Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Flat repair

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2013, 11:00 AM
Griff012FLHX
Club Member
Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts
Default Flat repair

Ok guys and Gals.
What is the best Flat repair kit out there....
Thanks for your time.

Old 06-19-2013, 11:16 AM
jus2anoyu
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I carry an air pump and a small bottle of slime. I haven't needed it yet, and hope I don't. I've used this stuff for other applications and it works well.

Old 06-19-2013, 11:51 AM
CSMHOG
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 281 Likes on 177 Posts

Well, I guess we need a little more information. What caused the flat?? Which tire?? How many miles are on the tire with the flat?? Personally, I would never repair a tire with a nail or screw if it were my front tire. If it were my back tire, I may repair it but I'd never ride it as if the tire were undamaged. Best bet, replace the tire and be done with it. It's not just worth the consequences. Just my humble opinion.

By the way, I've riden with a tire with three plugs in it before and kept the tire through normal wear out. Lucky I guess, it was the back tire and money was tight at the time. Now I'd just replace the tire.

Last edited by CSMHOG; 06-19-2013 at 01:24 PM.
Old 06-19-2013, 11:55 AM
modes
Road Master
Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Hands down.

http://www.stopngo.com/tubeless-punc...scooters-atvs/

Just used mine for the first time last weekend after it being in my bike 4 1/2 years. I was very impressed and even though it was on a bud's tire I felt safe it would hold perfect for the 130 miles we needed to go. and only $65 for everything needed less a pair of pliers.

Adam

Old 06-19-2013, 01:20 PM
Hammerhead Pat
Stellar HDF Member
Received 897 Likes on 537 Posts

Originally Posted by modes
Hands down.

http://www.stopngo.com/tubeless-punc...scooters-atvs/

Just used mine for the first time last weekend after it being in my bike 4 1/2 years. I was very impressed and even though it was on a bud's tire I felt safe it would hold perfect for the 130 miles we needed to go. and only $65 for everything needed less a pair of pliers.

Adam
+1!! Works like a champ!!!

Old 06-19-2013, 01:25 PM
honestbob
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Tube type or tubeless? For tubes I would recommend a hot patch kit. For tubeless, plug it till you can get a new tire on.

Old 06-19-2013, 02:39 PM
Bender57
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Stop and go is the best.
very easy to use.

Old 06-19-2013, 02:48 PM
jjr60616
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just had a flat rear tire, tubeless, and on a tire with no more than 500 miles on it...
In Chicago, and we have the 2 mph expressways during rush hours, so I usually hit the shoulder and do at least 30 or so there.
Of course, that's where the debris settles and I must have caught a wicked looking 1 1/2 inch long stainless screw, looked like.
Tried to find a tire in a shop locally, all they had in-stock was Dunlops, which I refuse to use. I love the Michelin Commander II's. So until I could order the new one (I'm a stickler about tires...) I went ahead and patched, so I could ride for that weekend and this week.

So I did a smaller patch with the pull-stem that pulls through the nail-hole, after abrading and gluing the surface first.
Then did a larger patch over it.
Burned the excess glue and talcum over it . (I have the DynaBeads for wheel balancing, so can't let the glue stick them)

By the way, since I mentioned the DynaBeads, I'm pretty sure they're the reason I didn't wobble all that much when I caught the flat. I detected a wobble at 70 mph, only when I changed lanes etc, riding the side of the partly deflated tire, nothing when I was going straight. A *BIG* difference in handling from my last flat, that damm near threw me off the bike. So aside from they're working as expected, I now *really* like them.

But I'm pretty sure if I wanted to ride the Michelin Commander I repaired, it would hold. I started out babying it and now had put another 500 miles on it, with no issues at all, and will probably do another 4 to 500 before this Friday, when I'm off work and can change it. If I wasn't so **** about tires, I'd be fine with it. A plug? Not so much.

Old 06-19-2013, 02:49 PM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 616 Likes on 385 Posts

There's a Stop and Go in my saddlebag.

Old 06-19-2013, 03:30 PM
honestbob
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Dyna beads will help handling with a flat rear tire? Hmmmmmmm!

Quick Reply: Flat repair