Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Speedometer Problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2013, 12:42 PM
THEXFILES
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speedometer Problem

I have a 2000 Electra glide classic, while riding, the speedo works fine sometimes and times it bounces all over the place or does not work at all. I went to a Harley dealer and bought a brand new Speed Sensor and still have the same problems, so I yanked the speedo
and I noticed a sticker on the side where it was swapped out in 2010( I bought this bike in 2013 of may)...anyone have this problem in the past ? I am stumped on what to do beside a new speedo? And now I have seen the speedo has been replaced i do not know how many ACTUAL miles are on the bike

Old 09-10-2013, 01:11 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 394 Likes on 336 Posts

what part number is the speedo?

I have a bunch on my garage.

Depending on Ohio DMV, you may be able to track back the actual miles, if they are reported at an annual inspection ( some do, some don't)
some titles are marked if the mileage is accurate or if it is not, again varies by State

if the speedo is replaced by a dealer- in most cases the mileage from the old speedo is programmed into the new one.

If you can show a paper trail that you were screwed you may have legal recourse.

as you know now, the sensor can be a problem, often a matter of wiping off the tip with a rag.
your problem may be deeper.

gps?

mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 09-10-2013 at 01:14 PM.
Old 09-10-2013, 05:30 PM
im
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 792 Likes on 603 Posts

Originally Posted by THEXFILES
I have a 2000 Electra glide classic, while riding, the speedo works fine sometimes and times it bounces all over the place or does not work at all. I went to a Harley dealer and bought a brand new Speed Sensor and still have the same problems, so I yanked the speedo
and I noticed a sticker on the side where it was swapped out in 2010( I bought this bike in 2013 of may)...anyone have this problem in the past ? I am stumped on what to do beside a new speedo? And now I have seen the speedo has been replaced i do not know how many ACTUAL miles are on the bike
Does the bike run OK? while it could be a speed sensor it could also be a nicked wire or incomplete /loose connection along wire harness or within fairing neck.
Speedometers get changed sometimes do to various reasons.
Does the sticker have any information like old miles/ new miles calibration etc.?

Old 09-10-2013, 10:54 PM
THEXFILES
6th Gear

Bike runs great, speedo lights up, turn signals work great only thing is the speedo needle jumps all around, I just replaced the speed sensor with a new from a dealership and it does the same thing, What gets me the most the music on the bike is tied to it somehow, so when I am doing 55 and the needle drops so does the music, it is really fustrating. mkguitar I will get you part number in the morning, harleys number is 349-00 but that was not the part number on the speedo.

Old 09-10-2013, 11:07 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member

hmmm, seem to recall that there is a way to disconnect the audio level control from the speedo.

hopefully someone smart will come along...

that radio was made by radio sound- they may be able to tell you if a wire can be disconnected the defeat the audio volume...

I don't have a wiring diagram for your model

mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 09-10-2013 at 11:16 PM.
Old 09-11-2013, 12:41 AM
THEXFILES
6th Gear

I have a aftermarket radio with a biketronics adapter that plugs into the wire harness to allow for hand controls to work with after market radio's

Old 09-11-2013, 01:16 AM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member

hmm, check with biketronics- if the radio is what is bumming you, you can solve that now...then figure out the speedo in time.

mike

Old 09-11-2013, 08:49 AM
Buffalolake
Cruiser
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I had the same problem with my 2001 Electra Glide Classic. The speedo would quit and the radio volume would drop, then it both would start working again. I changed the speed sensor, it didn't help. I finally pulled off the front of the fairing and started cleaning every electrical connection that I could find with electrical contact cleaner. One of the connections had a lot of corrosion in it. After that, speedo worked fine.

Old 09-11-2013, 08:57 AM
Buffalolake
Cruiser
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

BTW, the factory radio is designed to raise the volume while cruising and lower it while idling. So when the speedo doesn't get a signal from the speed sensor, it assumes that you are idling and turns the volume down. Turn signal canceler will quit working as well.

Old 09-11-2013, 10:43 AM
THEXFILES
6th Gear

mkguitar, i added some pics of the speedo, let me know if you have one like it, thanks a lot !

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...ps6cd0c588.jpg

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...ps45725e67.jpg

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...psa2e323d9.jpg

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...ps3b443cc2.jpg

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...ps91c892c1.jpg

And i have had the fairing off and all connections are clean, no corrosion anywhere

Last edited by THEXFILES; 09-11-2013 at 10:49 AM.

Quick Reply: Speedometer Problem