw up how your ECM operates.

This is a LONG thread, but I suggest you read all of it. You will get both sides of the issue in detail. You can decide for yourself which side you think is more credible. https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...eal-facts.html

In another, more recent thread, I challenged the posters to provide real evidence that gutting the cat accomplishes anything and was met with deafening silence. (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...t-removal.html ) All you ever hear is anecdotal stuff--"I did it to mine, and I am happy." The supposed improvements are all just seat of the pants, never quantified. The word that is always used is that the difference is "noticeable." I'm convince that is because people are trying to notice something. If it actually did what people say it does, someone would have posted actual proof in the form of dyno runs, temperature measurements or something years ago. You won't find ANY.

Before you start screwing up the engineering of the bike by randomly changing things, make sure you have a reason to do so. The fact that something is repeated over and over doesn't make it true.

You asked for advice. That's mine. Read what is out there and make up your own mind.

Old 05-09-2013, 07:33 AM
tOSUSteve
Road Master
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Not to hi-jack OP's thread - Has anyone taken the temp of the pipe & various places around the motor BEFORE removing the cat & then after to prove at least reduction in heat?

Old 05-09-2013, 07:37 AM
Ultra103
Club Member
Received 805 Likes on 436 Posts

All this talk about 'crosstalk' has me baffled. There is a huge gap at each end of the cat where there is no catalytic material - just space. Look at the second picture HERE to see what I'm talking about.

Now, why in the heck would removing material FURTHER DOWN the pipe increase gas exchange on the tiny reversion pulses in the pipes? - Not to mention that those pulses don't go anywhere near that far or the open space in the chamber would cause problems for the sensors anyway.

Old 05-09-2013, 07:57 AM
my67pnycar
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Oh boy here we go. The cat police is here and here comes the cross talk re-thread,

Quick Reply: Cat advice?