Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gerbing, Tour Master,Or??? Jacket

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2013, 08:52 PM
Nub_Johnson
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gerbing, Tour Master,Or??? Jacket

Getting cooler here already and I have a couple of long rides planned yet this year. I am looking for a good quality dependable heated jacket liner or vest to keep me on the road. What is your favorite and why?

Old 08-15-2013, 08:56 PM
fat_tony
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 168 Likes on 136 Posts

A heated jacket liner is much better than a vest as it keeps your arms warm too and only costs a minimal amount more when you include the cost of the heat controller. Also the heated collar is wonderful on a cold day. Once you get the heated jacket liner though, you will want the heated gloves that plug into the cuffs. Skip the heated pants though. I just wear motorcycle pants over top of long underwear and have never been too cold with just the heated jacket liner and gloves. When your core is warm, it keeps every thing else warm with blood circulation. Jeans are not air tight so suck in cold weather. Consider getting a dual channel temp controller so you can add gloves later. It does not work well putting gloves and a jacket liner on the same controller. I would stick with either Warm & Safe or Gerbings brand. These need to fit tight over just a long sleeve T shirt to effectively transfer heat. Don't make the mistake of purchasing in too large a size.

I bought both the Gerbing and Tourmaster from mail order and did a side by side comparison. The Gerbings has a much higher level of quality and fit and finish but is also more pricey. Ended up returning the Tourmaster. The Gerbings also has a lifetime guarantee on the electronics (as does Warm & Safe) which I have had to use with defective connectors. Read lots of good things about Warm & Safe but have never seen their product.

Finally don't buy battery powered gear. It does not get nearly as warm as the 12v powered stuff and is pricey.

Last edited by fat_tony; 08-15-2013 at 09:57 PM.
Old 08-15-2013, 09:02 PM
oldhippie
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 114 Likes on 67 Posts

The Gerbing products are very good, but the company has grown and been acquired by another company so it is not the family company it used to be, and I have heard of some issues in quality showing up.

Tour Master is fairly new to electric clothing but an excellent brand name.

Fit, style and price. Whats available in your area? This isn't something to by over the net and get the wrong size.

I'm in New England and ride down into very low temps. I have the heated pants and heated boot liners too.

Old 08-15-2013, 09:10 PM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 882 Likes on 439 Posts

Gerbing. Made in the USA now, and the best warranty in the business.

Old 08-15-2013, 09:10 PM
Magnus
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went with the TourMaster Synergy vest. The main reason was that I felt it was the best bang for the buck and it came with a dual controller. I have ridden for hours in 30-40 degree temps with this vest and heated gloves with no problems. I prefer the vest due to less bulk. I used to have a Gerbins jacket and felt too cramped with the sleeves. I guess if you have a roomy jacket, it might not be so bad. As pointed out above, make sure you don't go too big or you won't reap all the benefits. It should fit very snug over a t- shirt.

Old 08-15-2013, 09:12 PM
atretes1
Road Master
Received 31 Likes on 5 Posts

I bought the HD brand which Gerbring makes, it was on sale so costed the same as Gerbing branded stuff. I heard the best reviews when I was doing my research. Gerbing was the best. I like my gear.

Old 08-15-2013, 09:18 PM
bagman1
Elite HDF Member
Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

Gerbings for the clothing and heatroller by warm and safe for the controller. It is forgiving where the gerbing isnt and can be rebuilt. I have the wireless one. (i am not yelling here, sorry)

Old 08-15-2013, 09:39 PM
brandss
Road Captain
Received 21 Likes on 4 Posts

Nub
I have all kinds of Gerbing gear that I am going to sell, was waiting for the weather to change to advertise. Before you buy, one thing I would suggest is the jacket pant combo from HD, the Illumination style. I have the pants and plan to get the jacket this year. The pants are extremely warm and most of the time I only wear long underwear under them. Gerbing is great but I got tired of dealing with the wires and controller. If you still want Gerbing feel free to PM me. Not sure what size I have but I am 5-10, 225. Also have a complete set I'm selling that my wife used for a season.

Old 08-15-2013, 09:41 PM
bagman1
Elite HDF Member
Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

I'd be interested in the pants. What size?

Old 08-15-2013, 09:47 PM
wheelman38
Tourer
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

I agree with the fat guy above. Got the hd jacket and gear bing gloves. Like riding in my car when it's 35-40.
Best upgrade in da cold.

Quick Reply: Gerbing, Tour Master,Or??? Jacket