Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Passenger Communication

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2013, 08:37 PM
bent trix
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Passenger Communication

I want to talk with my wife while riding (not really - but she wants it). Does anyone know a company that installs rider to passenger communication in helmets?

I don't need music or bike to bike. Since it's time to buy new helmets I would like to get them preinstalled.

Any recommendations?

Old 09-06-2013, 08:41 PM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,424 Likes on 3,313 Posts

You can get a set up from J&M i think it's called the integrator...there are others like Scala rider and SENA...Call Sierra electronics they are pretty good help.

Old 09-06-2013, 08:56 PM
Charlie Fogg
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bent trix
I want to talk with my wife while riding (not really - but she wants it). Does anyone know a company that installs rider to passenger communication in helmets?

I don't need music or bike to bike. Since it's time to buy new helmets I would like to get them preinstalled.

Any recommendations?
I have the harley stuff ( both in helmet and back of head over ear) they work great but I don't use them much.

Old 09-06-2013, 09:26 PM
Mercianbike
6th Gear

Any recommendations?
I've used the Scala set and am currently using the SENA SMH10.

http://www.easternperformance.com/pr...l-Units-2-Pair

I personally like the SENA as far as ease in using the controls. The set is simple to install on just about any helmet so there's no sense in paying someone else to install it. SENA recently got together with Bell Helmets and Bell now has an open-face helmet available designed for one of the SENA headsets.

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/b...-10-clamp-kit#[2039]ePnoEuoEawM

The helmet is kind of the "space cadet" style so if you are image conscious you may not like them. But I like the way the headset becomes an integral part of the helmet and the helmet itself is quite comfortable. The Bluetooth connection to my cell phone is also beneficial for initiating and receiving calls "hands free". I believe, though, most comm sets have this feature.

Last edited by Mercianbike; 09-06-2013 at 10:35 PM. Reason: Better link for helmet description.
Old 09-06-2013, 09:54 PM
bent trix
Tourer

Originally Posted by Charlie Fogg
I have the harley stuff ( both in helmet and back of head over ear) they work great but I don't use them much.
Are the "in helmet" something you would consider selling?

Old 09-06-2013, 10:04 PM
bent trix
Tourer

Thanks for all of the feedback Fellas.

Old 09-06-2013, 10:47 PM
Woofron
Cruiser

I ride a bike with straight pipes and no baffles. Unless I am on the accelerator, the wife has no issues leaning forward and talking with me over my typically right shoulder. We both wear half helmets, so that may be the difference.
My thought is: so many things in life seem to want to separate us as couples, and human beings. It becomes more difficult to really communicate. My wife, hanging onto my waist, with her head on my shoulder is a more intimate communication, even though it may not be as clear as your electronic device. While I appreciate the technology involved ( I'm a computer engineer) anything that promotes intimacy is a step up in my opinion.
Having said all that, good luck with the new stuff. I hope it works well for you.

Old 09-07-2013, 12:30 AM
Charlie Fogg
Road Captain

Are the "in helmet" something you would consider selling?
Sorry no I'm going to hold on to them as we use them a little in colder weather.

Old 09-07-2013, 01:05 AM
CSMHOG
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 281 Likes on 177 Posts

In years past we've used both the hard wired and wireless head sets. Both were a PITA. either the wires get in the way and restrict head movement or the batteries died. Eventually I just told my wife to lean forward and talk over my shoulder. Headsets aren't for us, been there and tried it. I've found without the headsets my wife is mostly only talking when she has something useful to say. Not saying anything bad, but when riding I prefer the chatter to be kept at a minimum.

Old 09-07-2013, 02:30 AM
casbar
Cruiser

Originally Posted by CSMHOG
In years past we've used both the hard wired and wireless head sets. Both were a PITA. either the wires get in the way and restrict head movement or the batteries died. Eventually I just told my wife to lean forward and talk over my shoulder. Headsets aren't for us, been there and tried it. I've found without the headsets my wife is mostly only talking when she has something useful to say. Not saying anything bad, but when riding I prefer the chatter to be kept at a minimum.
I have used wire setups and bluetooth. The bluetooth setups are far better than the wired. Easy to install and work on the whole very well. I use the Scala G9, good piece of kit. The main advantage for me, is it links well with my Garmin, so I can listen to directions. I need glasses to read, so can't read a map off the tank anymore and have trouble seeing the screen on the sat nag. In the UK, so we don't have many long straight roads The intercom works really well, you can always switch it off, if the other half gives you ear ache!

Quick Reply: Passenger Communication