Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2014 wethead replacement possibly..

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2013, 12:37 PM
euchre98
Road Master
Received 233 Likes on 161 Posts

What happens is beta testing is done on pre-production parts. Usually made in small batches and get much more scrunity than production parts made in large batches. Manufacturing defects happen. Thats why there is a warranty.

Old 09-04-2013, 12:42 PM
KCFLHRC
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,300 Likes on 780 Posts

Originally Posted by craigcrewcheif
Not meaning to beat on you but that is a ridiculous statement. How do you know how much R&D, man hours and dollars went into developing the new cooling system. Unless you are an engineer with years of engine development experience that statement is what I would expect on the Goldwing Forum. They don't "throw crap out there for the customer to test". There are always issues in first year products with any industrial product.

You call that a cooling system, please! Honda and BMW have a cooling system, this is a joke and a whole lot of hype to get you to buy a new bike. Next year they will water cool a little more, then the next year a little more, until ultimately you will have what should have been put out the first year. What a bunch of BS. Go drink some more of the HD Kool Aid and get back with us. My 03 Honda VTX 1300 water cooled bike was the first year production. Had it 5 years and it never went back to the shop for anything. So go blow that crap elsewhere.

Old 09-04-2013, 01:25 PM
craigcrewcheif
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

You want to get pissy, go for it. You are the one with the "2011 Silver Road King Classic." Why didn't you keep your 03 Honda VTX 1300 "that never went back for anything"? Why did you buy a Harley? Did it make you feel more like a man? This entire forum is filled with every model that was ever made documenting various problems and issues. Why would these be different?
You think you know the whole HD schedule of water cooling in the years to come. Talk about BS!!! You don't know SH** about engineering. You know nothing about industrial production. You are just a complainer.
You are the one who drank the HD Kool Aid. You bought one as did everyone else here, and I am sure your's is perfect! Change is hard and when your model is being phased out you feel everything new is just crap.
So do yourself a favor, sell your HD and go on another forum to bash HD about a bike you never owned or rode and maybe never even saw.
You are entitled to your opinion but opinion isn't fact. You need to learn that.

Old 09-04-2013, 01:36 PM
KCFLHRC
Ultimate HDF Member

You want to get pissy, go for it. You are the one with the "2011 Silver Road King Classic." Why didn't you keep your 03 Honda VTX 1300 "that never went back for anything"? Why did you buy a Harley? Did it make you feel more like a man? This entire forum is filled with every model that was ever made documenting various problems and issues. Why would these be different?
You think you know the whole HD schedule of water cooling in the years to come. Talk about BS!!! You don't know SH** about engineering. You know nothing about industrial production. You are just a complainer.
You are the one who drank the HD Kool Aid. You bought one as did everyone else here, and I am sure your's is perfect! Change is hard and when your model is being phased out you feel everything new is just crap.
So do yourself a favor, sell your HD and go on another forum to bash HD about a bike you never owned or rode and maybe never even saw.
You are entitled to your opinion but opinion isn't fact. You need to learn that.
Man, you sure assume a lot. I'm actually a Telecom Engineer and probably have forgot more than you will ever know about engineering. But nice try. I'm actually glad I have the 11 Model, absolutely no issues with my bike. But if I was going to go back to a water cooled bike it sure wouldn't be this brand. Now run along and do what ever it is you do.

Old 09-04-2013, 01:51 PM
craigcrewcheif
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by KCFLHRC
Man, you sure assume a lot. I'm actually a Telecom Engineer and probably have forgot more than you will ever know about engineering. But nice try. I'm actually glad I have the 11 Model, absolutely no issues with my bike. But if I was going to go back to a water cooled bike it sure wouldn't be this brand. Now run along and do what ever it is you do.
WOW, a Telecom Engineer! Wish I was one. You mentioned that like it is a world class achievement. That's not exactly an authority on industrial production, R&D, road testing, durability and all that goes along with vehicle engineering. And yes you did forget a lot about engineering and I am happy for you that you bought an 11 model with no issues.
You bought a HD because you liked it. If you don't want a water cooled one don't buy one. But from this conversation it's a sure bet you never rode one but we are to take your opinion as fact. Nice try but when someone calls BS you can't produce any facts to back up your "opinion".
Now go **** off.

Old 09-04-2013, 01:55 PM
KCFLHRC
Ultimate HDF Member

WOW, a Telecom Engineer! Wish I was one. You mentioned that like it is a world class achievement. That's not exactly an authority on industrial production, R&D, road testing, durability and all that goes along with vehicle engineering. And yes you did forget a lot about engineering and I am happy for you that you bought an 11 model with no issues.
You bought a HD because you liked it. If you don't want a water cooled one don't buy one. But from this conversation it's a sure bet you never rode one but we are to take your opinion as fact. Nice try but when someone calls BS you can't produce any facts to back up your "opinion".
Now go **** off.

OK, going to go **** off now

Old 09-04-2013, 02:20 PM
DocO
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good news! The techs originally thought that it was an exhaust leak, and after messing with the the header, and even replacing it, guessed that it had to be a head issue. After going through it with a fine tooth comb, the service guy informed me that it's NOT the head at all.. It's a faulty automatic compression release. New part in early next week, bike back by Wednesday..

Old 09-04-2013, 02:31 PM
rooti
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

good news...I'm sure its all HD's fault and they will never be the same.

Funny I've never owned anything mechanical that never broke, maybe I have bad luck

Old 09-04-2013, 03:03 PM
bobros
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's funny how these cyber engineers and Harley bashers have so many opinions of how they know more than 100+ year old manufacturer with hundreds of millions of dollars at stake.

I'm sure the beta bikes were not build on an assembly line. That is where the majority of "issues" occur.

OP, glad it's not a serious issue.

Old 09-04-2013, 03:38 PM
TheMurf
Grand HDF Member
Received 3,669 Likes on 1,670 Posts
Default R & d

I,m sorry to hear your having an issue with your new bike. I'm sure Harley will take care of you and replace the faulty compression release if that is the problem. The Last think they want is bad press with the new water cooled heads and new 014' bikes

Last edited by TheMurf; 09-04-2013 at 03:43 PM.

Quick Reply: 2014 wethead replacement possibly..