Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Occasional ugly start

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2013, 06:54 PM
grout
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Occasional ugly start

often - 30% of the time I get a grinding non-engaged starter sound. But then next try I get a clean start.
It sounds like a bendix spring issue to me.. My question; it is an 08 EG Classic - do I have a bendix?

Old 09-09-2013, 07:33 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,964 Likes on 1,715 Posts

Starter clutch or ring gear issue

Old 09-09-2013, 08:08 PM
dansflhti
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 34 Posts

As Dawg said it's prob the starter clutch.I had the comp and starter clutch replaced under the extended warranty and it got rid of the ugly starts.I replaced the battery as well,just to give her a fresh start.Pun intended.

Old 09-09-2013, 08:33 PM
decencyxdefied
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 724 Likes on 483 Posts

Compensator

Old 09-09-2013, 09:01 PM
grout
Novice

How tough is it to get to the starter clutch? Half assed mechanic.. is it a DIY?

Old 09-09-2013, 09:14 PM
X Iron Butt
Supporter
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Mine was the starter clutch (Bendix). I put in an all ***** and it was fixed. The starter is pretty easy to get out and work on on the bench (especially with true dual exhaust). I rebuilt my solenoid while I had it apart. Follow the instructions when putting in new contact terminals in the solenoid, if you rotate them when tightening they will fret quickly due to less surface contact area. Some of the "O" rings are discontinued by HD but they have them at the vintage parts store through your dealer. Sometimes you have to tell them to look there. Compensator failure is diagnosed for this a lot but very expensive to replace for one that may not be any better and you still have a bad starter clutch. If you take the starter apart you will be able to tell if it is not engaging because it will be difficult to move it on the shaft. I tried to rotate my clutch with an 18" pipe wrench and a vise and could not get it to budge but it was definitely grinding under start load. It is supposed to free turn one direction and lock up in the other. Check for fretting on the surface that mates to the inner primary as this is where the starter gets it's ground. Make sure this area is clean when re installing. Be sure and get the updated torque spec for the starter bolts as they were raised on a service bulletin. The heavy wire is HOT so deal with it accordingly. $115.00.

Good Luck

Old 09-09-2013, 09:21 PM
grout
Novice

Thanks Ironbutt, This will be my Dec-Jan project I guess. I am sure it will not be an issue before then. But it will be if I pretend it will get better on its own, Thanks for the info.

Looks like me - the shop manuel - and the - garage this winter

Old 09-09-2013, 09:33 PM
X Iron Butt
Supporter
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Hey Grout This is not really a winter project. You can turn the whole job in a couple of hours if you have the parts. You can see the ring gear through the hole with the starter off jus need to look close. BTW You can push start these things but it aint easy.

Old 09-09-2013, 10:52 PM
HTNHARD
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Compensator. Solved all my starting issues on my 08.

Old 09-10-2013, 05:13 AM
grout
Novice

appreciate the help guys.. Iron Butt - guess I'll get parts !!

Quick Reply: Occasional ugly start